Author Topic: new owner with light blinking issue  (Read 386 times)

Offline D_1

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
new owner with light blinking issue
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:27:45 am »
Hello,

I just bought my first concours, 2012, and love it.  I have a new issue however.  After I parked it today, I noticed the warning light indicator light flashes once at a regular pace after shut down. It seems to start and run fine and the light goes away after start up.  No other warning lights or messages on dash.  Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: new owner with light blinking issue
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:31:34 am »
That is normal. Mine does it too. Think of it as "I'm alive and well" indicator.
It will stop flashing  after a while.

I believe the owners manual has more info on this.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline WANDRNG

• Street Cruiser
  • SouthWest AAD
    • Wandering Back Roads
  • COG#: 12077
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:58:40 am »
D_1

First off, welcome to the COG forum. Lots of good people and information to be found here. Glad to have you.

As to your question: Once you turn off your C14, the red warning indicator turns into the slowly blinking immobilization indicator - it blinks to indicate that your immobilization system is functioning properly. It blinks for 24 hours then stops (but your immobilization system continues its important and needed work) - there is a way to make the indicator quit blinking.
Complete explanation is in my 2015 Owners Manual on page 61 in General Information > Meter Instruments  (2012 page may differ)

Be sure to drop by the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself and your Concours
http://forum.cog-online.org/introductions/

I see that you are in the Southwest region, what state? Wanted to mention the upcoming SW Wild Wasatch Regional Rally on Sept 15-17 in Provo UT.  You should join us for some great riding roads, food and motorcycle talk.
http://forum.cog-online.org/southwest-events/2017-wild-wasatch-rally-(ut)/

And check the COG calendar for other events to meet other members
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=46796

Keith
Southwest AAD - Nor Cal

Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 -- 2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads: RRs -- Wandering the Northwest -- Heading East Out West

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:52:40 am »
Darren, I will echo what has been said already. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike. I know a few of the S/W guys and they are not a bad group. They like to ride and have fun like most of us like to do.

Your Area Director is a nut and OK to hang out with. We like Mark up here in the N/W even.  If you can make it to the S/W regional, or any event for that matter, I would bet you would have a good time. Plus it would give you a chance to see what others have done to their C14's.

Your flashing red light is normal and I bet if you go to the pages all ready mentioned in the owners manual it will tell you how to turn the light off if you want. The procedure is very simple but it escapes me on how to do it as it's been awhile. I think you have 20 seconds after the key is switched off to press the two dash buttons. Can't remember which is first before the second one is pushed. Could be you have to wait 20 seconds before pushing the buttons. The flashing light will turn it's self off after 24 hours of sitting so it doesn't run the battery down. Keep the rubbery side down,Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 11:28:48 am »
I always recommend reading the Owner's Manual.  If you didn't get one you can download a PDF version free from Kawasaki.  But the 2012 manual, on page 57 says:

"When the key is turned to 'OFF', the warning indicator light will start blinking indicating that the immobilizer system is enabled.  After 24 hours have passed, the warning indicator light will stop blinking; however the immobilizer system is still enabled."
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline D_1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:56:44 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'm in Arizona, so my rides are short right now, too hot. I guess I need to get myself an owners manual.  These are very comfortable bikes, coming from a BMW K1200RS, a little too leaned over for the long rides.  I'll be sure to check the event calendar.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...