Author Topic: My highest MPG yet!  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
My highest MPG yet!
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:42:38 am »
Just burned through a tank of gas and punched the calculator buttons.
What?! Double checked again...58.7 MPG.  :-\

Must of had more tail wind these last few rides than I thought. My best yet and I mostly ride in ECO mode. ALL highway miles.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12507
Re: My highest MPG yet!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:43:33 am »
That's outrageous! I get 38 or so with little variation.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 11,000 and counting

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:01:53 am »
I love the C-14's engine! Traveling with a pillion last year netted 55 MPG on the highway. Got 56 mpg traveling I-80 at 80 mph. Obviously not seeing triple digits with that mileage. A Wyoming tailwind might get you 65MPG if you continued east only   :)

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11886
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:59:08 am »
On the subject of gas mileage, my indicator will generally show something on the order of 42-48mpg, but seems like those bars indicating remaining fuel goes down a lot quicker than they used to do.  There is a Go Mart some 20 miles or so north of me on I77 and it has hills, curves, etc. and for a brief ride will go there and it is sparsely patrolled by "blue lights" and can open it up quite a bit and yes the speed is something over the stated 70mph and those fuel level bars go down seemingly quickly.  Would guess speed is something over 80mph but less than 100mph and not in Eco mode.  May take a run there today and actually record the miles and fill the tank before going and measure refill upon return to see just what it is doing.  I'll do it couple times, one in Eco mode and other full power and same speeds.  Soon to take that 200 mile trip and will monitor it even closer, but for all the great riding this bike offers, cost of fuel is a small price to pay. 

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9812
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 12:24:29 pm »
You got 58 mpg out of a C14? That's 18 mpg more than I have ever got out of a tank.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Tommy

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 01:43:06 pm »
So far, my best has been 54.1 MPG (actual not display).
My display typically reads 3-4 MPG higher than actual.
I always use the ECO mode. Fuel mapping is much better in ECO. Not as jerky as Normal mode.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:33:03 pm »
We do have strong tail winds here in Wyoming.
Heading east will almost always give you much better mileage than heading west.

If your ride takes you east and you get lucky with a storm, you will get a push heading back west. But you have to be pretty darn lucky.

My bike computer is also more optimistic than a real calculator. My average is typically 54 MPG using Eco mode.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 05:57:32 pm »
Best I've had since '07 in the late fall was 54 mpg, two up, from Va down thru Ga, and back up thru HHI after I did my first valve adjust, I attribute it to new air filter...
Have had 50 mpg runs south tho, even pulling my HF trailer, and again, I can only add that when my mpg starts getting down to 41 as an average, its time to change air filter.... :great:
Worst calculated mpg I ever had was on a return trip from SC, two up, loaded trailer, and driving headlong thru torrential rains the whole way, including a two hour pucker stretch of road thru a tornado, which if it wasn't raining and blowing 60 mph in our face would have taken about 45 minutes to run...
That days average was 36 mpg, and mostly caused by the weather... after overnighting in a motel, the following day filled up and finishing our trip, in sunny weather, it was back to 44 mpg.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 10:54:23 am »
I got 52 MPG once on a run to Idaho even before the flash using ECO mode.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline SteveO

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 05:43:18 am »
Best mileage for me was 42 and the lowest was 33. I have taken the average mileage over long trips that will last a week or longer and the average is always around 38. I never use the eco mode. The bikes fuel management system seems to have a mind of it's own that is somewhat distant from reality.  ::)
If a cornering situation requires more lean angle than you can comfortably produce, you become road bait.

Offline curt1480

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 09:09:53 pm »
With the windshield set low and riding it during break in and keeping the rpm's low netted 47 mph.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 09:22:12 pm »
I have gotten mathematically correct 48++  several times riding 2 lanes 65-70 mph back and forth to N Georgia. This with full bags, a tall ceebailey shield, and my svelt self. You know about the ecu... and I do not use eco.

I have seen lots of 50+ on the interstate 75-80 while developing the current offering.  Is it ok to say this? Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline d04011

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 09:57:59 pm »
Rough winter here in Maine with LOTS of snow and then serious rain, my dirt road FINALLY got dry enough to get the C-14 out after getting my SISF Decel flash upgraded to the Evo.  Haven't ridden it in 5 months so I realize I am not pushing it as hard as usual but I got 47mpg over 2 tanks (300+ miles).  The extra miles are nice but I am more excited about the performance.  I would have even gladly traded fewer mpg for this enhanced level of performance.
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2012 H-D Fat Bob
1984 Honda V-65 Sabre

Offline Lemon

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 01:20:25 am »
Is anybody using a computer/app to record their continuous and overall MPG? I discovered the app 'Fuelly' when I began riding my KLX250 a couple years ago. You sign up online at their website and then download the app to your smart phone or tablet. Fill out your vehicle information and then when you stop for gas you input your total distance (on the odometer, not the distance traveled on the tank), the price of gas, and the volume you filled up with. It will send you a text message saying your current mpg on the last tank, your overall average, and back on their website it keeps track of your stops, fill-ups, total gas used, and price paid overall.

Makes it easier than using a calculator at each stop.

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 08:23:51 pm »
My highest yet was 50.7 mpg.  This was last June riding a combination of 2 lane back roads in the mountains of N.H. (included riding Kangamangus Hwy, one side to the other) and highway miles.

If you look at my Fuelly icon below you can see the average mpg since the bike was new.  When you track your mileage in Fuelly it's interesting to see the mpg's rise and fall with the change in seasons.

I average around 47 mpg in the warmest months and around 40 mpg in the coldest months.

If you click on the Fuelly icon below you can see what I'm talking about.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 08:24:33 pm »
Is anybody using a computer/app to record their continuous and overall MPG? I discovered the app 'Fuelly' when I began riding my KLX250 a couple years ago. You sign up online at their website and then download the app to your smart phone or tablet. Fill out your vehicle information and then when you stop for gas you input your total distance (on the odometer, not the distance traveled on the tank), the price of gas, and the volume you filled up with. It will send you a text message saying your current mpg on the last tank, your overall average, and back on their website it keeps track of your stops, fill-ups, total gas used, and price paid overall.

Makes it easier than using a calculator at each stop.

I'm using an absolutly wonderful app on my android phone called FillUp. No ads and free as in FREE!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.wdkapps.fillup

It does everything. Plots graphs, has logs, export data and easy to use. I track all my vehicles using this app.

Offline Spiderman

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12420
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 08:48:28 pm »
If you get your speedometer calculated with a Speedohealer by Healtech , you will find your mileage is` nt as great as you thought it was. My 2010 was off 6.2%. With stock tires.    >:( >:(

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 01:07:11 am »
I can't get how people are getting over 50Mpg on the C14.  I mean, I get it, I'm a yeti, and ride with the shield all the way up.  This nets me (computer calculated, haven't tested receipts yet) just shy of 39mpg.

This is in a fairly flat part of WI doing a large amount of highway mileage. 

maybe I'm just too meat fisted  :motonoises:

Offline Goldfingers

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:17 am »
My 09 gets it's best mileage 70 degrees or higher temp at 3500 rpm. The colder it gets the lower the mileage.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline strum

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 08:13:21 am »
My 09 gets it's best mileage 70 degrees or higher temp at 3500 rpm. The colder it gets the lower the mileage.

i noticed the same thing on my 08 .
 Best ive seen is 42mpg .
On the screen not calculated
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 06:36:14 pm »

Absolutely correct, and it gets even better at 80*. The ecu richens the mixture when it's cold - and it can get pretty darn rich. I've see my mileage go from 34 to 44 on the highway, same speed same day... except the 34 was at high 40's in the morning  and the 44 was high 70's in the afternoon. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9812
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 05:48:56 pm »
The height and size of your windshield will have a big effect on mileage.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 09:41:46 pm »
No one brags about their worst...but looking at my data, I see my worst MPG at around 32 back in October, just before parking it for the winter.
My past 12 month average comes to 49.8.

I'm a short rider and yes, I keep the winshield down unless I'm fighting a nasty headwind.

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 07:09:04 pm »
yeah, i'm 6'9", 300lb, so the windshield is all the way up, and she's still pulling a barn door through the wind. 

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 01:18:24 am »
What gets me the most is that my numbers seem to be low compared to what others are getting, seems like most are getting mid to upper 40's?

I mean I can get if people are getting upper 30's and I'm at mid 30's.  I'm a barn door, and weigh enough, she's going two up, but it makes me wonder if there is anything I can do.  Will tires make a difference?  Should I look at bearings? could my head bearing make a difference?  greasing the shaft?