Author Topic: Need Help with Error Codes A1 and B1 how to reset?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Need Help with Error Codes A1 and B1 how to reset?
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:58:52 pm »
hate to admit it, but in my haste on a dead battery,  replaced with new one, but installed in reverse polarity just long enough to blow main 30A fuse.   While connecting the (what I thought was) ground (last connection) to the frame, the ABS unit made a buzz noise, so I immediately pulled the bolt away from frame hole (ground) and discovered the reverse polarity problem and that I'm an idiot for the thousandth time.
Sure enough, bike would not start....main fuse blown.   Replaced with new fuse and battery installed correctly (duh), the bike started right up and ran like a champ.   However, the error light is on and reads that ABS and KACT are problems.   Doing the hold both buttons down...shows error codes A1 and B1.    Bike runs without computer (Kact) intervention and brakes work normally.   I did not try to activate ABS while braking.   I checked the ABS and Kact fuses and both are OK.

Looked through the service manual, but can't find how to deal with these codes?   I think my service manual (pdf) is for the older 08/09 models and mine is an 2013 since it didn't even have a KACT section and getting the ABS codes read and cleared were not straight forward (for me).

While I've ridden most of my 30 years of motorcycles without ABS or traction control, would prefer the have the safety factor if I can resolve.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Need Help with Error Codes A1 and B1 how to reset?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:21:15 am »
I did a search for you. While it’s related to a cruise control issue it has the info you are looking for concerning the error codes in reply #10. HTH.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21099.0
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 06:15:27 pm »
thanks Man....after reading that thread....looks like I'm stuck with the error message being displayed for now.   Looked like the stealership was just throwing new parts at it and very expensive ones at that.  Never did hear if there was any solid conclusion on that case.   Possible I fried something during the reverse polarity.   Lots of warnings in the manual for that.    Seems one could clear the codes somehow and if the problem remains, the codes will reappear.  Can't find how to clear the codes?

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 06:35:38 pm »
You might want to go this easy route first. There are a couple fuses in fuse box #2 for the ABS system that you should check. In fact, since you had a reverse polarity, I would check every fuse on the bike to be safe. You way want to also disconnect the main ground wire and let the system reset. If those easy steps don’t work, then move on to more advanced troubleshooting. Your FSM should tell you how to reset a fault code.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:17:53 pm »
Good suggestions.   In fact, I did check the ABS and ktrac fuses and both were OK.   I will also try the re-establishing the main ground, but have doubts on that.   I'm all for looking for the easy stuff first...which is why I'm hoping the BRIEF reverse polarity caused the malfunction in communication (and resulting error codes), prior to the main fuse being blown, but that no device damage did result (hope, hope).
As far as resetting the codes, my FSM must be for an older model, as it asks me to ground a gray wire under the seat (for self diagnostic mode on the ABS unit) that is simply not there on my bike.   Further, it doesn't even mention these 2 specific codes....all the ones they mention have numbers only and rely on flashes of the ABS light on the panel.   Not straightforward to follow in my FSM.

So Im searching for a newer FSM version....but till then, hoping the vast wisdom here could help.

greatly appreciate the suggestions.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 12:03:13 pm »
Check your messages please.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:45:56 pm »
In my best "Jeeves" voice:
You have mail sir. :))

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 12:51:40 am »
Mucho Gracias Amigo :great:

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 10:53:40 am »
If this was resolved, can you share what you found for the collective good of COGdom?   ::)

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:20:59 am »
Not solved at all....just a friendly member trying to help offline.

I'm so used to working on cars where you can actually read the codes, reset them and use them in diagnosing.

On this machine, they (current FSM) are asking me to count pulses of a blinking light after asking you to do things without explaining why.   Seems like big Kaw is still having us practicing morse code and using 1950's programing standards.

My pennance, I guess.

I will certainly pass along the outcome/learnings if they reach me.   Thanks for the note...totally agree.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 11:23:02 am »
Nothing was solved.  Thought I had a pdf of a service manual for his bike.  My copy was for the 08-09.

Offline Freddy

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 11:08:37 pm »
Not solved at all....just a friendly member trying to help offline.

I'm so used to working on cars where you can actually read the codes, reset them and use them in diagnosing.

On this machine, they (current FSM) are asking me to count pulses of a blinking light after asking you to do things without explaining why.   Seems like big Kaw is still having us practicing morse code and using 1950's programing standards.

My pennance, I guess.

I will certainly pass along the outcome/learnings if they reach me.   Thanks for the note...totally agree.

I remember that.  That's when flashing indicators became common, to alert other road users of a driver's intention to turn left or right.   :D

Seriously tho, seriously interested in what you discover.
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 11:32:39 pm »
There are lots of folks here willing to help you. Keep plugging away and provide good info and questions and someone here will eventually have the solution.

