Author Topic: need help w/ Evitek's LEDS proper alignment  (Read 470 times)

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
need help w/ Evitek's LEDS proper alignment
« on: October 03, 2017, 01:59:23 pm »
Alright guys, I know it may sound as if this horse has been beaten to death already  :deadhorse: , but I wasn't able to find the answer to this question on other posts about LEDs, and even though I did ask it, nobody responded.

I installed the EVITEKs last friday, and when testing them at night, the pattern is just off. Obviously they are incredibly bright in comparison, but I'm not seeing the nice cut-off pattern everyone is talking about, and what's worse, when you turn on the high beams, it seems as if the light loses its focus and disappears.

The low beams produce a patch of light on the ground, about 8 feet away from the bike, and the patch moves depending on the height adjustment (the oem knobs).

This is how I installed them (see pictures); I tried playing with the height, but it didn't help. What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:02:26 pm by Jerdurr »
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: need help w/ Evitek's LEDS proper alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 02:15:11 pm »
I too am wondering what is up.  I have the Eviteks on the left and ADVmonster on the right.  The ADVmonster led's are at 12 and 6 oclock
While the Evitek are at 3 and 9 but they have those covers over the lights.  I did turn the Eviteks to where they are at 12 & 6 but it looks funky and they keep falling out of the socket.  When behind a car while stopped, the ADVmonster looks a lot brighter than the Evitek, not sure if it is the orientation of the Evitek or what.

I think if I keep my C14 I will get another ADVmonster and be done with it, as long as I don't screw up another ADVmonster light.  One of my Eviteks didn't work, thus the reason for two different lights.

I know Reid Yeargin has them as in your picture one, and when in front of him, his lights look like small sun balls behind me   ;D
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 C14 (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:35:20 pm »
I too am wondering what is up.  I have the Eviteks on the left and ADVmonster on the right.  The ADVmonster led's are at 12 and 6 oclock
While the Evitek are at 3 and 9 but they have those covers over the lights.  I did turn the Eviteks to where they are at 12 & 6 but it looks funky and they keep falling out of the socket.  When behind a car while stopped, the ADVmonster looks a lot brighter than the Evitek, not sure if it is the orientation of the Evitek or what.

I think if I keep my C14 I will get another ADVmonster and be done with it, as long as I don't screw up another ADVmonster light.  One of my Eviteks didn't work, thus the reason for two different lights.

I know Reid Yeargin has them as in your picture one, and when in front of him, his lights look like small sun balls behind me   ;D

Thanks Jerry for your input. After all the hassle of swapping the lights, i'm not happy at all with the result. I wonder if any of the other guys that installed them and had good results can give me some pointers!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Speedie

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 10:46:44 pm »
I'm too old to feel the sting of ridicule any more, so more experienced members can flame away if I'm wrong but...aren't those upside down? I think the shields should be under the bulbs so that light isn't scattered around off the lower part of the reflector. The way that you have the shields oriented, the light is hitting the bottom of the reflector and being reflected upwards.

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 11:06:49 pm »
I'm too old to feel the sting of ridicule any more, so more experienced members can flame away if I'm wrong but...aren't those upside down? I think the shields should be under the bulbs so that light isn't scattered around off the lower part of the reflector. The way that you have the shields oriented, the light is hitting the bottom of the reflector and being reflected upwards.

Aha! Maybe that's it!? I'll go outside and test it right now... be right back! I'll try to take a picture also
Best,

JD

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 12:20:29 am »
The H4 base only inserts and settles one way, but if one has not aligned the 3 tabs correctly then this could be the issue. It  is possible that you have placed the base incorrectly in the housing thinking you have it correctly aligned.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:22:50 am »
The H4 base only inserts and settles one way, but if one has not aligned the 3 tabs correctly then this could be the issue. It  is possible that you have placed the base incorrectly in the housing thinking you have it correctly aligned.

I went to the garage and turn them 180 degrees now the metal flap is below the chip instead of over, and the light pattern is much better. Could that be it?
Best,

JD

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 12:23:11 am »
Yup they are upside down
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 12:23:58 am »

I went to the garage and turn them 180 degrees now the metal flap is below the chip instead of over, and the light pattern is much better. Could that be it?

YES!!!
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 12:26:22 am »
with the base installed the correct way, you insert the LEDS and twist CW till they stop (tabs on the base of the LED) in the housing. I had to push my LED's a bit to get them to seat and stop and align correctly
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 01:12:50 am »
with the base installed the correct way, you insert the LEDS and twist CW till they stop (tabs on the base of the LED) in the housing. I had to push my LED's a bit to get them to seat and stop and align correctly
Ok, awesome, so now with the metal flap below the LED, i should be ok right? The interesting thing is that when I press the high beam, the pattern gets thinner and longer, is that right?
Best,

JD

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 02:44:19 pm »
^^^^^

thinner and longer, yes. I slabbed 186 miles in the dark early morning to get to a cutoff road and was using the high beams a lot. They throw a very decent pattern and the only neg is they are so bright that the refection off freeway signs is a lot. I was travelling through over 100 miles of construction at the time and they have caution signs littering the sides of the roads.

PS: I hate the slab.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 11:19:04 pm »
I did turn the Eviteks to where they are at 12 & 6 but it looks funky and they keep falling out of the socket.

If the tits on the bulbs are not in the detents they will fall out.  Be careful not to over torque.  They are not exactly at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Fred
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:34:48 am by Fred_Wa2gzw »

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 12:15:01 am »
I needed new bulbs anyway so I thought I would try these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I9K30YK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They look good in the garagio but have not been on a ride yet. Install pretty straight forward. My problem, Cannot get the large rubber boots on to cover them, Some light leaks back and obviously open to rain penetration so will see. On your LED installs same problem? The rear of the assembly that houses the fan just cannot be overcome so far. Ran silverstar previous but not long bulb life and expensive.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 10:06:09 pm »
I installed the Evitek's several months ago. The rubber boot fit back on just like stock and the lights are still working fine.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 02:37:56 am »
I installed the Evitek's several months ago. The rubber boot fit back on just like stock and the lights are still working fine.
I can attest to your headlight shine  ;) The ones I got from Amazon are a 3 sided triangular LED bar. Figured out the rubber boots Friday Night. Adaptor goes in first then spring clamp latch. Trimmed the boot down to the first ring on the seal, installed on bulbs and then installed bulbs with the 2 tabs and rotate to lock. Rode 600 miles today and they worked great. Great white light, side light and high beams. Longevity is still a question but pretty happy so far. For 16 bucks each.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen