Author Topic: New Owner / Fuel Bar flashing  (Read 703 times)

Offline collisba

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New Owner / Fuel Bar flashing
« on: October 25, 2018, 12:46:52 pm »
Hello everyone. I picked up a 2008 C14 non-abs last night. If all works out, I just got a respectable deal. The issues that I need to work thru right now are overheating at idle (fan works, coolant was low, most likely stuck thermostat), and flashing fuel gauge. I can't find info on the fuel gauge. The manual mentions only the bottom part flashing. The entire thing, all 6 bars, flash all the time. There is no low fuel warning, and the previous owner's widow said that she filled it up, but it still flashed.

The bike sat for about 6 years, started and ridden around the block occasionally. It has 20K miles. It starts fine, and all else seems ok. Anyone have insight on the entire fuel gauge flashing?

Thanks,  Brian

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: New Owner / Fuel Bar flashing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:07:51 pm »
Welcome. Your 2008 is the second generation Concours or C14. You posted in the C10 section. A mod will probably put this in the right section for you. Good luck, those newer models have way more electronics than my older 1988 beast.

Offline collisba

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »
Yep. Sorry about that.. clicked on the wrong link.

Thanks!

B

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: 2008 New Owner / Fuel Gauge Flashing
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:03:35 pm »
I don't know the answer to this, but suggest an old fashioned re-boot.
ie; Disconnect the battery, "clean" all battery contact points, reinstall battery.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline collisba

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 06:32:51 pm »
Sounds like a good starting point. I'll give that a shot and report back on the result.

Thanks,

B

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:11:43 pm »
Just a guess but maybe the fuel float arm is stuck or there is some other issue with the fuel level sender.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 07:25:09 pm »
6 years?
remove the battery, clean all the cable connectors, and frame ground points with sandpaper, throw old battery away... buy new battery, and fully charge it, and install...
flashing lights are almost always a sign of a bad connection, or dead/severely dying battery.
as for "low fuel" warnings, there is a float sensor, and also a low fuel sensor on the fuel pump itself, either could be compromised from moisture in the tank over 6 years old... the one on the pump sits down low in the tank, so it may be 'frozen' also.

ditch all that fuel anyways tho... don't ever run or start a bike with 6 year old fuel in it... you are just opening the door for mega work when stuff gets clogged up...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 07:38:45 pm »
duplicate post here, see the other post for responses, this one will disappear shortly.

Offline collisba

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 12:53:55 am »
Pulled off the fairing and found a 2018 AGM battery. Removed the thermostat, and ran for about 30 mins, with no overheating. Fuel bars still flashing after battery was removed for 20 mins. Not sure what to make of it. Any thoughts?

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 02:09:33 am »
Same thought as in my previous post. Something wrong with fuel level sender. I googled flashing fuel gauge  and got a few results for Japanese bikes a few indicated flashing guage means fuel sander problem. There is a section in manual for checking this. Let me know if you need it.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 10:02:54 am »
You could probably get the entire fuel sender/pump from eBay for under $50 shipped. Just put a new fuel filter on, they’re only a few dollars and the entire swap should not take you more than 45 minutes.

GL and  :welcome:
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 11:05:22 am »
You could probably get the entire fuel sender/pump from eBay for under $50 shipped. Just put a new fuel filter on, they’re only a few dollars and the entire swap should not take you more than 45 minutes.

GL and  :welcome:

.....and also a VERy good idea to replace the fuel filter....

All of the above would be MY next move.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline collisba

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 04:50:19 pm »
The fuel float / sender appeared to be the issue. Since the bike had sat for a considerable amount of time, job #2 was to drain the fuel and replace. It smelled like turpentine, and a look in the tank showed an amazing amount of rust. 4 days worth of vinegar / salt / rinse, more vinegar / salt and then rinse with fuel got the rust out. I purchased a used fuel pump on Ebay, and have a new sender on the way also. I cleaned the old sender, and have it in there now, and it's showing Low Fuel, which is correct. I can't believe that the bike ran with the old fuel in it. 

I'm in the middle of the thermostat change now. The Kaw engineer that put a wiring harness across it should be flogged.

Here's a vid that I made earlier this week showing the fuel bars flashing in case anyone is curious.
https://youtu.be/1hXQDHVXohQ

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

B

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 08:57:40 pm »
The fuel float / sender appeared to be the issue. Since the bike had sat for a considerable amount of time, job #2 was to drain the fuel and replace. It smelled like turpentine, and a look in the tank showed an amazing amount of rust. 4 days worth of vinegar / salt / rinse, more vinegar / salt and then rinse with fuel got the rust out. I purchased a used fuel pump on Ebay, and have a new sender on the way also. I cleaned the old sender, and have it in there now, and it's showing Low Fuel, which is correct. I can't believe that the bike ran with the old fuel in it. 