Offline Freddy

• Scooter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 11:29:11 am »

Any progress?  Page 17-84 of the manual I have gives a detailed procedure for diagnosis, which isn't real simple but it's all there.  It's shocking (pardon the pun) that the consequential faults from the reversal didn't seem to be protected by the main fuse.  That shouldn't happen, to start the bleeding obvious.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:37:49 am by Freddy »

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »
Sorry but my 09 has neither Ktrac or ABS. I have 0% knowledge here.  Good luck, keep plugging and someone will help figure this out.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 07:01:54 pm »
There have been about 5 or 6 people here, and on other forum, that inadvertantly did the same switched battery poles thing, all of them, luckily, as you did, realized when they saw a spark, sumpin wasn't right, and reversed the connections to correct.
The system is very robust, and I don't think anyone suffered any "destruction" as a result of the polarity, but all of them did find the main fuse protected the system as it should have, and after replacing it, had no issue..
Can't recall if any were post '13 models, but I'm sure some were..
The 1A, 1B, and even the 2C codes will still allow the bike to operate, but those KACT and ABS functions will be stopped, try this and report back....
With the ground disconnected, disconnect both the ECU and ABS ECU on that module, from their respective plug ins.
Inspect them all, looking for any signs of a melted or arced wire on those plugs,  then re connect them to their mating plugs, firmly, and reconnect the ground wire.
Actuate the stove knob as normal, and turn the bike to ON, do not start the bike... wait 5 seconds, and turn it back off...
Then, remove the ground cable connection at the frame, and leave it off for a minute or so, and reconnect it.
Then procede to trun the bike to ON, and start the bike as normal, let it run for a a few minutes, and shut down and re start.

Let us know if that error removes itself. The error codes are stored in their respective ECU's, but once re established and the ECU's see "correct function" has been restored, it should stop the error codes from being present.

If error codes are still presently displayed, iirc they can be manually cleared by using the 2 wires found in the rear area, near the Main ECU, to invoke, and diplay codes, (dont assume any loose wires found there are the correct wires and start connecting them until we can tell you exactly which 2 wires... please) , and by a sequence of turning the ON switch to off, and sequencing, they can be cleared... I have to dig up my '13 & up FSM to give that clarity, but its in there under diagnostics, I know I read it...
Worst case scenariou is hooking the bike up to a KDS, and manually clearing the codes, using the adaptors that the KDS has to interface with the ABS system, that is only like a 10 minute job, but should show everything.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:06:36 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Freddy

• Scooter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 10:35:28 pm »
MOB, I don't think the series 2 bike of which Oldguy speaks has the series 1 diagnostic/clear wires of which you speak.  Checking..........

No, not there on series 2, which has the more complex system.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:08:06 pm by Freddy »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »
MOB, I don't think the series 2 bike of which Oldguy speaks has the series 1 diagnostic/clear wires of which you speak.  Checking..........

No, not there on series 2, which has the more complex system.

Hitting my laptop to look at series 2 schema, I can't think it was totally done away with, but maybe so... I'll get back when I know...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 01:02:34 am »
my version of the service manual is for 1st gens.   Talks about the wires under the seat for ABS problems.  My service manual does not even mention ktrac.   My bike (2013) does not have the 2 wires near the fuel ECU under the seat to connect for diagnostic mode on the ABS unit.   Why I was stumped....thought clearing a code would be simple enough.

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 11:13:42 pm »
tried to pull each of the ABS fuses and then both while the key was on but bike not started....no luck.   Also tried to disconnect the main ECU while the bike was off....no luck.   No evidence of arcing or high current (burnt wires) on the ECU plug and wires.   Hesitant to tear the bike apart to try MOB suggestions without knowing they will work for sure.    Hard to believe there is no simple way to clear a damn code.   Honestly, I wouldn't mind going without ABS or traction control, since I did for all my motorcycles of the past 30 yrs....but the damn light and dash flashing the message is really irritating and blocks other useful information from being displayed while riding.

Frustrated >:(

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 03:42:54 am »
Maybe the codes won't reset because there is a continuous  fault.??? Your reset works but the code is constantly regenerated, as designed.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 05:34:48 pm »
seems like a reasonable possibility...something that can be confirmed if you know what the code clear procedure actually is....if there is one?   If I can learn the code clear and the codes remain after doing it, then I would know I need to dig deeper.    ABS and Ktrac are completely different systems/functions, so would be nice to know...before major surgery commitments.

If nothing else, can I just disable those safety functions (ABS and traction control) and have the warning light and code flashing go away on the dash?   Why I tried to remove the fuses for those systems.

still a head scratcher.....

Offline Freddy

• Scooter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 06:57:10 pm »
Maybe the codes won't reset because there is a continuous  fault.??? Your reset works but the code is constantly regenerated, as designed.

........ because that fault(s) remain we suspect. If the fault warning wasn't extinguished by removing the fuses, I further suspect there is only one way to proceed.  ABS & K-ACT are not completely different systems - they both function via the ABS speed sensors.