Author Topic: Need help, low speed accident, is my bike safe???  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Cracker

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Need help, low speed accident, is my bike safe???
« on: March 24, 2018, 01:50:44 pm »
Hi, new member , my name is Don. I've been riding for 20+ years & have owned a lot of bikes (couple Honda cruisers, 2 Valkyrie, ST1300, FJR1300, Kaw KZ1000P, Triumph 1050 & Explorer)  & now a new owner of a 2014 Concours. Just got it delivered last week, & have put about 300 miles on it so far & it is better then I imagined it would be. Soooo nice & smooth & eats up the terrible roads here in no.
 Anyway, I pulled out of my driveway yesterday to go for a little ride & a pizza delivery guy was driving a few car lengths in front of me. He missed his house so he stopped in the middle of the road, put the car in reverse & proceeded to back up , all without looking behind him.(see video)  So, my big concern is if the integrity of the back is in question & how do I determine if it has been compromised. I don't want to leave this totally up the the ins. Adjuster  Who may just opt to make her pretty again.
Any suggestions?
I did notice that when I turn the handlebars all the way, the clutch & brake res. Hit the windshield. I have a stock Kawasaki shield with  (I think) 2" risers.
I was hoping that someone might have this same setup so we can compare results. That might ease my mind.
Thanks for your help.

PS, a big thank yu to Fred who has spent alot of time helping me login.  :beerchug:

https://youtu.be/NPDyjzCvk84
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:05:11 pm by Cracker, Reason: spelling »
"Never ride faster then your Guardian angel can Fly"

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
Re: Need help, low speed accident, is my bike safe???
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 02:20:00 pm »
I'm guessing you've got some seriously bent forks, radiator, exhaust and fairing damage from the impact, not to mention the damage from letting it fall over afterwards. The insurance adjuster will take the word of the bike shop that does your estimate, they won't try to figure out the damage.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 02:38:25 pm »
Yup, new forks. Don't let them just repair them,(internal bushing damage) replacement is the best option. This would be a great time to order a set of Ohlins instead to the stock forks.

Good thing you have the video!
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 02:52:27 pm »
I did notice that when I turn the handlebars all the way, the clutch & brake res. Hit the windshield.

This is the part that concerns me.  I can't tell for sure from the video, but did the car hit just the front wheel or did it also impact the fairing?  If the fairing, then the fairing may have been pushed back far enough for the bars to hit the windshield.  Otherwise it's more than bent forks.  Since the bars are attached to the top of the triple-tree, it must be bent or (and this is the concern) the frame is bent or broken at the steering head area.  Probably no way to tell for sure until the plastics are stripped off.  My caution would be to avoid any premature settlement until the possibility for any hidden and serious damage is ruled out.  If the frame is bent or cracked, I'm sure the bike is totaled.

Glad you weren't injured!  From the looks of that he'd have backed over anything or anyone behind him! What a moron!
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline ajsfirehawk

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12298
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:48:44 pm »
Glad you weren't injured!  From the looks of that he'd have backed over anything or anyone behind him! What a moron!

Or a child, holy cats.  Very glad you weren't injured.  Keep us posted as to how the insurance battle goes.
Each time I finish a ride, I'm thinking about the next time I'll get to ride.
06 ZG1000
83 KZ1100 LTD
81 KZ440 LTD
79 KZ650 D2

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 04:01:57 pm »
Glad you're ok. Unless the pizza shop is stupid they should buy you a new bike and fire the driver. With your video they are screwed.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 06:22:05 pm »
Glad you are OK, Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the C14.

There is a thread on 2 inch risers and hitting a lowered shield.  http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/windshield-w-2'-blocks/msg631248/#msg631248

Wish I could say your bike is OK. What I would do is take your bike to a Kawasaki dealer and let their people look at it. Some times the shop people see things us mere mortals will miss. The bill should go to the Pizza shop and they should have insurance to cover such things. If it were me I would expect my bike to be in the same condition as it was in before bozo backed into it.

I would suggest too you go to the introductions board and introduce your self there but at this point could be a moot point. And please keep us posted on the results. Best, Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 06:27:48 am »
I'm going to go out on a limb here. Without physically examining the bike, based on the video here's what I think. The triple tree and frame are fine. The impact was not hard enough to damage either one. The forks are wasted, get new ones. The front wheel may be damaged as well, get it replaced. The front fender is probably at least cracked, check the mounting holes. Take a very close look at the header and radiator, if damaged insist on replacement. If the header is damaged check the cylinder head for damage as well, especially at the header studs. Did the windscreen touch before the accident? If not check the long fairing mount that goes between the left and right mirrors.
  If you're even a little mechanically inclined all of this is not very difficult but since the Pizza place is paying it might be better to let a shop handle the labor. I would convince whom ever does the work to get aftermarket forks instead of OEM. The price difference between Ohlins and OEM is relatively small but the performance difference is vast.

Good luck with the repairs.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Online cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:57:45 am »
I have a set of stock forks  if you need them  :motonoises:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Cracker

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 12:50:18 pm »
Thanks for all the great info & suggestions. Hopefully I'll know more after I talk to the ins. Adjuster later this week. Funny thing is,  e erytime I get a bike, the first 2 things I do is add additional driving lights & replace the stock horn. Well, the night before the accident (thursday) I added the driving lights & was planning on installing the horn on the wknd. I really think that if I would of had the horn installed, the driver may have heard that more so then my screaming   :-\ >:( .
Well, I'm a bit anxious of this whole ins. Process, I hope it goes smoothly!  I can't wait to get back on the road.

Thanks again!

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 04:59:55 pm »
And hopefully you have a police report....
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 05:08:20 pm »
I always ride with a camera and always have a dash cam in my car. You never know. Glad you're ok.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14 Traded In
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 04:43:39 am »
Cracker,

Sorry about your loss!  In December, I had a collision like yours except it was my fault.  I impacted the rear bumper of a Suburban going about 5-7 MPH.  I did not fall over but it would not have been much if any worse if I had.  All the plastic from the front of the bike, upper, center and lower fairings on both sides, headlight assembly, fender exploded like it was hit by an RPG.  Little bits of plastic all over the roadway. 

I was worried about the condition of the forks and front wheel and had a brand Roadr4 GT on it.  After some discussion with the body shop we decided that to be safe we would total out the bike.  The way it worked out is that to replace all the plastic, AND the forks which were suspect, ran over their number for repair as an option.  Although I was very unhappy with the manner in which Allstate does their adjustments and has no real customer service; in the end I got my check and went out and got a new bike. 

On my collision, the upper right vent on the top of my Shoei RF1200 hit the windscreen which made a scratch on the inside of it and it in turn touched the back window of the suburban so there was absolutely some flexing going on in the hit.  By the way those Cee Bailey screens are the best! 

Don't forget to make sure that IF your helmet is the least bit damaged you will need to replace it.  My policy covered it and my Sena 10C under my homeowners policy so I was able to get reimbursed for those as well.

Good luck with your repair/replacement!

Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Online cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 01:11:23 am »
Don't think a new horn would save you , I bet the pizza person had the radio on 10

You need a Gamma ray laser gun to instantly vaporize the threat. :violent-smiley-007:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Cracker

• Big Wheels
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 04:14:56 pm »
Cuda, looks like the forks are in question.
& my bike is very close to getting totaled. I have a feeling if I claim the bad forks, that will be enough to make my bike a total loss. So I'm considering replacing them on my own. What would you charge me for your forks & can you give me some background/history?

Thanks

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 08:56:08 pm »
Cuda, looks like the forks are in question.
& my bike is very close to getting totaled. I have a feeling if I claim the bad forks, that will be enough to make my bike a total loss. So I'm considering replacing them on my own. What would you charge me for your forks & can you give me some background/history?

Thanks

Keep in mind that the bike is YOURS, even if totaled, until you sign the papers.  The time to make a deal with the insurance company is BEFORE you sign any settlement.  If you want to try to fix the bike, and you think it can be done for less than the settlement, then by all means do it.  Remember that the insurance company does not really want to own a wrecked motorcycle and usually they just send them off to salvage/breaker outfits.  When you sign the settlement for a totaled bike, you are giving them title in exchange for the $$$.  But you can also reach an agreement to "buy it back from them" for some price.  The downside, of course, is that in most states you'll end up with a "salvage title" and that will usually remain on the title from then on.  Not a big deal if you plan on riding for the long term but it does impact the bike's resale value.

My advice, however, is to not agree to anything until you're satisfied with all the terms and conditions.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline old n slow

• Moped
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 01:00:36 pm »
I say if the insurance wants to total it, and they give you book retail, I would take that money for the tidy profit, then be patient and find another Connie being sold at a realistic market value price and be money ahead! You now know that the deals are out there if you search ! :beerchug:
Mike D.   

old n slow...it's my way of life☺

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
I did that once. I totaled a bike, bought it back and sold it to my nephew. He put it back together with parts off of ebay and I bought a new bike.

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 03:28:58 am »
Sorry about your loss here
I would take the bike to the dealer, and have them do a complete once over the bike, The adjuster is sure to miss things, a Good mechanic will check everything.
And all the damage will be found.
And after that, take it home and do the repairs yourself, if you are able to.
You will save some good Farkle $$$$  >:D
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me