Author Topic: no headlight and turnsignals are on steady?  (Read 364 times)

Offline jdanruby

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12456
  • Membership Level: Active
no headlight and turnsignals are on steady?
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:04:16 pm »
Hey all, thanks in advance for any help you can give, I am working on a friends 09", first off he has had the bike out for a couple of short rides recently with no problems and the bike starts and runs fine, no codes using the "key-on-and-hold-the-two-button method", he has had the battery load tested and it was good, the battery connections are good...

Now for the interesting part, the headlights stopped working but the high-beam indicating light is on no matter if you select high or low,,, all of the turn signals are also on steady,,, when I turn off the key it cycles as if I am turning the key on and off approx 9 times???   there is a buzzing sound coming from the front key or instrument area that sounds like a relay "chattering",,,  if I turn on the turn signal it flashes fast, but the hazards flash normally...       

I am guessing "hoping" that we have a bad connection but before I start removing bodywork I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has experienced this??   

Thanks; Jeff...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: no headlight and turnsignals are on steady?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:30:01 pm »
The telltale "highbeam indicator" thing is surely a water in the left switch pod thing... I've had it occurr numerous times during torrential rainfall rides...  I never wash my bike, but assume it also occurrs if water is sprayed directly on the control pod from a hose...
Open it up, blow it out with compressed air, or dry it with a hair dryer.. spritz some WD40 in there while open, for a good measure... I've also added a small amount of normal "grease" applied to the open areas of the switch and buttons,to seal them somewhat,  to further reduce the amount of water that can enter the pod... this does help greatly for the issue I experienced,  as for the comment of the buzzing sound... I suspect the same issue, that someone blasted this all with high pressure water, aimed in those areas, which invaded them also... things owners do, but don't think as detrimental, or go unmentioned or even deniead, make it difficult for others such as yourself, to rectify easily, causing some grief on finding the cause... i say this as im sympathetic for you, and I can only suggest you look at those areas, and ask some questions of the owner, who may confess.. :rotflmao:
As for "battery connections are good", if you did not remove them, scrub them, and reattach them, yourself, then its only an assumption, .. if you did do that, then mark it down as a non issue.

The signal issues? Same thing, pull each relay, wipe down, and replug, along with both the high beam relay, and the low beam relay, there are individual relays...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:36:33 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 & counting!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:01:24 pm »
I've ridden my bike many thousand miles in the rain & wash it often. Rode 9 hours in the rain a week ago, never caused that problem. The switches are made to get wet. I don't really agree.

However I have had nearly the identical problem with my 08 & I know of one 09 with the same problem. My headlights went out, high beam indicator stayed on & maybe the signal indicators I can't remember. All 4 signals burned steady but dim & blinked fast. I also had the same buzzing sound, I swapped all the relays from a friends bike. No change.  I don't remember about the key cycling part, it's been a few years.

What I found after 4 days of looking was a corroded ground block in the harness. There are 11 of these blocks best I remember. The one that caused me problems was at the air filter access. You can feel the square lumps in harness when you run you fingers along it.

I just cut the block out, soldered the wires together put a wire nut on it & taped it up good. Approx. 3 - 4 years & at least 75,000 miles no more problems.

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:50:51 am »
Just Cliff, that was a good find. Electrical gremlins can be the worst little buggers to figure out.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline jdanruby

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12456
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 01:24:22 pm »
Hey guys thanks again for all of the help,,    "just Cliff" you headed me in the right direction, when I tested the ground wire at the relays I had approx 7 volts to ground? should be next to zero? so I started to dig into the wire loom, I was surprised find that Kawi had so many spliced connection in the loom?? anyway, I ended up splicing the relay ground to one of the "spare" grounds and it is good to go........     

Thanks again; Jeff....

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 & counting!
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »
Hey guys thanks again for all of the help,,    "just Cliff" you headed me in the right direction, when I tested the ground wire at the relays I had approx 7 volts to ground? should be next to zero? so I started to dig into the wire loom, I was surprised find that Kawi had so many spliced connection in the loom?? anyway, I ended up splicing the relay ground to one of the "spare" grounds and it is good to go........     

Thanks again; Jeff....

:great: