Author Topic: New Concours owner seeking advise.  (Read 1986 times)

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: New Concours owner seeking advise.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 09:23:15 pm »
Just give us your credit card # and we'll do the rest ;)

http://forum.cog-online.org/southeast-events/

It is 4380 .. haha thanks ;)

Credit card rejected please send cash :D :D :D  Welcome to the forum

:rotflmao:

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 11:59:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I tipped my bike over on a long trip, however I had the canyon cages installed and the only thing damaged was my pride which was repaired as soon as I hit some winding roads. I use the SHAD 50L top box and it works great. I replaced the top rack with a metal one as the top box bounces and flexes a lot on the stock top rack.
CDA #0542

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 12:19:28 am »
Welcome to the forum! I tipped my bike over on a long trip, however I had the canyon cages installed and the only thing damaged was my pride which was repaired as soon as I hit some winding roads. I use the SHAD 50L top box and it works great. I replaced the top rack with a metal one as the top box bounces and flexes a lot on the stock top rack.

Yes, that ugly poly adapter plate is an eyesore when your not riding with the top case. SW-Motech has a metal bracket/male locking point that takes a good 80% of the flex out of the equation. Twisted Throttle was usually OOS on this, I went looking for a link last week and couldn’t find it on the website, but I believe Phil got a bunch and will sell them with his beautiful rack....not exactly cheap, but worth his asking price IMO. Much, much better solution.
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 11:26:08 pm »

I too have the SHAD topcase; believe the 48L one and canyon cages. Both very useful/practical accessories IMO.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Howiehere

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 09:13:11 am »
I have 2” risers on mine, and wouldn’t want the bars any lower. It came with them, not sure how difficult to install. I don’t feel the need for a wedge to adjust further.

Installed canyon cages myself. It was a time-intensive process, but very doable. I’d highly recommend them. They look great on my ‘09, and have already saved me great expense from a low speed drop. I didn’t notice any handling effects before and after from the minimal weight added.

Welcome to the Connie family! I’m a newbie here myself. Many great people with great experience and insight.
“I too am not a bit tamed—I too am untranslatable; I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.” - Whitman

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 01:45:43 pm »
To each their own, my bars are lower than stock ;D

It is a Sport bike RIGHT :nananana:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 02:40:43 am »
Thanks again to everyone for the wonderful input. Enjoying reading all the suggestions and advise. I am leaning towards the canyon cage too. A highway peg would be a great add on.

Risers, I am not sure yet. I checked the brake and clutch line attachment on my bike and it looks completely different compared to the risers installation  videos and pictures. Will upload the pics soon.

I think Phil's rack with the monokey system built in is the best option. Removes the idea of attaching another base plate and I can get a monokey case from Givi.

Might add additional lights for rear brake lights and turn signal on the saddle bags. Might design a bracket and a wiring system for it. That would be an interesting project. Not sure if someone has done that before. So running lights on saddle bags that work as turn signal and running lights for top case that would work as brake light too.

Not too keen on modifying the bike too much. So not adding cruise control system. I guess an O-ring with a throttle lock system would be fine for me.

Thank you all.

Suggestions for lighting system is welcomed.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2018, 03:10:16 am »
I am running Hyper Lites for brake lites and turn signals. If you these lites to the saddle bags please keep us informed. I did not know how to do that without limiting the ease of removing the bags.
CDA #0542

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2018, 10:27:07 am »
I am running Hyper Lites for brake lites and turn signals. If you these lites to the saddle bags please keep us informed. I did not know how to do that without limiting the ease of removing the bags.

I have thought about adding lighting to my luggage without making removal and installation of the bag difficult with something like these https://thmotorsports.com/67237-painless-wiring-jamb-tac-contact-kit-2-wire-kit?gclid=CjwKCAjwmdDeBRA8EiwAXlarFrCe0XgFtZ07uiaJnj4DjJ5vDAKAGfT4D0Pi3SbRIM5zbUUmtMy99RoCiQEQAvD_BwE.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2018, 11:52:26 am »
Not quite as elagant as Grant's but I got these and am happy with them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V67W77/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2018, 12:50:55 pm »
Not quite as elagant as Grant's but I got these and am happy with them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V67W77/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just ordered some connectors like those to make taking the turn signals off and back on my track bike easier. Looks like there is a specific crimping tool used for those pins. Do you know what it is called?

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2018, 03:07:39 pm »
Amazon has this which looks like it does the roll crimp but states a max size of 18 ga. https://www.amazon.com/Compression-Ratcheting-Insulated-0-1-1-0mm2-MG/dp/B07FCX1M6Q/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1540655811&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=crimping+tool&psc=1

I used a standard crimper on mine. It doesn't do the nice roll crimp but works fine for the conductor crimp. It doesn't do so good on the insulation crimp but I dressed it with a needle nose to get it small enough to fit in the plastic part.  And you could solder the conductor crimp for added security.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline MtnRider

• Bicycle
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2018, 09:13:47 pm »
2015 Black C14

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 12:24:13 am »
I was in the same boat with a top case. Factory unit was huge and expensive. I found a Shad SH33 on Ebay  for like $100. The mount was like $60 more and I am delighted with it. It also serves as a backrest for passenger and doesn't look too stupid.
As I have gotten to know the bike I have found it to be pretty comfortable. At first it was a torture rack, and I couldn't believe how anyone could ride one of these things over distance. It has gotten much better over time and  I like the bike more the longer I have it. It weighs 150# too much, but I love it anyway.
You might try riding it for awhile to see if you find you need the mods. For me, the must have are Ivans ECU flash and suspension work. The flash lets the engine run quite a bit cooler and with less vibration which I have to think helps longevity. Stock suspension is OK for traction but brutal for comfort.
A note about the motor. I break everything a la the Motoman method and I found that my motor continued to shed metal fines through its first several oil changes, more so than most other bikes I have had. I changed at 20, 200. 600, 1000, 1800, and there was still some fine glitter at 1800. Presently, the oil stays gold and clear for 2000+ miles and there is very little metal in it.

