Author Topic: My first concours  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
My first concours
« on: December 21, 2018, 02:51:19 am »
So I just picked up this ugly duckling for 700. It's an 09 with 43k miles. Bad news is that the previous owner lost the keys and wrecked it. Minor cosmetic damage, needs a left peg, bags, and a couple of small things like the battery cover.

I know about the heart breaking price of the kipass issues but I've got a line on an ECU and key combo for 300 bucks Lea ing me to get it programed and to find a lock set since the previous owner stupidly thought he could bypass the kipass system and drilled out the ignition lock. But it's got a clean title. I'll get pictures up tomorrow.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: My first concours
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 02:56:29 am »
Welcome and good luck with the repairs!
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:08:54 am »
"Lost the keys and wrecked it" sounds like he wanted the insurance money when he found out how much it was going to cost to replace the keys, haha.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:05:00 pm »
So I just picked up this ugly duckling for 700. It's an 09 with 43k miles. Bad news is that the previous owner lost the keys and wrecked it. Minor cosmetic damage, needs a left peg, bags, and a couple of small things like the battery cover.

I know about the heart breaking price of the kipass issues but I've got a line on an ECU and key combo for 300 bucks Lea ing me to get it programed and to find a lock set since the previous owner stupidly thought he could bypass the kipass system and drilled out the ignition lock. But it's got a clean title. I'll get pictures up tomorrow.

Look here for parts                           

[url=https://www.murphskits.com/index.php?cPath=130&osCsid=AtJW0hIKjgWvsLDg1dfRW2]https://www.murphskits.com/index.php?cPath=130&osCsid=AtJW0hIKjgWvsLDg1dfRW2

'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 08:12:05 pm »
John, sounds like a great winter  project and just barely broke in. Good luck, Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 04:57:25 am »
And now for some pics

Got the new ECU and key on the way, popped a few of the parts on and started taking inventory.

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Training Wheels
  • "SPORT" tourer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 11:34:36 am »
 Nice score, sounds like you can get her running on the cheap and a little love you have an awesome motorcycle. I very recently saw some battery access doors/covers on Evilbay and was surprised how inexpensive they are, several listed between $7.00 - $15.00 that won't brake the bank.

Nice size shop you have there, got room for a few more bikes for sure :great:

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 12:36:58 pm »
Haha, not my shop just left it at work until I can pretty it up. My 1 car garage at the house is full with a zrx, a kdx, a pit bike, and a riding lawnmower and a old Porsche 928 project. I think this is going to move the Porsche outside for a bit....

Offline Canman

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 05:08:39 pm »
That's heck of a deal! I paid more.for my salvage bike that has a lot more damage. Good luck with it.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 06:59:52 pm »
Good luck to you both Fox and Canman!! Keep us updated on your rebuild projects! It's always a good to see these bikes back on the road.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 08:59:02 pm »

APPLICABLE KEY BLANKS;

http://forum.cog-online.org/general-information-57/key-blanks-75052/

You will need Key blanks, to go along with the FOBs in the picture you posted of the ECU/FOB purchase
(no actual keys will be sent for the fobs, they need to be cut from blanks, noted above, to match the one "stove knob" key for the ignition switch...noted below)

LINK FOR OTHER PARTS ASSOCIATED, LIKE TRIM PIECES AND IGNITION SWITCH PARTS...

https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/30828/2009/ZG1400A9F

YOU WILL NEED AN IGNITION SWITCH MODULE, AND IT COMES WITH A KEY AS AN ASSEMBLY.

27006-0060   SWITCH-IGNITION

Make sure to purchase this and install it, before any attempts to install the ECU and attempting programming for it, as it should all be done at the same time, using the KDS3 programming unit.
This insures you can actually program the new fobs, that came with the ECU, thru the ignition switch(new) via the "passive" feature of KiPass, it's all explained in the Programming manual, and the dealership you use must understand the process prior to attempting to do "new install programming" for those items.
Also, make sure to retain any "labels and tags" associated with the FOB bags and wrappers, they contain vital programming numbers, and once lost, make the FOBs un usable... write down everything on those FOB labels and tags...
Best of luck, It looks like you have your work cut out to get it going, but at least you found an ECU with Fobs, for an unbelievable price, you are 3/4 of the way to making it run...
Please share the source of that ECU purchase with us... we need it for our files...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 11:38:31 pm »
Made an offer on a nos one i found on flea bay. It had been on a dealer shelf in Arkansas for a few years. Got a feeling they just wanted it gone. But yea had I not found the ECU and fob I would have never bought it.

