Author Topic: New to me Connie 14 review  (Read 665 times)

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Training Wheels
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New to me Connie 14 review
« on: December 24, 2018, 10:55:32 pm »
   The good the bad and the ugly...
First impressions, the ABS brakes are awesome on this bike. Great breaking/stopping power.
 (don't like the linked brakes) maybe it will grow on me?

The wind protection is simply amazing, legs, hands, upper body, even with the shield full down. So good I feel it may be too hot to ride in the Florida summer heat. I usually wear my textile jacket below 75° and did today when I left temps were 59° and only warmed up to 70° I can tell you it will only be mesh from now on, I was hot all day. Also noted my helmet shield was up most of the day and it was pleasant even at speed. I could not do this previously on other bikes.

The power is smooth across the full range but has flat spots, choppy shifting and the secondary's seem to delay/bog down acceleration. Steve's flash took care of that, smoother now, better shifting and I notice enjoying short shifting with Steve's Flash. Better/crisper power across full range, a noticeable improvement.

The power is nice, but not the wow factor I expected but after all it's a heavy beast and a Sport Tourer and does that well. The top end is amazing, just keeps pulling and loves the freeway. 100mph feels like 50mph on any other bike. Smooth at high speeds and rock steady, felt very capable and sure footed. It feels heavy, nose heavy cornering but it is a heavy bike and I need to get used to that and I'll be adding a couple more psi to the tires and see how that feels. Ergonomics...I'm disappointed. Legs are cramped (maybe peg extenders) and the stock seat absolutely sucks, I was sore quick and would slide forward towards the tank. All these little dislikes can be easily cured throwing cash at it. Overall I'm impressed and will be making some changes/adjustments to my taste and style. But what bike have you not had to customize or accessorize?

Okay, now for the ugly. There is nothing ugly about this motorcycle. I find it gorgeous.

Arrived safely home and found my new Competition 2 High Flow slip on can on my doorstep and mini garage door opener. Install slip on for Christmas and program the mini remote. A good day on a great bike.

Thank you Steve!! and thanks for riding with me to assure I was pleased with the Flash...I am very pleased and appreciate your time especially when your personal life is so busy and throw in a Holiday...but you still took care of me. Very much appreciated :great:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:00:47 pm by Tundra »

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New to me Connie 14 review
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 12:56:00 am »
Nice review, you will likely enjoy it more the more you ride it. I have a 2013 and find the stock seat fine. You don't wear regular underwear do you? I also installed sport bike metal pegs that gave me 3/4" lower foot position that helped a lot with cramped legs. The lined brakes do take some getting used to.
Enjoy!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 12:59:21 am »
Nice review, you will likely enjoy it more the more you ride it. I have a 2013 and find the stock seat fine. You don't wear regular underwear do you? I also installed sport bike metal pegs that gave me 3/4" lower foot position that helped a lot with cramped legs. The lined brakes do take some getting used to.
Enjoy!

Wow, thought I was the only one; I too have the stock seat on my '13 w/ > 50 K miles on bike now, but I understand what works for one doesn't for another.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline mirage

• Tricycle
  • Walking stick
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 02:08:23 am »
When I first left the dealership on mine my thoughts on the seat was "Wow, this is the softest seat I've ever sat on."  I still think that.  I'm one of those guys that uses the front brakes exclusively and rarely uses the rear. I was surprised by how good the linked brakes are and will try and use them more in the future.  I just came off a ZRX and understand your power comments but then that's why I choose the Connie.  The Concours will travel farther with less effort and abuse than the Z.  Either way, she is a heck of a machine.  :beerchug:
Dan
2004 ZRX
2006 KLR
2014 Concours

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 05:49:05 pm »

Congrats,

It feels heavy, nose heavy cornering but it is a heavy bike and I need to get used to that and I'll be adding a couple more psi to the tires and see how that feels.

I've done two things to give me the handling I prefer.
1 - I raised the front forks by 0.6 inches, lowered the front, which gave a more agile feel - nice.  No bottoming issues.  You have to have bar risers to get the up top clearance to do this, BTW; my bike came used with 2" risers.

