Author Topic: Need advice, opinions, on intercoms  (Read 666 times)

Offline 66ranger

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12423
  • Membership Level: Active
Need advice, opinions, on intercoms
« on: April 12, 2017, 01:25:03 pm »
I am looking into intercoms and would like input from those who have invested.  More interested in bike to bike, but would also like other input.  Thanks

Offline Clem

• Looking for twisties in the flatlands
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11353
Re: Need advice, opinions, on intercoms
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:01:40 pm »
I'm a big fan of Sena, have used the MH10 I think it is for maybe three years now and just love it.
Being able to talk to a fellow rider on a trip is a game changer.
I can think of four occasions where I paired up with a rider that had one for a day trip, no trouble at all.
Listen to music from my I-Phone via Bluetooth, again just works great.
2001 C10, lightly farkled

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 04:15:59 pm »
SENA is my brand also. Came from Interphone and there is no comparison between the 2.

I currently have the SMH10's and have recently replaced the OEM battery with a higher milliamp rating. The old batteries were not lasting as long as when new, mine are now 3+ years old.

I will be a SENA fan till the end.

I am waiting on the new SENA 10U to be fitted to the new Shoei RF1200. Check it out on the SENA website. Fully PnP and modular. No more attaching it to the side of a helmet, its all internal on the new 10U

https://www.sena.com/product/10u/
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline smithr1

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 04:24:18 pm »
My issue with the 10U I have not heard much comment on.  So what if that lithium battery decides to flame out?  Your head is the closest thing to it right?  That would make for a bad day.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline belkerx3

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:17:51 pm »
Sena SMH10 hands down. I've tried chatterbox and J&M and I'm a Sena customer for life.

Offline sfsokc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 10667
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 08:42:01 pm »
Perhaps some have used Cardo Systems headsets.  I bought a pair of Scala Rider Q3s a couple years ago.  Needless to say, I've NOT been happy with them.  One side often cuts out in my earphones and I've also had issues getting them to pair at times.  For the $$$ you spend on these things, performance should be WAY better!  So, take this as a brand I DON'T recommend!  At least that has been my experience with them...

Offline mattchewn

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:57:17 pm »
The newer Scala systems work fantastic. I have had the old Q2's the G9, the G9X and now use the Pack Talk. I really like the pack talk version.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Motor Psycho

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12190
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 08:57:50 pm »
Sena SMH10, going on three years, still on original batteries, and seen plenty of rain. Replacement batteries can be bought for $8 each.

Offline Gixerhp

• Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:15:50 pm »
The newer Scala systems work fantastic. I have had the old Q2's the G9, the G9X and now use the Pack Talk. I really like the pack talk version.
Matt
Same here, i had G4, and Now the G9, and just ordered the Duo
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:49 pm »
I had  scala g3's (iirc) now the g9's. no comparison. the g9's work as advertised. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:57 pm »
My issue with the 10U I have not heard much comment on.  So what if that lithium battery decides to flame out?  Your head is the closest thing to it right?  That would make for a bad day.

Never heard of a SENA battery going nuclear before. My replacements were lithium polymer just like the originals. Heated helmet, oh I like that idea!
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline SofaKingFast

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »
I have the Sena 20S in the newer helmet and it's awesome.  I have a Sena 10SMH in my older helmet, and it's OK, but I would definitely spend the few extra $ for the 20S, and here's why.  Sound is better and louder.  It has a longer range to it.  Sena 20S has a built-in FM radio.  The 20S works with the Sena app for iPhone or Android.  The 20S works with the handlebar remote.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski ST-15F & STX-900
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:00:27 pm »
Sena SMH10b here too.  Pairs to the iPhone, the Tomtom Rider 400 GPS simultaneously and to other riders.
Battery lasted almost 10 hours with music playing, and chatting with another rider.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline RICH59

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: Pending Proc
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 11:19:11 pm »
I've had the Scala Packtalk for two years and they work great.  My four kids and I use them whenever we ride together.  We rode the Dragon in October and the curves didn't interfere with communications.

Offline 66ranger

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12423
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 12:56:17 am »
Thanks for the input, guys.  My riding buddy has a Scala set up, don't know what model, and likes it.  I've been looking at the Scala and the Sena models but was concerned about pairing up between the two models.  Anybody have any input on this issue?  I've got a HJC modular helmet.  Any input is appreciated. 

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 10:55:48 am »
SENA has a Universal pairing option to use when your riding buddy has a different headset brand than you.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline SVonhof

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 05:32:42 pm »
I have had the Sena SMH10 for probably going on 6 years now. Original batteries, but I don't ride every day either.

Have had zero problems with mine, my wife had issues with the music coming back after we talked to each other, but I did firmware updates and that took care of that problem.

That is one of the great things about them as well, the ability to get firmware updates. The Sena is now able to do way more than it used to, since I have updated it.

A friend of mine tried to avoid getting the Sena and went through 3 different brands before finally getting the Sena. I don't know which ones he tried except for the Cycle Gear version, but he had problems with all of them.

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12267
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:02 pm »
I have a pair of Sena 20S's and love them. We had some trouble with pairing them up sometimes early on, but once I did the software upgrade they have worked flawlessly.  Big fan of the built in fm radio, ability to answer phone calls while riding, and ability to talk to my better half (most of the time ;D).  The good news is if someone starts to annoy you, just say, "dang, I am getting the low battery signal."

Offline DarenLine

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 11:50:45 pm »
Sena smh10r, 2 years, no issues. Have bought over 5-6 sets for different helmets, friends... each one worked flawless. I was thinking of getting the 20s but will wait for the new one with built in camera (can't remember the model)

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 11:15:06 am »
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline gilbysan

• Tricycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 04:50:06 pm »
I have been using a SENA 10C and intercom with my sons Scala headset with no issues. I also like the video capability of the 10C

Safe Riding!

gilbysan
gilbysan

β€œIn theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline curt1480

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 11:59:50 am »
I have the Sena SMH-10 and it has worked well.  Took about a 1500 mile trip with a bunch of guys that also had Sena headsets.  Pairing took about 2 minutes to each unit, but the one person that had a Scala Q series could not get his to pair with the rest even after reading the instructions on his phone.  The new Sena and Cardio units have apps to help pair them together and with other devices.  I am torn between which model to buy next.  I like Sena's App that allows you to stay connected to other riders no matter how far away they are.  I also like Cardio's ability to allow you to talk to as many as the 15 other riders without depending on a phones data connection.  Too bad Chatterbox never developed their product well, I think that would have been the most universal way to connect to other riders.

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 05:20:44 pm »
I have the 20S units and like them very well and use them with ear-buds most of the time.
I have the remote control on the handle bar and it's great for changing volume up or down as needed.
You can also pause or go to the next track etc   Most commands can be done without having to reach up to your helmet.
I can bluetooth my XM radio to the 20S too while the phone and remote are connected too.
Have tested them in a straight line and it's about 1 mile of range.
Their new rideapart app allows you to talk over any distance using your phone.  Haven't set that up yet so not sure how it works, yet.

I would buy the 20S again.