Author Topic: My first concours  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: My first concours
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 11:55:37 pm »
yea, i'm going to be in this one a bit more than i had originally hoped. but after I put another 100k on it I can probably still break even lol.

been reading more and more and it's going to be hard not to modify this one. I thought the ZRX was bad enough about being a money pit, but hell I guess anytime Maw Kaw puts a ZX motor in something more comfy the urge to go back to the original motor spec is hard to refuse.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 12:20:35 am »
yea, i'm going to be in this one a bit more than i had originally hoped. but after I put another 100k on it I can probably still break even lol.

been reading more and more and it's going to be hard not to modify this one. I thought the ZRX was bad enough about being a money pit, but hell I guess anytime Maw Kaw puts a ZX motor in something more comfy the urge to go back to the original motor spec is hard to refuse.

FOX
to put it into perspective, consider a running pristine '09, is going for $5k
you have a cash output of $700, and are now looking at parts.
It wasn't ever going to be a $1k toss of $$, making it the same.
That said, becoming intimate with the machine, and building it... well, some people think its worth the time and effort... that dollar figure flys right out the window. I myself have built wrecks to final product, and know the amount of $$$$$ and time is not for everyone.

having said that, don't shortcut; it will always come back and cost more.
would I have bought a wrecked/compromised C14, the bike you bought, after I looked it over completely...?

yes, I would have. but then, I have the time, experience, and means, to resurrect one of this state.. I don't think that 90% of the populace actually do have that same tenacity.

I really wish you well with the project, just once again I'll note; some parts must be taken seriously, and done in the proper manner... bondo and body work isn't even in the equation, making it run is what it's about.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 12:52:50 am »
yup, absolutely taking a chance on 70 bucks worth of ignition switch, stove knob, gas cap, and seat lock and cable. They had a video posted of the bike running so I figure that means the ignition switch should be good. If I run into any issues, that switch will be the first stop.  I lucked out last year and bought a '97 Ducati 916 that just wound up needing a fairing painted and a full fluid change and valve adjustment. Wanted to love that bike so much but it was so damn uncomfortable I made a grand and sold it to a suck..(friend) of mine that is skinnier lol.

Any cosmetic scratches aren't going to bother me in the least as long as all the fairings are flapping in the breeze lol, this is supposed to be the reliable daily driver while I take the ZRX to stupid levels of mods.

But the vast majority of parts are going to be here by next wed so if all goes well it'll be purring under its own power before the end of January.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 01:28:20 am »
yup, absolutely taking a chance on 70 bucks worth of ignition switch, stove knob, gas cap, and seat lock and cable. They had a video posted of the bike running so I figure that means the ignition switch should be good. If I run into any issues, that switch will be the first stop.  I lucked out last year and bought a '97 Ducati 916 that just wound up needing a fairing painted and a full fluid change and valve adjustment. Wanted to love that bike so much but it was so damn uncomfortable I made a grand and sold it to a suck..(friend) of mine that is skinnier lol.

Any cosmetic scratches aren't going to bother me in the least as long as all the fairings are flapping in the breeze lol, this is supposed to be the reliable daily driver while I take the ZRX to stupid levels of mods.

But the vast majority of parts are going to be here by next wed so if all goes well it'll be purring under its own power before the end of January.
sweet
do you have, or have you canvased local Kaw dealerships, that can say without any uncertainty, they KNOW how to program, and deal with synchronizing the new components (without having to read the manuals over and over during the process) using the KDS3 programmer, and if their programmer software is updated to make sure they have the cables, and software to assist you?

the whole process, if they have every thing straight, and you installed everything correctly (including a FULLY charged good battery), should take less than an hour of time.

personally I'm very happy for you, you have done due diligence, and I hope this turns out well.
I've made many posts to people this year, who never went to the extent you have done, which is "walking the walk, without the talking the walk"..

I hope for your great success..

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 04:02:12 am »
I've called about 7 or 8 dealers in the state. Oddly enough the only one who seemed to actually know about KDS3, and the fact that a connie with no FOBs is an expensive proposition is about 5 miles from where I found the bike.... I'm thinking that either they've done it before, or this guy tried bringing it in and they failed to be able to do it without an original fob or the new ecu. another dealer said yes they've done it but didn't seem 100 percent confident. I may have to go all the way to georgia to find one that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 12:27:27 am »
.... I may have to go all the way to georgia to find one that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

well, if you are going that far, get in touch with Steve In Sunny Florida...

http://forum.cog-online.org/shoodaben-engineering/about-shoodaben-engineering-and-my-services/msg622121/#msg622121

he's got a KDS, and knows how to use it, and also is very well versed (to put it mildly) on the C14...

He's the only other person I trust in the world, when discussing this stuff... but then, we're pals. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Fox

• Tricycle
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2018, 11:57:45 am »
Thanks for the heads up on him. I'll definitely look into it, maybe I'll snag one of his tunes too.