2 - I run my front tire at 44 - 45 psi cold and rear at ~42, even though my tires list max sidewall pressure as 42.  No feeling of slip leaned to elimination of chicken strips...  YMMV
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Training Wheels
  • "SPORT" tourer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 01:17:50 am »
Updated review...Logged 410 miles today, 50° when we left this morning and warmed up to 75° I didn't need my winter gloves, I used my best vented summer gloves with the heat on the lowest setting AWESOME! My first experience with heated grips and it's a winner. Wind protection is amazing, mirrors are fantastic, no vibration great unobstructed view (no elbows seen ) as on some of my other bikes. Pulls like a freight train I actually enjoyed racing home on the Suncoast Parkway more than the two lane blacktop. This bike gobbles the miles and feels extremely surefooted at highway speeds. Now it's just fine tuning ergonomics for me. Again the seat absolutely sucks, kills my ride enjoyment. My tail bone went numb one hour into this 11 hour saddle time day, combined with sliding forward under braking is almost intolerable. I found a Corbin Canyon which looks fantastic but is worse than the stock seat in my opinion. My wrists hurt badly one hour into the ride and my legs are very cramped. I will add the lowered pegs and riser blocks for certain, that should be a start with the comfort. The seat guy doesn't want to touch the Corbin, he would rather re work the stock seat. So next option will be to choose between Seth Laam and Kawasaki Touring seat. Both seam to have very good reviews, wish there were more Connie's near me and I could put my butt on one. Other than pimping the comfort issues, a fantastic motorcycle with an awesome engine, which is even better in every way with Steve's flash. :great:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:58:45 am by Tundra »

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 08:10:26 am »
Updated review...Logged 410 miles today, 50° when we left this morning and warmed up to 75° I didn't need my winter gloves, I used my best vented summer gloves with the heat on the lowest setting AWESOME! My first experience with heated grips and it's a winner. Wind protection is amazing, mirrors are fantastic, no vibration great unobstructed view (no elbows seen ) as on some of my other bikes. Pulls like a freight train I actually enjoyed racing home on the Suncoast Parkway more than the two lane blacktop. This bike gobbles the miles and feels extremely surefooted at highway speeds. Now it's just fine tuning ergonomics for me. Again the seat absolutely sucks, kills my ride enjoyment. I found a Corbin Canyon which looks fantastic but is worse than the stock seat in my opinion. My wrists hurt badly one hour into the ride and my legs are very cramped. I will add the lowered pegs and riser blocks for certain, that should be a start with the comfort. The seat guy doesn't want to touch the Corbin, he would rather re work the stock seat. So next option will be to choose between Seth Laam and Kawasaki Touring seat. Both seam to have very good reviews, wish there were more Connie's near me and I could put my butt on one. Other than pimping the comfort issues, a fantastic motorcycle with an awesome engine, which is even better in every way with Steve's flash. :great:

I have a Laam seat and the Kawasaki touring seat, Laam seat is back at his shop for a slight adjustment. I hope it turns out to be comfy because I like the way it looks on the bike!
The touring seat has softer foam in it and I have ridden it 4-5 hundred miles with not much of a complaint, it does still lean me forward toward the tank but the material doesn’t cause you to slide forward under braking like the stock seat. If the Laam don’t work out I plan on selling both seats and buying a RDL seat!

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:49:10 am »
Getting the seat right is not easy to do. I have three now, Stock, Laam and Touring. When I go on a long ride I wear motoskiviz and bicycle shorts. I also have touring pegs. The pegs help a lot with shifting pressure points on your butt. So far the touring seat has worked best for me. Good luck.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Training Wheels
  • "SPORT" tourer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 11:34:57 am »
Thanks for your input guys!!
FTB530 please let me know how your Laam adjustments work out for you. What's your,weight, inseam? I'd be interested in your Laam or your Touring seat if you choose to go with the RDL. Please consider me "first dibs"

Thanks

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 02:15:32 pm »
 Choosing a seat is probably one of the toughest farkles to get right. Back when I had my c-10, I went through 4 seats before I found what worked.  In that case it was a Rick Mayer saddle. For my c-14, I lucked into a Seth Lamm, used for a great price. I have been told Seth learned saddle making from Rick Mayer. I believe it, because the shape and cut really is the same. it works for me. Someone else might hate it. It's not that one maker is "better" than the other, it's that each of US has our own needs and expectations. Just because I'm happy with my Laam doesn't mean everyone else would be.

So good luck on the seat journey Tundra, I'd lend you my Laam, but it's already up at the new shop. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 03:52:38 pm »
Getting the seat right is not easy to do. I have three now, Stock, Laam and Touring. When I go on a long ride I wear motoskiviz and bicycle shorts. I also have touring pegs. The pegs help a lot with shifting pressure points on your butt. So far the touring seat has worked best for me. Good luck.

I rode about 500 miles on my Laam wearing Moto skeevies and it was very comfy, only thing I didn’t  like walking around off the bike with a load in my pants!
When I took my seat back to  Laam for an adjustment I asked him to cut the skeevies pad and mold it under the cover, he wasn’t to thrilled about doing and advised me not to do it! But if I don’t like the seat when I get it back I will have another upholsterer do just that ,Laam Skeevie seat.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 03:55:00 pm »
Thanks for your input guys!!
FTB530 please let me know how your Laam adjustments work out for you. What's your,weight, inseam? I'd be interested in your Laam or your Touring seat if you choose to go with the RDL. Please consider me "first dibs"

Thanks
Tundra I am about 210lbs with 32 inseam!
Not sure how long until I will get to test the Laam seat , he has had it for a month and I haven’t heard from him and I haven’t called either ,rain here for the next several,days so no riding for me ,but I will let you know if I end up selling either or both seats!

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Training Wheels
  • "SPORT" tourer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 08:37:11 pm »
Much appreciated :great:

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Training Wheels
  • "SPORT" tourer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 09:21:32 pm »
Choosing a seat is probably one of the toughest farkles to get right. Back when I had my c-10, I went through 4 seats before I found what worked.  In that case it was a Rick Mayer saddle. For my c-14, I lucked into a Seth Lamm, used for a great price. I have been told Seth learned saddle making from Rick Mayer. I believe it, because the shape and cut really is the same. it works for me. Someone else might hate it. It's not that one maker is "better" than the other, it's that each of US has our own needs and expectations. Just because I'm happy with my Laam doesn't mean everyone else would be.

So good luck on the seat journey Tundra, I'd lend you my Laam, but it's already up at the new shop. Steve

I was going to try to reach you and stop by say hello, although this turned into a 11 plus hour day of saddle time and I really needed to beat feet home. I hope the moving process is going as well as can be expected. Offer still stands, although next weekend I'm taking care of my parents.

Offline Rexter

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 09:51:25 pm »
I went stock, saddleman, russell, and settled into a Corbin. I bought the bike with lowered pegs, and that caused the seats to press hard on the back of my thighs. My knees sure liked it. I put the stock pegs back on, and the knees are ok with it. I sold the pegs, but still have some lowering brackets that were on the stock pegs.

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 12:25:49 am »
I am with you on the ergonomics of this bike being a challenge. I could ride my K16GT or RT for 1,000 miles with absolutely no ergonomic issues. So far and even with the modifications I have made, I can barely do 400.

Next modifications I'll try will be Russel and Horizon ST. Other than that, my only gripe is the suspension being a bit easily overwhelmed in tight canyon roads with rough pavement. Oh, and the pretty sub-par lighting.

The bike has good bones, it has just been an ongoing process of spending money to get it where I want it.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 12:14:22 pm »
I am with you on the ergonomics of this bike being a challenge. I could ride my K16GT or RT for 1,000 miles with absolutely no ergonomic issues. So far and even with the modifications I have made, I can barely do 400.

Next modifications I'll try will be Russel and Horizon ST. Other than that, my only gripe is the suspension being a bit easily overwhelmed in tight canyon roads with rough pavement. Oh, and the pretty sub-par lighting.

The bike has good bones, it has just been an ongoing process of spending money to get it where I want it.

