Author Topic: need some wiring help on my top box  (Read 225 times)

Offline Virtualnorm

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
need some wiring help on my top box
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:18:02 pm »
OK smart guys I could use some help.  I picked up a top box that has brake/running lights and am having some difficulties with the wiring.  I checked the manual and it says that under the seat I should see a cover in the back and under it there is an accessory line available to use.  I could not find it.  I am adding a pic of what I see, which is 2 leads and neither have power.  Any recommendations?  I do have a solution for the brake light, there was a 3rd attached to the back of the bike so it is an easy splice but the running light I can not find a lead for.

thanks in advance!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
Re: need some wiring help on my top box
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:24:15 pm »
The leads in your picture are the accessory leads but they only have power when the bike is ON.  Did you check them with the bike on or off?
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Virtualnorm

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »
The leads in your picture are the accessory leads but they only have power when the bike is ON.  Did you check them with the bike on or off?

I was under that impression as well.  I used my continuity tester and there was no power.  I confirmed the ground on the tester was working by tapping the fuses and it did light up. 

I checked all the fuses and they are good.
I tried with the bike on and I tried with the bike running.

Now that I think about it though, I only checked 1 size of the fuse, not both :)  I will confirm I do not have a fuse out tonight..

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 04:49:41 pm »
Best way to do this is to get the matching Hitachi 3-pin connectors (available on Electrical Connection's site, and others) then build a wye arrangement which connects between the taillight and main wiring harness and makes running and brake light voltages plus ground available. Then locate an IP67-grade 3-pin plug/socket arrangement and use it to get power into the trunk's lighting circuits. (This assumes your trunk doesn't already have a quick-disconnect pigtail with the necessary wires already installed.)

http://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product-category/shop-gear/shop-gear-connectors-oem/

Offline Virtualnorm

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 05:08:45 pm »
Best way to do this is to get the matching Hitachi 3-pin connectors (available on Electrical Connection's site, and others) then build a wye arrangement which connects between the taillight and main wiring harness and makes running and brake light voltages plus ground available. Then locate an IP67-grade 3-pin plug/socket arrangement and use it to get power into the trunk's lighting circuits. (This assumes your trunk doesn't already have a quick-disconnect pigtail with the necessary wires already installed.)

http://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product-category/shop-gear/shop-gear-connectors-oem/

It has a quick disconnect that came with the trunk, it is just a situation of me trying to find a hot lead to use.  the 2 under the seat that should be are not.  which has me a bit confused..

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9318
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 08:01:55 pm »
I believe those are the ABS self diagnostic terminals. The rear accessory leads are farther back in the tail.

Offline Virtualnorm

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:22:20 am »
I removed the tool tray, then all that wiring and there it was.  talk about a hidden lead!  thanks for the help folks.  much appreciated.