Author Topic: New C14 breakin procedure  (Read 1116 times)

Offline AmericanExpress

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8578
  • Membership Level: Active
New C14 breakin procedure
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:00 pm »
I recently purchased a new "Red" c14.  I"m due to pick it up wednesday, the question is What is a good breakin procedure to use?  Thanks in advance  

Offline Kevin

• Training Wheels
  • 2012 Concours 1400 ABS
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 145
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:49:00 pm »
Just follow the instructions listed in the Owners Manual that comes with the bike.    Kevin  

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:37:00 am »
I agree with Kevin. Follow the manufactures recommendations and do an early oil change at around the 600 mile mark.    Personally, I like to get a couple good full heat cycles on the bike early on. I do this by riding the bike long enough to bring the oil up to full temp (about 30 miles), and then parking it and let it cool off for at least 4 hours. Commuting back and forth to work the first week is a great way to heat cycle the engine. While it is not a requirement, I believe it is a good practice to do on all engines.  
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Cold Streak

• Cold Streak
  • Moped
  • 952-215-2264
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8811
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:05:00 pm »
The most important thing to remember when breaking in any engine is to never lug it, that is to not give it too much throttle in a high gear.  You should never do this anyway, but it's especially bad when the rings are trying seat in the bores.  The other thing is to vary the rpms as much as possible. A long freeway trip at a constant speed is possibly the worst possible way to break in an engine.  Don't be afraid to use the throttle, but keep the revs below the recommended limits.  
COG #8811
14 Kawi KLR650 NE
08 Kawi Concours
75 Kawi H1