Author Topic: Need help finding clutch bleeder  (Read 380 times)

Offline evogt

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Need help finding clutch bleeder
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:58:55 pm »
Hey guys, I'm installing speed bleeders on my 2014 Connie, at least trying to.  When it comes to the clutch bleeder, it appears to be buried under the left side panels.  I'm trying to find out how much of the left side I need to disassemble to get at this dang thing.  Fred's video shows the older style bike without the additional temp control baffling, so no help there....  Any suggestions are much appreciated.  Eric

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Need help finding clutch bleeder
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:17:37 pm »
Well, the slave cylinder is in the same place on all the engines, so if you have Fred's videos, you should be able to ascertain how much more plastic needs removed to see it... kinda a dumb answer on my part, but realistically its a simple task, if taken on methodically, and a lot less technical than other issues that may pop up while doing a bleed job and fluid replacement. Which will likely happen, as history has shown here.
I have an 86, so I can't say just how much has to come off, but the improved lower heat baffle surly is one, don't think there is more to it than that.
Unfortunatly this is sounding like the proverbial "half hour job" that may turn into a multi day nightmare at this point, knowing some of the issues that go along with admitting air into the clutch system on this task.
Be bold, jump in and start taking stuff off, be careful to remove all fasteners before trying to force panels to the breaking point...
Best of luck.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:31:47 pm »
Eric, I took off the lower fairing, which is gray on my bike. I don't think I had to take off the mid fairing (with the heat vents). Pay attention to the placement of the rubber pieces that are contoured to fit around the transmission. Take a photo before you remove it so you can see how it goes back together.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:46:20 am »
Just a tip on the rubber pieces.  Dip them in water when you're putting them back in.  That will help them slip into place.  Don't use anything oily as that will not evaporate and the won't stay put.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11913
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 02:11:13 am »
And you shouldn't have to take off much, it's >almost< accessible with the fairings on (on my 2011, anyway).  You might be able to get it by just taking some of the hardware on the lower fairing.  You might be able to shift the fairing enough to get at it. 

FWIW, when I got my speed bleeders, I installed the brake bleeders right away but I put that clutch bleeder in a drawer until I needed to pull the fairings anyway.  I finally installed it in this last spring when I took the fairings off to change coolant and tighten up header bolts. 

Vinnie

Offline evogt

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:42:50 pm »
Much obliged guys, I really liked the idea of putting that last bleeder in a drawer for a while. I follow this general principle with many other of my life's problems...

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11913
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 07:08:35 pm »
Evo, as it happens, I was at that bleeder yesterday.  (I'm installing Helibar Horizon ST handlebars which requires installing extensions on the clutch and brake cables.)

I was, in fact, able to get to it without removing any fairings.  I had to take all of the screws and plastic rivets out of the bottom fairing, though.  Then I could get to it by pulling the rubber piece that goes between the engine and the lower fairing to the side.  The bleeder is right there.  It might be tough to replace the bleeder without pulling the fairing though.

I already have a speed bleeder on it.  I took a piece of clear tubing and a small cable clamp, and clamped the tubing onto the bleeder's hose barb and ran the hose down to the bottom of the motor with the other drain hoses that are there.  I made sure to position the clamp so I could still get an 8mm wrench on the bleeder.  Now I can just put a plastic yogurt container under the hose, push the rubber to the side a bit, put the wrench on the bleeder and bleed the clutch line with much less drama.   Just a thought for when you eventually do get in there.

Meanwhile, I'd relax and get ready for turkey day.

Vinnie

Offline evogt

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »
Vinnie, that's a great idea.  I'm gonna steal it! Guess I'll head out to the  garage and see if I can duplicate what you did.  Much obliged, Eric

Offline Doc

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12697
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:18:09 pm »
Evo, as it happens, I was at that bleeder yesterday.  (I'm installing Helibar Horizon ST handlebars which requires installing extensions on the clutch and brake cables.)

I was, in fact, able to get to it without removing any fairings.  I had to take all of the screws and plastic rivets out of the bottom fairing, though.  Then I could get to it by pulling the rubber piece that goes between the engine and the lower fairing to the side.  The bleeder is right there.  It might be tough to replace the bleeder without pulling the fairing though.

I already have a speed bleeder on it.  I took a piece of clear tubing and a small cable clamp, and clamped the tubing onto the bleeder's hose barb and ran the hose down to the bottom of the motor with the other drain hoses that are there.  I made sure to position the clamp so I could still get an 8mm wrench on the bleeder.  Now I can just put a plastic yogurt container under the hose, push the rubber to the side a bit, put the wrench on the bleeder and bleed the clutch line with much less drama.   Just a thought for when you eventually do get in there.

Meanwhile, I'd relax and get ready for turkey day.

Vinnie

I did the exact same thing the other day - had to get a speed bleeder on and it was tricky.