Author Topic: New C14 break-in  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Downhill

• Mini Bike
  • He who dies with the most toys.....wins
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10106
  • Membership Level: Active
New C14 break-in
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:50:57 pm »
Ok, so it's been a little cold and wet here in upstate NY but I've managed to baby the 1st 400 miles to date.  The manual says not to exceed 4000 rpm in the 1st 500 miles and not to exceed 6000 rpm in the next 500 miles.  Tonight for the 1st time, I shifted out at 4000 rpm in every gear through 6th. I look down and Holy ...t I'm at 85 mph.  :-\ So the bike makes max torque and hp at 7000 rpm.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to take it to track day just to complete the break-in.  I know, I know...I don't have to keep it at those rpm's long to break it in...but sure was fun.

:)) Can't wait to try 6000 and 7000 rpm's.
Downhill Dave
2011 C14 ABS (atomic silver) fastest color
2008 Spyder (yellow/black) premier #2723

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
Re: New C14 break-in
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:37 pm »
   Just too much fun!!! :)  Careful,I hear performance awards are expensive in NY. :o :o
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Don557

• Road Bike
  • Silver Streak
  • COG#: 10835
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:13 am »
This will probably be a subject of heated debate, but IMO break-in is largely a myth.  With the quality and manufacturing tolerances in today's bikes, they don't really require much break-in.  I'd say change your oil and filter, run 'er however you please, and forget about watching the tach.  Drop the hammer and enjoy.
Go to the Cal Sci website.  Mark has a nice write-up on break-in, with the solid reasoning behind it.  Basically just what I've been doing for years. 
They'll be cries of shortening longevity, etc, but I've owned and seen many bikes that have been broken-in with this method, and they made as much power at 25K or even 50K miles as they did at 1K. (All properly maintained ,etc).  Unless you're a total knucklehead, you almost can't hurt these things.

Offline ProfessorKonk

• Street Cruiser
  • Best. Bike. Ever.
    • Hilson Creative LLC
  • COG#: 9466
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:01 am »
To throw more fuel and speculation on the fire, I offer this link: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yup, controversial. I am not an engineer nor do I play one on TV. I do have a lot of tools, many of which I know how to use correctly. Empirically (or spiritually) I think MotoMan may be on to something with his recommendations.

+1 to Don's link too.

I'll be wearing my Nomex suit for a while. . .
So many farkles, so little time.

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9934
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:27:57 am »
Unless you're a total knucklehead, you almost can't hurt these things.

I suspect the break-in period is there for the same reason we get all of those Lawyer Labels on the things these days - the percentage of total knuckleheads seems to be higher.  One of the most amazing consumer warnings I ever saw came from the owner's manual of a friend's Wing:

Do not attempt to inspect or adjust the air pressure of the tires while the vehicle is in motion!

I really can't help but wonder just how many people actually tried this in order for it to become a big enough issue to include in the owner's manual.  They certainly wouldn't have changed the manual for just one idiot - there had to have been a rash of these at some point.  Think about that...

Speaking of knuckleheads, I was sitting at a light about to head home from the Daytona madness one year.  Behind me were a group of 10-15 sportbikers, and they were all revving their engines at the light - you know the type.  One of them actually blew his engine up sitting there at the light.  It whizzed really high and suddenly made clunking noises before going very very quiet as everyone seemed to come to their senses. 

Mama Kaw is trying to let you know that the machine, capable as she certainly is, does actually have limits.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:43:55 am »
I'd highly advise that you follow the manuals recommended break in procedure. There are more parts to an engine than just the piston rings. Every single bearing surface and gear in both the engine and transmission are breaking in, and using the wrong technique or too high of an RPM can cause hot spots on various bearing surfaces. Every gear tooth face and all the crankshaft, camshaft, and rod bearings are all wearing in and need time for the surfaces to bed in. Same thing applies to the brakes. A few short rides (10-20 miles) with long cool down periods inbetween (4 hours) early on will also help heat cycle the engine and can help relieve any stresses built up in components. Commuting back and forth to work on a new bike for a week is a great way to do this, and if you take the bike out to lunch during the day, you can get three heat cycles on it in one day.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:53:14 am by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline 46Alpha

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:17:59 am »
I won't get into the whole argument of "is break in needed?" I've read a few posts where there were some heated words exchanged over the topic. Seems some people feel very strongly about it. I've even seem some suggest that the break in was for the rider to adjust to the bike  ::) Like it's some wild 1000cc MotoGP machine that will break the rear loose every time you go WOT  :rotflmao:

As a new owner myself, I did it. Followed the manual with precision (and hated every minute of it). I did what Fred said and commuted to work for a few weeks. It goes quick and now I'm over a 1K and I can be a bit more generous with the throttle. It might not be fun, but it's a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

YMMV and all that jazz. It's your bike. Ride it safely and be happy.

FYI, where in Upstate NY are you? I've got inlaws and friends in Utica, Syracuse and Rome. I ride out there all the time.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:37:23 am »
I think the break in period is really for the rider and not the bike.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Don557

• Road Bike
  • Silver Streak
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:51:54 am »
Don't get me wrong here.  I'm not suggesting starting up new bikes and hammering on them from Day 1.  As Fred says, get some heat cycles in there, for sure.  But the key, as noted in the articles sited herein, is to stress the engine a bit, not just float around at 10% throttle for 1500 miles.  The example of the Daytona squid fragging his engine is a perfect example of what NOT to do.  That's probably the one thing that can kill these bikes:  high rpm & no load.  Alternatively, redline while pulling 150 mph?  No worries.  (BTW, you didn't happen to get video on that, did you ChipDoc?)
I don't think there will ever be total agreement on this issue, but there's plenty of empirical evidence for a quick and hard break-in.  I have yet to see any credible evidence that this is bad.  The myth is based on, as mentioned, Mama Kawi, Honda, whoever, getting the lawyers to protect the corporation from the 1% that are so incredibly idiotic that they shouldn't be allowed to buy and ride the product.  Since Kawi can't decide who they can or can't sell the latest hardware to, this is their only option of protecting themselves.

Offline Scott Bechler

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9693
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18:53 pm »
When a race engine is put on an engine dyno, whether it be NASCAR, NHRA, F1 or what ever, it's not immediately put at full load. It has a set procedure it is put through. And these engines have a much finer cylinder finish than a production engine therefore not requiring as long a break-in time.

just a thought

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • COG#: 10039
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:40 pm »

It's not just the engine itself, but the rest of the systems...at 2000 miles, the brakes feel better for example...transmission is happier...the bike doesn't feel as "tight" now...maybe I'm more broken in, too...
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline joe in calif

• Road Bike
  • If you are born once you will die twice,
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:51 pm »
I agree with a break-in period. I have done it with all my vehicles, cars, bikes and SUV. I have never had a failure of any kind related to any part of the drive train. It might be old school but it works. How many of you change your oil at 3000? That's old school also. The book calls for 7500 miles.
If you are born once you will die twice.
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »
I agree with a break-in period. I have done it with all my vehicles, cars, bikes and SUV. I have never had a failure of any kind related to any part of the drive train. It might be old school but it works. How many of you change your oil at 3000? That's old school also. The book calls for 7500 miles.

The first oil change is supposed to be done at 600 miles. There is also a note in the service manual concerning oil changes that says:

"Service more frequently when operating in severe conditions: dusty, wet, muddy, high speed, or frequent starting/stopping"

The 7,500 mile number is under absolute ideal circumstances. Also, due to several reports of fuel dilution occurring on this bike, I think you'd be wise to change it more often.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 01:16:43 pm »
I don't know who's right, the manual or the ride-it-like-you-stole-it gang.

I broke my ZX14 in 100% according to the manual. Which was very hard to do, especially the first 600 miles, because she just wanted to go go go. Never a problem with that bike, and the guy who purchased her is quite happy.

I broke my ZX11 in about 60% according to the manual. I got impatient and started exceeding 4,000 rpm quite often. Never a problem with that bike.

I think back in the day I broke my Z1R in by drag racing it on weekends. That bike ran like greased lightning.

But those posters, above, talking about modern tolerances etc. are correct. Before a lot of bikes get to dealers, they are run hard for a short time at the factory.

So I guess with my 2012 C14, I'll just run it up and down through the gears and keep it generally below 4,000 until I get the initial service done right before going to Deals Gap on May 17th.... I have an appointment for May 14th.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Downhill

• Mini Bike
  • He who dies with the most toys.....wins
  • COG#: 10106
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 10:43:15 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I'm in the Fred H camp on break-in, always have been.  I always follow the oem's suggestions when it comes to any toy.  I have a 2005 ski-doo w/ 600 sdi and it starts on the first pull every time and pulls triple digits down kevlar lake after 7 years of enjoyment.  I'm sure when we are done with break-in we will be very happy we took the time to do it right. 

46alpha...I'm half way between Syracuse and Rochester in Waterloo.  If you decide to come out this way, send me a note and we'll show you the finger lakes. 

Anyone in the area going to the Newburgh meet & greet on May 12th?  If I can get my 600mi service done before then I plan to run down.
Downhill Dave
2011 C14 ABS (atomic silver) fastest color
2008 Spyder (yellow/black) premier #2723

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 07:31:29 am »
Thanks everyone.  I'm in the Fred H camp on break-in, always have been.  I always follow the oem's suggestions when it comes to any toy.  I have a 2005 ski-doo w/ 600 sdi and it starts on the first pull every time and pulls triple digits down kevlar lake after 7 years of enjoyment.  I'm sure when we are done with break-in we will be very happy we took the time to do it right. 

46alpha...I'm half way between Syracuse and Rochester in Waterloo.  If you decide to come out this way, send me a note and we'll show you the finger lakes. 

Anyone in the area going to the Newburgh meet & greet on May 12th?  If I can get my 600mi service done before then I plan to run down.

I do question the break in procedures. Like many bikes I have had. I took the time on the C14 and followed the break in restrictions. Of course this means that I had very restrictive fun for the first 1,000 miles. But the Yamaha had no break in. So it was fun right off the bat. If anything, I think they both runs fine with no motor issues of any kind. So I do wonder.   But would probably do what they suggest.

Anyway, I'll be at the Newburgh Meet & Greet.

Offline wayne_jenkins_CT

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 8966
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 09:42:33 am »
OK, don't put air in tires at speeds over 50mph.Wayne's way to break in anything is to watch the temp gauge, do not over heat. Scrub in the new tires, take the slick off. Use the brakes easy, yes they have to seat in.Do a very good walk around inspection, yes every one does not check what they should at the dealer and things get loose. Do this a few times. Do not drive a steady speed, If on the road slow down and run it through the gears, all the moving parts should be allowed to seat in. Change the oil at 500 miles and the filter and the rear gears too. At this time your bike  will be broken in. AS with most things a little common sense goes a long way.

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • COG#: 10039
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 02:07:59 pm »

It's not just the engine itself, but the rest of the systems...at 2000 miles, the brakes feel better for example...transmission is happier...the bike doesn't feel as "tight" now...maybe I'm more broken in, too...

What I forgot to say was that I rode it "normally" from the minute I left the dealer.  Normally means not winding it out, but also not saying "uh oh - 4000 rpms, shift!" either.  Don't drop the clutch, try wheelies, etc, but ride it normally and in traffic so your shifting frequently. The first 20 miles is the most important.
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 02:48:54 pm »
My break in procedures are as follows:

1) Fill with gas/oil etc
2) Ride

I do take it easy for the first 1k miles, and by "take it easy" I mean I don't wind out the engine needlessly or do hard braking needlessly, I also avoid staying at a high RPM for periods of time,  other then that just ride it normally

You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 03:46:04 pm »
I am pretty much like Mad, I guess.

My mc is riding to Quantico to tour the Marine Corps Museum on the 5th of May. We are slabbing it so we have time to actually tour the museum rather than back roads.  So I guess I have to ride on the end as sweep and just speed up and slow down, get behind and catch up, and shift up and down as much as possible, since I only have a mere 120 miles on her.

Going to Flying J for the NE (MD/VA/WV/PA) meet and greet on Sunday the 6th, so at least I can do that and not hold anyone up.

Then on the 12th (Sat) is the meeting and greet at the Crabby Pig, and the short ride after, where I can vary the speed and gears easily (mountain roads).

Then on the 14th I'm having the initial service done before we leave for Deals Gap on the 17th.

So by the 14th so far I'll only have 450 miles on her. Guess I better ride some this coming weekend.    :motonoises:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

breaker19

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 05:48:15 pm »
   Just too much fun!!! :)  Careful,I hear performance awards are expensive in NY. :o :o

That's a good one, "Performance Awards!"  :))

breaker19

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 05:59:49 pm »
I am pretty much like Mad, I guess.

My mc is riding to Quantico to tour the Marine Corps Museum on the 5th of May. We are slabbing it so we have time to actually tour the museum rather than back roads.  So I guess I have to ride on the end as sweep and just speed up and slow down, get behind and catch up, and shift up and down as much as possible, since I only have a mere 120 miles on her.

Going to Flying J for the NE (MD/VA/WV/PA) meet and greet on Sunday the 6th, so at least I can do that and not hold anyone up.

Then on the 12th (Sat) is the meeting and greet at the Crabby Pig, and the short ride after, where I can vary the speed and gears easily (mountain roads).

Then on the 14th I'm having the initial service done before we leave for Deals Gap on the 17th.

So by the 14th so far I'll only have 450 miles on her. Guess I better ride some this coming weekend.    :motonoises:

I'm heading to DG this July, when you get back, kindly post any information like problem areas, road issues, etc... please.. that would be most helpful!

On the break-in thingy, you whack it up a few times to the 4-6K range, keeping closer to 4 until > 500 miles, that's what I did. I'm a bit over 1K now, bike runs fine. It only smokes when I'm in the vicinity with a good Cusano cigar... lol

Offline BamaCOGer

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9317
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 12:09:41 am »
I'd highly advise that you follow the manuals recommended break in procedure. There are more parts to an engine than just the piston rings. Every single bearing surface and gear in both the engine and transmission are breaking in, and using the wrong technique or too high of an RPM can cause hot spots on various bearing surfaces. Every gear tooth face and all the crankshaft, camshaft, and rod bearings are all wearing in and need time for the surfaces to bed in. Same thing applies to the brakes. A few short rides (10-20 miles) with long cool down periods inbetween (4 hours) early on will also help heat cycle the engine and can help relieve any stresses built up in components. Commuting back and forth to work on a new bike for a week is a great way to do this, and if you take the bike out to lunch during the day, you can get three heat cycles on it in one day.

+1 on Fred H's comments.  I just recently got past the 1k mark in my new black C14.  Love it so far.
2011 Kawasaki Concours Black - Current
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer Black - Current   

Previous Bikes: 2004 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, 2000 Kawasaki Concours, 1980 Kawasaki Z750, 1972 Suzuki 750 (aka Water Buffalo), 1971 Suzuki 250, 1966 Bridgestone 175

Offline Don557

• Road Bike
  • Silver Streak
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 04:02:03 pm »
I guess everyone can decide for themselves on this one.  All I'm sayin' is that there's solid evidence for doing a "stressed" break-in, and no evidence to suggests it does any damage.  Fred is "the man", but I havbe to go counter to his opinion on this one - things other than the piston rings (gears,etc) I suspect don't really need a break-in.  It's Japanese machining, bathed in modern oil.  These are parts which probably don't exhibit measuable wear after thousands of miles, so how could going easy for the first 600 matter?
As for brakes:  this is off on a tangent, but since it was mentioned above -  bedding in new pads gently is absolutely not the way to go.  The best way is to find an open stretch of road or a large parking lot.  Run up to 40-50 mph, and give the brakes a firm pull, slowing to maybe walking speed.  Turn around, run back to starting point, which allows cool-down time for the pads / discs, and repeat.  Brake progressively harder with each run, but be sure to allow ample cool-down.  The object is to bed-in the pads, mating them to the discs without over-heating and glazing them. Just riding normally on the street won't do as good a job.  Tried and true method.

Offline XLR8

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 05:12:57 pm »
It's very difficult to follow the break-in procedure with an engine this powerful so I occasionally exceed 4000 when shifting but I'm not too concerned. I try to stick close to what the manual says and I think everything will be fine. I'm only at 500 miles. Uggg.

That being said, I did do the motoman procedure in the past on my GSX-R1000 and FJR 1300 and both performed flawlessly for many miles. In fact, the buyer of the gixxer put it on a dyno and it got some of the highest numbers they've seen for that bike. Was it chance? Will the bike fail early? Probably and probably not.