Author Topic: My first Coolant refill - 08 Connie  (Read 688 times)

Offline Ram

• Bicycle
  • 08 Concours 14
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
My first Coolant refill - 08 Connie
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:25:03 pm »
This is my first Connie and I have never added Coolant on this one. I observed that the level when parked is now hovering very close to the L mark which means it is time to fill up. I was trying to look for instructions on how to do it the easiest and it seems on the 08, I can pop out the panel on the top where the newer models have glove box.

My question is which Coolant brand to use? It has some green one currently and I rather refill without needing to drain it. Any help will be appreciated as I didnt see any concrete answers about this topic.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti
07 Boulevard C90 - Sold, 06 Katana 600 - Sold, 06 V Star 650 - Sold, 96 Royal Enfield - Gone, 95 Yezdi Roadking - Gone

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
Re: My first Coolant refill - 08 Connie
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:47:39 pm »
If you're still on factory coolant you're WAY overdue for replacement, in my opinion.

I'd remove the left fairing and do a proper drain/fill.

I use Honda Type II coolant.  You can get a gallon jug at a Honda car dealer for under $20.  It's great stuff!
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline Matthew

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:26:23 pm »
Mine needs to be changed out on my 2008 also, I was going to do it when I get to the valve adjustment. I'm at 16k miles now, it'll probably happen this fall/winter.

Offline Cheesit414

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12140
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 02:41:54 am »
2 years ago when I bought a used 08 Connie I did a coolant change not knowing if PO had ever done it. I used red Asian formula zerex. When I got it full and started burping it the red coolant was coming out brown. Icouldn't believe my eyes. I assume it sucked up all the p-hoat content so I drained it refilled it with new coolant. Now it burped normal colored coolant. I noticed on the next trip in mid 90s the temp was running 1 to 2 bars cooler and NEVER topped out like on a previous trip and that was after installing a Cox radiator guard. It was a lot of body panels to take off but was worth it. I will be changing it again this season.
AMA#395694
COG#12140

Offline Ram

• Bicycle
  • 08 Concours 14
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 03:02:46 pm »
I dont know much history of the bike other than the fact that I am possibly like 4th owner. With 63K under the belt, I am not so sure if this is the factory Coolant. The color looks like the green stuff. It seems like its better to drain and refill it rather than just topping it.
Looks like a big project.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti
07 Boulevard C90 - Sold, 06 Katana 600 - Sold, 06 V Star 650 - Sold, 96 Royal Enfield - Gone, 95 Yezdi Roadking - Gone

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:17:57 pm »
Looks like a big project.
It's really not.  Honestly, this is one of the easier maintenance procedures for these bikes.

If you don't have a factory service manual, yet, do yourself a favor and buy one.  Then just grab a six pack of your favorite beverage, and take your time.  It isn't a hard process.  But maintenance is always better when you're not rushing.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 05:45:20 pm »
All it takes is removing the left side fairing, getting an appropriate containment vessel, remove the drain bolt from the water pump and flush it out with distilled water until clear. Refill with coolant mix of choice. I’ll be filling mine with Engine Ice when I get around to doing my valve adjustment.

Edit: I lied. You have to take off the right side too to get to the cap.

Offline Cheesit414

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12140
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 02:06:28 am »
You should be  fine with a nonsilicate universal coolant until you get a chance to do a flush. No silicates is the important part.
AMA#395694
COG#12140

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:56:25 am »
Here's what I've been using since my first coolant change.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3712-hp-coolant

Yeah, I'm sure that less expensive stuff can be had but the bike doesn't use that much and this stuff is formulated for exactly what the C14 calls for.

You guys who have '08s and '09s who have never done a coolant swap, you had better get on it! The interval is 2 or 3 years max.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline Ram

• Bicycle
  • 08 Concours 14
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 06:51:27 pm »
Thank you all for your feedback. I am going to embark on this project shortly and will have my report card once done.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 01:19:57 pm »
You can also use any color Zerex Asian Car Coolant that can be found at most auto parts stores and Wal-mart

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 11:02:48 pm »
Go Ram, go!

:popcorncouple:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 10:00:39 pm »
You should know that when you remove the drain bolt from the water pump the coolant will probably shoot out farther than you woeld expect so be duly prepared with your catch pan.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 11:32:00 pm »
:iagree: No Bull there. I've gotten wet twice knowing it was going to shoot out. I also understand any of the green stuff will work for anti freeze. I used a 50/50 mix. Next time I think I will use straight anti freeze and distilled water along with some engine ice.

The water drain bolt on the water pump has a copper gasket which is used for the seal. I would have a few well nuts handy because there is always one or two that break during disassembly. Taking the plastic off the first time will seem a little over whelming but it gets easier every time or so it seems. I purchased a set of TEE handled Allen wenches which I like. Good luck.   

Murphy's has a good price on a bag of well nuts. 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki