Author Topic: New Concours owner seeking advise.  (Read 1987 times)

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New Concours owner seeking advise.
« on: October 13, 2018, 05:58:33 pm »
Hello to everyone,

Great to see that a COGs forum exists on the internet. I have been riding for about 16 years and took some time off from owning a Motorcycle (was on the road too much). Was in the market to get a motorcycle and really loved the 2018 Kawasaki Concours right away. I didn't even know about the fan following for the bike. It checked all the boxes and I am finally a proud owner of a new Connie (my boss's name is Connie too, ironic)!

Anyhow, I did some research about the bike and read a lot about the mods etc. I want to keep the bike as stock as possible. However, I am interested in few mods so it lasts a long time. I am a daily rider kind of person and will take long trips once in a while. Would be great to get some advise from the folks here, would really appreciate it and thanks a lot in advance.

I) I am interested in getting a top case. Something smaller, maybe a 37-40 L. Main question is about installation and operation! I looked into the OEM case from Kawasaki. It is listed for about $270 on the website! Does it come with a brake light or is that something I have to install separately? GIVI and the Shad are available with the brake light and backrest kit. Not sure which one is cheaper! How does the brake light in the top case connect to the bike, is it permanent, or something that you can disconnect when you remove the case? I couldn't find any info on this. Also, can a bike shop install the top case mounting rack? Or I have to take it to the dealer. Little bit confused about this part! If someone can clarify or help would be great.

II) I want to install the canyon cage as well. How does it affect the handling of the bike? Is the extra weight too much or doesn't really make a difference at all? Can the dealer install it or again take it to a specific bike shop?

III) Handlebar risers. I do find the handle bars a bit low. Raising them 2 inches and moving them 1-2 inches backwards would be perfect. How easy or difficult is it to install them? Again who would be the best to install them?

Thanks a lot.

Looking forward to many miles on this beauty.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:13:55 pm by jackcarls0n »

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New Concours owner seeking advise.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 06:50:09 pm »
Welcome to the Group!

:welcome: :a035:
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:12:07 pm »
Thanks appreciate it.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:48:40 pm »
Welcome.

I believe AST makes the only riser with the pull-back. http://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_Risers_p/c14-03.htm  An installation video is near the bottom of the page. There are other straight risers of various heights from other sources. Murph has a set wedges available that change the angle some and work with risers, also.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 11:50:00 pm »
The 2" bar risers are the most popular for getting comfortable and eliminating the pressure on your hands due to the "sport bike lean". It seems like only about half of the people who add the wedges on the bar risers to move them back seem to like them....it just depends on many ergonomics that are different for each person. I personally am ok with the 2" risers alone and I also added the peg lowering brackets to reduce the bend of my knees....huge difference to me since I am 6'2" tall and have fairly long legs. I don't have canyon cages but I can't see any difference in handling but there is a difference when you have to remove the plastics for maintenance. Takes extra time but lots of people think its worth it and many don't put them on until they have had a tip over. My peg lowering brackets came from AST and they work great but I had problems with them since they didn't ship them with the right mounting parts so I had to mod them myself....customer service is spotty there sometimes. Glad to see you are on board with the best forum around to learn about these bikes.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 09:11:06 am »
Canyon cages won't have any effect on handling and you can put them on yourself. Study up on it first. There's plenty of info on this site about the CC install. I have Murph's risers, wedges and the AST pull backs on my C14. I also have Murphs pegs. They lower things just enough for my knees. I just did a ride to Colorado and didn't even think about my knees. I can't help you on the top case I don't use one. Good luck with keeping things as close to stock as possible. We are always messing with something on these bikes.  :)
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 12:09:12 pm »
It’s a good idea getting the canyon cages, the first time you drop your high center of gravity 700lb beastie you’ll thank yourself and they’ll have paid for themselves. Also, they provide an excellent mounting point for highway bars- a necessity in my book on any ride over a couple hours. If your worries about the weight....I would estimate 16-18lbs, not something anyone could probably feel, you could always replace the can with a CF Delkevic and neutralize the gain....and get a few extra ponies (with the baffle out) and a pleasing growl to boot!
As far as a top case, the baseplate adapter for the Monokey (most common) is just 4 bolts attached to your luggage rack, anyone can attach it. Afterwards it’s just a turn of the key and the pressing of a button to release /attach. The Kawi version will not come with lights, but you can always add them and wire in a quick connect, not very hard if you’ve done any kind of wiring, instructions will be included....they have LED kits designed specifically for this, check out Admore:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/admore-lighting-high-output-led-kit-for-givi-v47-top-cases-red-amber?gloc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw0oveBRAmEiwAzf6_rP3BfvfSnXGNNrPMt9UyeMmjCXL_dpFOUFYMaM9Zzu87nOAYkIHUzxoCdTkQAvD_BwE
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline Anthony

• Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 02:40:47 pm »
Hello to everyone,

Great to see that a COGs forum exists on the internet. I have been riding for about 16 years and took some time off from owning a Motorcycle (was on the road too much). Was in the market to get a motorcycle and really loved the 2018 Kawasaki Concours right away. I didn't even know about the fan following for the bike. It checked all the boxes and I am finally a proud owner of a new Connie (my boss's name is Connie too, ironic)!

Anyhow, I did some research about the bike and read a lot about the mods etc. I want to keep the bike as stock as possible. However, I am interested in few mods so it lasts a long time. I am a daily rider kind of person and will take long trips once in a while. Would be great to get some advise from the folks here, would really appreciate it and thanks a lot in advance.

I) I am interested in getting a top case. Something smaller, maybe a 37-40 L. Main question is about installation and operation! I looked into the OEM case from Kawasaki. It is listed for about $270 on the website! Does it come with a brake light or is that something I have to install separately? GIVI and the Shad are available with the brake light and backrest kit. Not sure which one is cheaper! How does the brake light in the top case connect to the bike, is it permanent, or something that you can disconnect when you remove the case? I couldn't find any info on this. Also, can a bike shop install the top case mounting rack? Or I have to take it to the dealer. Little bit confused about this part! If someone can clarify or help would be great.

II) I want to install the canyon cage as well. How does it affect the handling of the bike? Is the extra weight too much or doesn't really make a difference at all? Can the dealer install it or again take it to a specific bike shop?

III) Handlebar risers. I do find the handle bars a bit low. Raising them 2 inches and moving them 1-2 inches backwards would be perfect. How easy or difficult is it to install them? Again who would be the best to install them?

Thanks a lot.

Looking forward to many miles on this beauty.

Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of great aftermarket products for the bike. For the top case, I personally have the Kawasaki case, which is made by Givi. It works well, but I plan to go to a case straight from Givi that is a little bigger (47L). I can't speak for the brake lights because I don't have them in my case, but I know they are available. With the top case, I recommend a Phils Farkles rack with the SW-Motech kit. It replaces the flimsy plastic stock rack but still looks fairly close to stock and is much more sturdy. It keeps the top case from moving around as much and also gets rid of the need for a separate mounting plate for the case. The rack allows you to snap the Givi Monokey case directly to the rack and it is very secure. I have the rack now and I love it.

I can't speak to the Canyon Cages yet, though I do plan to get some soon. I do have the 2 inch bar risers from Murphskits. They work great and I was able to install them myself very easily. They don't require any change in the brake or clutch lines and it also comes with screw spots to attach a Ram ball mount. They work well and it definitely puts me in a more comfortable riding position for long distance rides.

Offline Rico

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12496
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 04:00:33 pm »
Don't forget a slip on pipe and a ECU reflash.
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 09:29:30 pm »
Welcome.

I believe AST makes the only riser with the pull-back. http://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_Risers_p/c14-03.htm  An installation video is near the bottom of the page. There are other straight risers of various heights from other sources. Murph has a set wedges available that change the angle some and work with risers, also.

Very helpful video at the end. I think the pullback risers would work out perfect for me! Thanks MtnRider.

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:39:47 pm »
@DirtWiz Thanks for the good info. Appreciate it. I think I might just get the ATS 2" risers. The pegs feel fine. It is just the reach on the left handle bar is a bit challenging and the pull back would be perfect. Will give it a try.

@C. Moore I will keep it as stock as possible. I am having second thoughts on frame sliders. I do have complete insurance. So if I drop it I guess I have to call the insurance company. But I am not sure what is the best way. I looked at the Canyon Cage, Total Blocks, T-Rex and R&G racing ones. Not sure which one to go. If I get Total Blocks, do I need to get rear bag protectors too?

@NYbiomed Yeah, I am thinking about the frame sliders. Few options, but not sure which provides the best protection. I am leaning towards Top Blocks and considering the Canyon Cage from MCE. Do I need front and rear with MCE? What about the top block? Do I need to install rear saddle protectors with top block?

@Anthony Thanks for the insight on the top case. that helps a lot. On the Kawasaki site, there is a different base plate for the top case
https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/kqr-47-liter-top-case-base-plate/999940620
is this still not good? So better to get a different rack/base plate?

@Rico Not sure what is the ECU flash. I will look into it though.

Thanks for all the wonderful insight. Thanks a lot.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 10:41:52 pm »
”I recommend a Phils Farkles rack with the SW-Motech kit. It replaces the flimsy plastic stock rack but still looks fairly close to stock and is much more sturdy”

This ^^^

True, I run the same, but is a heavier investment than the Monokey baseplate that come with the Kawi top case and the SW-Motech kit can be hard to find/acquire...unless TT has been more diligent about keeping them in stock?

Jackcarls0n

You won’t get the protection for the panniers without the rear cages, the good news is that they go on/off quickly. Running the bike without the panniers and with the cages looks super goofy. This is not a problem for me tho, as I literally never ride without my sidecases. Murphy’s law says without the rear cages you will scrub a pannier, if you can’t live with that, get the rears...

Oh yeah, and get SISF or Ivan’s flash for sure, worth it. Unfortunately, the reality is that one almost needs to spend around $2k to get it juuuust right....and we haven’t even addressed the suspension or a seat, or cruise control.