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »

Canyon cages do seem to provide good protection. How easy/difficult is it to service the bike with them on? When you tipped it over did the rear protectors touch the ground too? Or the front ones were enough.

I am interested in the shad too. But I am confused. Do I need the Shad bracket[K0GT18ST] installed on top of the factory rack and then the base plate that comes with the topcase or just the baseplate and topcase? My only reason to go with GIVI will because of Phil’s Rack, no need for any other base plate or rack.
I don’t mind the Shad plate being there 24/7.

My plan is to attach turn indicator lights and brake/running lights on each saddle bag. I will use a quick disconnect method for the wiring to remove the bags [I don’t plan to remove the bags though]. Will keep advised when I do the wiring. Will post the pictures.

I was in the same boat with a top case. Factory unit was huge and expensive. I found a Shad SH33 on Ebay  for like $100. The mount was like $60 more and I am delighted with it. It also serves as a backrest for passenger and doesn't look too stupid.

Nice idea. The sixty dollar mount, is that the metal mount? Or the plastic baseplate?

Just found what appears to be a better set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195VXA10/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3E5YDYCEXB5C3&psc=1

Thanks MtnRider for the suggestion, i like the connector suggestion you posted. I am thinking to get those and the wire stripper set as you suggested and a Dremel Butane Soldering Iron (fir portability, plus it works as a heat blower for heat shrinks].

For the frame sliders. They are three options:

Top blocks, R&G racing and MCE’s canyon cage. Do you need just the cages or swimg arm and front fork protection too? Couldn’t really find info about front fork or swing arm protectors. Looking at Top Blocks, it seems one doesn’t need saddle bag protectors. So that offsets the cost a bit compared to the Canyon Cages. Next point is about servicing. How difficult is it to service the bikes with top blocks vs canyon cages installed?

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 02:59:53 pm »
Regarding the mount plate for Shad, IIRC it only comes one way as a kit to mount with plastic and metal components.

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2018, 05:47:53 am »
jackcarls0n,

The Canyon Cages can make removing the middle and bottom faring a challenge, however every time I am doing this it is for a valve inspection and the Canyon Cages need to come off anyway. You can cut a notch on the mounting tabs of the middle faring that make removal with the Canyon Cages possible. When I tipped my bike over both the front and rear Canyon Cages were in contact with the ground. Actually I have tipped it over once and a friend also did once. Both times the front and rear Canyon Cages were in contact with the ground preventing damage to the expensive plastics.
CDA #0542

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
jackcarls0n,

The Canyon Cages can make removing the middle and bottom faring a challenge, however every time I am doing this it is for a valve inspection and the Canyon Cages need to come off anyway. You can cut a notch on the mounting tabs of the middle faring that make removal with the Canyon Cages possible. When I tipped my bike over both the front and rear Canyon Cages were in contact with the ground. Actually I have tipped it over once and a friend also did once. Both times the front and rear Canyon Cages were in contact with the ground preventing damage to the expensive plastics.
+1. I also cut the notch on each of my fairings. Sight unseen and it works well. To me, this is easier than removing the canyon cages to perform maintenance. The cages have not been in the way of any work I've had to perform, including valve inspection/adjustment.
David L. Hamil

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2018, 09:40:42 pm »
Regarding the mount plate for Shad, IIRC it only comes one way as a kit to mount with plastic and metal components.

I'm still using the same Shad (one of the first Murph's sold) I bought for my C10, and mounted to my C14 in '07...
it came with a 2 piece base, a metal plate with mounting holes, and a top covering plate that had the bag attachment hooks/retainer.

mine was a 42L, not sure what they make now as far as mounting plates go, but I never had an issue with mine... great product, still going strong after 11 years...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2018, 02:20:40 am »

I'm still using the same Shad (one of the first Murph's sold) I bought for my C10, and mounted to my C14 in '07...
it came with a 2 piece base, a metal plate with mounting holes, and a top covering plate that had the bag attachment hooks/retainer.

mine was a 42L, not sure what they make now as far as mounting plates go, but I never had an issue with mine... great product, still going strong after 11 years...

Thank you. Appreciate the info. I am leaning towards Shad because off the overall package.

jackcarls0n,

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

jackcarls0n,

+1. I also cut the notch on each of my fairings. Sight unseen and it works well. To me, this is easier than removing the canyon cages to perform maintenance. The cages have not been in the way of any work I've had to perform, including valve inspection/adjustment.

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2018, 11:42:49 pm »
jackcarls0n,

Road Runner,

How do you do the valve inspection without removing the front canyon cages? Am I doing it wrong?
CDA #0542

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2018, 12:06:36 am »
jackcarls0n,

Road Runner,

How do you do the valve inspection without removing the front canyon cages? Am I doing it wrong?

Good question. I've performed several valve inspections & adjustments since installing the canyon cages. If I recall correctly there is bracket or bracket behind the right-size canyon cage bar. I loosened the canyon cage bold slightly and moved it out of the way, but did not remove them. Some like all of the wrenching and don't mind taking off whatever and whenever, but (to me) there is already some much that comes off to perform this service that "less is more" to me. Outside of this, neither the left or right canyon cage is in the way to remove anything else, including the valve cover, etc. It's simply not in the same area of work where the actual valve inspections and adjustments are performed.
David L. Hamil