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 11:40:08 pm »
Also how can I figure out if this bike has abs?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 11:44:35 pm »
You should be able to go to the kawasaki website and find that out in the owner support section.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline flashback50

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 11:55:05 pm »

Just look for the ABS sensor and ring on the wheels. Easy to see.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 11:58:30 pm »

simply look at the bike...
ABS models have a sticker on the fender, noting ABS, and there will be a "sensing ring" and sensor, on the  right side of the front rim, and fork. where the axle protrudes.

also, there will be an ABS pump assembly in the rear of the battery "cave" where the ABS pump lives.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 12:09:31 am »
Made an offer on a nos one i found on flea bay. It had been on a dealer shelf in Arkansas for a few years. Got a feeling they just wanted it gone. But yea had I not found the ECU and fob I would have never bought it.

I think you are the luckiest person in the world, with the find, as it may be correct... can't blow the photo up without distorting the numbers, but the photo seems to be of the correct group of parts... if so, you saved a significant $$$$ figure...

that ECU/FOB set should have the number
   21175-0183   CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRONIC

if so, you found gold... and send me a link to that dealer( please.. don't post it up here, send me a link via p/m) if he has another set... I want them all...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:12:48 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 12:26:32 am »
so, as I noted, you still need an ignition switch with key, don't be tempted to buy one from E-bay, as I know you have been searching... a switch/key assembly is worthless from that standpoint, unless there is a passive (card type) or active (actuall FOB) included with it... yes, you will get a key, and a switch, if you buy OEM Kaw for $600, but an e-bay scrap out part, missing a key, or otherwise, will not help you at all. E-bay hooked ya up, if you find a complete NOS assembly I noted for the switch, go for it, a wrecked bike switch... steer clear of..

best of luck, and after you scored that ECU/FOB combo, send me a lottery ticket, because your are blessed for sure...
 :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 01:42:39 am »
So a used switch, key and lock set is useless without a passive or active fob even if you are replacing the ECU at the same time?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 06:26:27 am »

I don't think it is. It appears there is a lack of the round ABS light indicator below the "13" on the TAC and the front fender doesn't read 'ABS". But as others have said the check of the VIN should say for sure.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 12:19:36 pm »

It's non ABS, 1st picture shows that.

if so, you found gold... and send me a link to that dealer( please.. don't post it up here, send me a link via p/m) if he has another set... I want them all...

Post it here so everyone can have look. No reason to share it with just one person.
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 02:49:17 pm »
Judging by what the seller also has listed on eBay I doubt they are more of them. More than likely they ordered one for a customer but it was never paid for.

I but in case anyone wants to check the sellers name was raw powersports out of Arkansas.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 08:58:47 pm »
So a used switch, key and lock set is useless without a passive or active fob even if you are replacing the ECU at the same time?

When I cautioned about an E-Bay scenario, it is because there is no way to know if what you are buying is actually fully functional, or for the year of production you have. There have been quite a few Ignition switch issues on these models, and an E-bay one may have been a non functioning unit (i.e., will not actuate).

But, if one is fully functional, and has the original Stove Knob key, and is cheap, give it a try..
as a fully functioning Ignition switch is critical to the Programming sequence.

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2018, 06:55:20 am »
Thanks for the clarification. I'll see if there are any cheap enough to think about making a swing for. At least if I pickup one with a gas cap and seat lock it won't be a complete waste.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2018, 08:55:30 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. I'll see if there are any cheap enough to think about making a swing for. At least if I pickup one with a gas cap and seat lock it won't be a complete waste.

:-\

wow, that also.... totally slipped my mind I was just thinking about making the bike run...
but being able to remove the seat, and also open the gastank would be kinda important also..

DOH  :-[ :-[ :-[

sorry, I was focusing on the ignition, and not the bigger picture... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

yes, I'd seek those parts also....

the parts "grouping" that covers that ccomplete set of locks, with keys; (ignition switch, gastank lockset,both bag latch/lock assemblies, and seat lock: with 2 keys for each except 1 for the ignition, all keyed alike) is 
p/n    27045-5395 SWITCH-ASSY and costs $1150, but mind you, that set also includes both saddlebag latch assemblies, with keys..

if you don't have bags, and aren't needing those parts, you end up buying individual lockset parts with keys:
27006-0060 SWITCH-IGNITION $650
27016-5350 LOCK-ASSY,SEAT $54
21007-5062 ROTOR,LOCK TANK CAP $90
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 09:20:56 pm by MAN OF BLUES »