:-\
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:59:07 pm by NYbiomed »
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 11:59:13 pm »
+1 on the canyon cages ... and soon IMO. I also have the canyon cages (of whatever they're called there; I forget) on the rear to protect the saddle bags, which work great, but they look rather odd when bags are removed.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Ken

• Skinman
  • Bicycle
  • Retired fireman, Vietnam, 101st ABN. 2/17 CAV
  • COG#: 11782
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 01:18:20 am »
Along with all the rest mentioned, look at the STS, which cancels the turn signals and the switch back lights. Plug and play changes turn signal lights to LED, rear turn signal lights to running lights and front to white running lights. Blinks orange. Worth looking into. Two of the best addons I have put on the bike.   

Offline Anthony

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 02:16:36 am »
@DirtWiz Thanks for the good info. Appreciate it. I think I might just get the ATS 2" risers. The pegs feel fine. It is just the reach on the left handle bar is a bit challenging and the pull back would be perfect. Will give it a try.

@C. Moore I will keep it as stock as possible. I am having second thoughts on frame sliders. I do have complete insurance. So if I drop it I guess I have to call the insurance company. But I am not sure what is the best way. I looked at the Canyon Cage, Total Blocks, T-Rex and R&G racing ones. Not sure which one to go. If I get Total Blocks, do I need to get rear bag protectors too?

@NYbiomed Yeah, I am thinking about the frame sliders. Few options, but not sure which provides the best protection. I am leaning towards Top Blocks and considering the Canyon Cage from MCE. Do I need front and rear with MCE? What about the top block? Do I need to install rear saddle protectors with top block?

@Anthony Thanks for the insight on the top case. that helps a lot. On the Kawasaki site, there is a different base plate for the top case
https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/kqr-47-liter-top-case-base-plate/999940620

I don't know anything about that mounting plate. It still is made with ABS plastic though so it will still have a flex in it. The Philsfarkles rack is made of metal and much more sturdy. I know the older Kawasaki top cases are a Monolock cases, which do not work with the SW Motech kit on the Phils rack. This is why I would go through Givi USA to get a Monokey case. But that's me personally.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 02:20:18 am »
Just bought a Givi v56 maxia from Motostorm and it was the best price I could find! $315 shipped to me!

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:15 am »

I don't know anything about the Total Blocks except they are expensive. For the money most go with the canyon cages. The install is pretty straight forward. You do need to watch the motor mounts and be careful you don't strip or otherwise screw those up. Most damage to fairings is done with low speed drops and you can count on that happening at some point.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Jeff

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12267
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 10:38:04 am »
Welcome! I am not sure if there has been any improvements lately with the locking devices on the newer saddlebags, but if not the cheapest and most important modification you need to do is pin your bags.  There has been enough people that have lost their bags while riding under normal conditions.  A very expensive thing to fix or replace.  You can do a search to see how easy it is to do, but basically you can drill a 1/4" hole through the dog ears on the bottom of you bags and through the nob they go over.  Then install a detent pin to secure the bags.  Something I regret not doing sooner.

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 10:59:47 am »
Welcome to the COG Forum.  You'll get all the farkling advice you could ever need from the fine folks of COG.  You should consider coming out to some events...where are you in the SE?
Run w/ the Bullfrogs - Jan. 4-6
Jennings Track Day - Feb. 8-10

'14 C14 Black

Offline stallhorn

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 12:11:30 pm »
welcome to the forum!

I am a newbie as well and considering top block or canyon cages. I saw a bike with canyon cages, not too impressed with the looks. I saw a top block installed a long time ago (as a kawi factory option may be), looks a lot better. But at twice as much, and maybe a little less protection, and maybe a little more difficulty to install - I am still considering going with Top Block. I hear it is not as elegant as it used to be, but I am not sure about the canyon cages. They just don't look all that great on the slick Concours!

i haven't done the pins, but I think that is a no brainer. The rear bag protectors - I could work with those..
2018 C14
2011 Versys 650 - sold

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:02 pm »
Welcome to the COG Forum.  You'll get all the farkling advice you could ever need from the fine folks of COG.  You should consider coming out to some events...where are you in the SE?

I am in the Tampa bay/Orlando area. Thanks. I'll be looking to some join some events.

Thanks

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 10:51:13 pm »
Thank you everyone for all the information. I have been riding more often and I am finding the seating and handle bar  more comfortable everyday. I will get grip puppies and maybe helibar risers if needed.

For the frame sliders, I think I will pass on the rear ones for now. But I think canyon cages would better fit the requirements. Don't wanna make a hole in the fairing. Rest will let the insurance take care of if needed.

Main is the storage. The Kawi box on the kawi site looks like the givi V47. I'd get the one on Kawi site, but as mentioned here, the case is monolock and not monokey. So I'll order the givi topcase seprately and the Phil's rack woth SW monotech option. Will add some lights to the topcase or build my own system ( I do have electrical background).

Thanks a lot.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 10:52:30 pm »
Just give us your credit card # and we'll do the rest ;)

http://forum.cog-online.org/southeast-events/
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 11:01:44 pm »

It is 4380 .. haha thanks ;)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 11:51:05 am »

It is 4380 .. haha thanks ;)

Credit card rejected please send cash :D :D :D  Welcome to the forum
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."