Author Topic: New Windshield mounting holes  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Adrexco

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum (M)
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New Windshield mounting holes
« on: October 24, 2013, 01:29:36 am »
I was looking at my windshield this morning wishing it was a little taller, and thought why not add additional mounting holes so it can be moved up higher. Has anyone tried this yet? Looks like you can get an extra 1.5" height by doing so.

Any feedback on this idea?

Thanks!

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New Windshield mounting holes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:35:46 am »
Why not just buy a taller shield?  ???

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline fartymarty

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9712
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 03:17:19 am »
Why not just buy a taller shield?  ???

Shallower pockets than you are used to maybe??  Sorry ZG, I couldn't resist. We pick on those we envy. Relentlessly sometimes.  >:D  ;)

..anyway...here is a link on drill sharpening for plastic Adrexco, I hope it's helpful to you. Let us know how it goes. I understand that the stock wind screen isn't acrylic, it's polycarbonate (IIRC) but the drill grind shown still worked on mine when I cut a CalSci hole in it and when I installed a MRA spoiler.

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 07:58:43 am »
Location of all 6 holes will be critical and you only get one chance.  With a sheet of heavy stock paper, make a template of all 6 holes then slide the template down and anchor it. Good luck.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 09:31:00 am »
I was looking at my windshield this morning wishing it was a little taller, and thought why not add additional mounting holes so it can be moved up higher. Has anyone tried this yet? Looks like you can get an extra 1.5" height by doing so.

Any feedback on this idea?

Thanks!

There is a button on the left hand controls that you can push and the windshield will go up the 1.5 inches you desire...lol. Sorry.

Have you looked for windscreens on Craigslist? I picked up a spare 2009 screen last year for $20, and my friend just picked up a spare 2010 C-14 screen online for free...just had to pick it up. Just thinking...be nice to not have to drill holes in your only screen.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. The potential gain of 1.5" isn't enough to warrant Swiss Cheesing my screen. I ride with my screen all the way down 99% of the time anyway. Different strokes for different folks.

YMMV.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Jim

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:48:07 pm »
The only problem I see with this is what will it look like when it's all the way down?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 03:03:30 pm »
I have a 09. Them 09's come with a rather small windshield. With the windshield all the way up, the bugs were hitting the face shield right at eye level.  I got to thinking......(bad thing, I know) if I got the windshield from the 10 and later, 4 inches taller you know, Then with the shield up, it should move the bugs up and over my helmet eliminating bug splat on the face shield.

I went to an event at the now closed and gone most local dealer who were having a parts sale. I drew a ticket for 20% off. (I was hoping for 50%) and ordered a Kawasaki tall shield.

I put the tall shield on and to my disappointment, it only moved the bug splat to eye brow level on the face shield.

I like the tall shield better because it offers better wind protection.

So Bob, making new holes may not achieve your desired results.
Regards, TimR
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:47 am »
It's not designed to be mounted higher. There may be some problems with the leverage due to wind at high speed. Possible damage to the mount? I would stick to the design.

Offline Adrexco

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum (M)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 01:55:36 am »
Thanks all for the feedback so far!

Buying a second windshield is certainly an option. I have been researching the different options.

From that research, I was taking basic measurements of the stock windshield for comparison, when I realized that it looks possible to gain height with lowered mounting holes.

Lowering the mounting will not put any additional stress on the drive mechanism then a taller aftermarket shield. So I don't think it will damage the sliders any more the a XL tall aftermarket version.

Drilling Polycarbonate and or Acrylic is not difficult. I do have quite a lot of experience machining these materials.

I am surprised that with all the modification that have been done, this has not yet been attempted.

I'm not sure if I will do this yet, but I will further investigate what lift and hole locations are possible.

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 10:02:17 am »
Check this out instead. The gen 2 shields will fit gen 1 bikes and those shields are taller. 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15426.0

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15426.msg189216#msg189216
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline fartymarty

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9712
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 03:48:27 pm »
Check this out instead. The gen 2 shields will fit gen 1 bikes and those shields are taller. 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15426.0

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15426.msg189216#msg189216

Good links Conrad. Thanks!

In this case his bike is a '12 gen II model. (info from a different thread)

I think it's a good idea for testing to see if a taller wind screen will help before purchase, but most wouldn't do it or think of it because of appearance reasons. Still, even if you lower it back to  the original mounting holes, the extra unused mounting holes might relieve back pressure and you'll have a better idea of what a taller screen will do for you without the $$$ expenditure.  If the extra holes seem unsightly, you may be able to plug them with plastic black furniture plugs that many home improvement stores have in the specialty hardware drawers.

Offline Bob

• Tricycle
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 03:27:59 am »
Works fine; had done long ago, no problems, just two extra holes to show & I have Kawa's higher screen w/ shorter 2008 as spare.  I'm 6'3" and could use just one more inch but wind management is much improved.   

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 04:51:45 pm »
Have a look at this on the other forum. Selling gen 2 taller shields at a great price.

www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15426.0

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 12:16:41 pm »
Have a look at this on the other forum. Selling gen 2 taller and gen 1 shields at a great price.

www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15426.0

FIFY

If anyone wants one of the above shields you had better get on it before they're all gone.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:41:58 am by Conrad »
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...