You're certainly right about the suspension. I did the traxxion front end and penske shock rear, it transformed the bike. It goes over rough pavement like it doesn't exist. 

Oh, and if you do some LED headlights you won't have any more lighting issues. Steve
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:36:49 pm by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 12:49:47 pm »

You're certainly right about the suspension. I did the traxxion front end and penske shock rear, it transformed the bike. It goes over rough pavement like it doesn't exist. 

Oh, and if you do some LED headlights you won't have any more lighting issues. Steve

That's what I have read. If I choose to stick wit this bike, that's what I will end up doing. It's just so disheartening that I have to burn a hole in my pocket and blow through the value proposition of this bike to get it hopefully to an acceptable level.   

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 12:55:44 pm »
Maybe the "value proposition" is based on the shortcomings of the bike? In other words, if the bike came with stellar suspension, do you think a used '12 would be 6500.00 or more like 9000.00? Something to consider. Steve

Offline Fork

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10691
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 02:42:16 pm »

I suppose it depends how you spell "value". I've been through a dozen of so bikes in my years of riding, several Yamaha Venture Royale's, multiple BMW R1200RT's, too many GoldWings to count and then in 2015 bought my current 2012 C14 as a hold over bike. I can't recall ever being satisfied with a single one of those bike's as the came out of the box, and I spent well over $3,000 in changes to the C14 before I even rode it. I added Cruise control, GPS, XM Radio and several seats and windscreens, to say nothing of several trips to Steve's magic,  but I can say that the C14 is by far the best bargain of any of the bikes. Of all the bikes I have owned prior to the C14, it is by far the best bargain even after making the changes I made. When it comes to performance and agility only the BMW even came close to similar performance and of course when it comes to raw power and speed the C14 outclassed all the others. All the other bikes were by far more expensive to acquire and in the case of the BMW the maintenance costs were far greater. When it comes to bikes the saying "different strokes for different folks" certainly applies but I would never go back to anything else and consider the cost of acquisition after modifications on the C14 to be at least $10,000 less than any of the others. Still looks like a bargain to me.

Fork

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:20 pm »

I suppose it depends how you spell "value". I've been through a dozen of so bikes in my years of riding, several Yamaha Venture Royale's, multiple BMW R1200RT's, too many GoldWings to count and then in 2015 bought my current 2012 C14 as a hold over bike. I can't recall ever being satisfied with a single one of those bike's as the came out of the box, and I spent well over $3,000 in changes to the C14 before I even rode it. I added Cruise control, GPS, XM Radio and several seats and windscreens, to say nothing of several trips to Steve's magic,  but I can say that the C14 is by far the best bargain of any of the bikes. Of all the bikes I have owned prior to the C14, it is by far the best bargain even after making the changes I made. When it comes to performance and agility only the BMW even came close to similar performance and of course when it comes to raw power and speed the C14 outclassed all the others. All the other bikes were by far more expensive to acquire and in the case of the BMW the maintenance costs were far greater. When it comes to bikes the saying "different strokes for different folks" certainly applies but I would never go back to anything else and consider the cost of acquisition after modifications on the C14 to be at least $10,000 less than any of the others. Still looks like a bargain to me.

Fork

All totally subjective to the buyer / owner and what they choose to do to get the C14 where they need it. Was not intended to be a universal statement, but specific more to me.

I only made the statement relative to the OP's observation that he was not happy with the ergos, as am I, and even after about $750 invested in seat, risers, peg lowering, I still find myself potentially looking at another $700 to hopefully get it to work better for me. Whereas other bikes I have owned, have really been as easy as just putting a better seat on it.

On top of that, I have come to the point where I have identified that the suspension needs to upgraded, which is another $2K+ I'll need to invest, so to me the value proposition I thought the C14 had has been eroded pretty substantially. That's not a complaint, just an observation on my part. I could have easily been into a new FJR 1300ES, or very low mileage used bikes with the upgraded features. I'm thinking very hard about the wisdom of spending another $2K on this bike, or simply moving on at some point in the near future.

So again, the intent was to illuminate to the OP the importance of being really clear on best mods for him so he's not wasting resources.