I'll reiterate again, never try to start a bike, that has fuel sitting in it for a long period of time... especially 6 years time....

as for "cleaning", you really should have asked about that also...
'Vinegar and Salt" may be fine for potato chips... but as a rust remover, and treatment, it's probably the worst idea... it should be flushed repeatedly with HOT water, to remove every trace of the corrosive salt, and the vinegar you put in there, and dried completely... that residue will "suck up" moisture and again rust that tank... guranteed...
Even doing this HOT water and drying, repeatedly, you will see rust beginning to form within days on an open tank now.

so don't install the parts, remove everything from the tank, all the screws and caps, and fuel sending parts, and treat the tank. Being a fuel injected bike as this is, it's simply required, and if not done, will result in costly repairs, and a severe reduction of "enjoyment" on the bikes longevity.

treat it with an appropriate rust remover, following the directions to the "T", even go further and 'pretreat' the cleaned tank with an anti corrosive protectant, to prevent further issues.

for rust removal only, I trust this stuff...
https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Remover

but, that just removes the rust, I suggest the dual step treatment provided by the "pre treat products"

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Metal-Prep_p_15.html

this leaves a phosphate 'coating', which resists further deterioration, and also allows adhesion if so desired, for an additional coating. It also can be salvaged, and re used over and over, until it depletes itself... so don't dump it out when you pour it from the tank.

I've used these product many times over the last 15 years, and can attest they work great.

for a complete system of fuel tank repair, the 'kits' are great, I have used them on severely rusted tanks.
https://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration_c_17.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:17:50 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline collisba

• Big Wheels
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 10:44:46 pm »
Well rats. I got the vinegar/salt routing from a google search. Looks like my work has just begun. Thanks for the link, I'll get that part started.

The folks selling the bike said they had filled the tank when I was looking it over. I didn't know how much of it was old until I started draining, mostly concerned that they may have put 87 octane in there when it calls for 90 or better. That's when I found all of the rust. I did flush with cold water several times, but hot water probably would have been a better call. It was completely dry before I added fuel. Good thing I still have fuel parts ariving soon.

Thanks for all of the advice!

B

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 10:50:51 am »
Hi Brian,
Welcome to the forum.
Looks like you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, and with the knowledge folks on the forum and the club have, you shoudl be able to get the beast running well. I'd say the fact it ran with that junk gas is a good testament that all else is in good shape, so keep at it, and then enjoy for a long time :great:
Jorge

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 05:55:32 pm »
Well rats. I got the vinegar/salt routing from a google search. Looks like my work has just begun. Thanks for the link, I'll get that part started.

The folks selling the bike said they had filled the tank when I was looking it over. I didn't know how much of it was old until I started draining, mostly concerned that they may have put 87 octane in there when it calls for 90 or better. That's when I found all of the rust. I did flush with cold water several times, but hot water probably would have been a better call. It was completely dry before I added fuel. Good thing I still have fuel parts ariving soon.

Thanks for all of the advice!

B

I think it's safe to say you are at a point where you can accomplish the proper method without major isssue, as it's disassembled and you are waiting for parts.
I also think you probably can forego the "agressive" rust remover, and use the "metal prep" product I noted above, as it does work well to remove that 'light/fine' coating it has now, and it then coats the bare metal with the Zinc Phosphate as an intermediate protectant.
You may need to make a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot, and find some rubber plugs to use during the process, to allow you to oscillate and turn the tank to various angles so a ppol of the prep solution sits in contact with the various parts of the tank for at least 1/3 hour on all areas; the shape of the tank is funky, so it will take some time and imagination, but setting in an old tire, or a plastic waste basket, while the tank is wrapped in towels of old sweatshirts, nad changing the way it sits at various angles, should work to suit.

best of luck, and DO follow the instructions on the metal prep product, especially the rinse and dry afterwards. Once assembled, and back on the bike, purchase a NEW clean gas can, at least 2 gallon size, and add 2 gallons of "clean fresh fuel" form a gas station you TRUST, and then start and run the bike...then refill that 2 gallon can, and mix a double dose(based on a 6 gallon amount) of "Blue- Marine Grade Sta-Bil", and a 1 ounce of good synthetic 2 stroke oil in that can, shake it well, and add that to the tank, then ride the bike 15 minutes, and fill it up to remove the remaining airspace, and get that mixed fuel into the injection system and distributed, before placing the bike into winter hibernation..
That should do it good...

Oh, while you have that tank off, another important suggestion, as this has been popping up lately, is to blow compressed air thru both the vent lines on that tank, the ones that have vent hoses on them at the rear of the tank... one is a vent for around the lid, to drain water away from the sealed cap, the other is a pressure vent for the tank itself, when the lid is sealed... make sure both of those are clear, as trying to clear them when you have the tank on the bike, and full, is kinda tough...

best of luck, :great:

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 08:34:02 pm »
Vinegar and salt good for potato chips :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Good one MOB

That is a northern thing, I LOVE eating Salt, but keep it away from my steel.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:52:07 am by cuda »
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 09:58:45 pm »
yeh, where I live, we know salt... I live about 3-4 miles as the crow flies, from the major mines....
https://goo.gl/maps/P6Vfrf5mt4s

I personally never add salt to anything.

interviewed for a job there 50 years ago, to do "mapping".... 1500' down, with a lake over my head, just kinda freaked me out....

we get all the salt we need... all winter.... on the roads here.