Author Topic: actual shim size vs measured shim size / anyone to swap shims?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Ethan

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
I am currently in the middle of my valve clearance adjustment process. It was really interesting that I came across with only two different shim sizes among all 16 valves. Shims marked 30 and 33. The manual notes the sizes for these shims as 30 = 2.300 mm , 33 = 2.325. However, my measurements with the micrometer (measured all of them) was showing shims having 30 = 2.315 mm ( 0.09116 inches) and 33 = 2.341 mm (0.09217 inches). Is this discrepancy usual and acceptable? Note: I took the measurements with a brand new micrometer measuring 0.0001")

My other question is; I will be able to complete the job 2 weeks later (covered everything and locked in the garage) and was wondering if anyone would like to swap shims? I need 7 of number 28 shims and 2 of number 25.
I have 2 of number 30 shims and 8 of number 33 shims to swap.

Offline Scott Bechler

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9693
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: actual shim size vs measured shim size / anyone to swap shims?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:24:55 pm »
Considering that both measurements were off by approximately the same amount (.00059 & .00062") I'd say it's the mic. Even if the mic is correct, less than a thou difference won't make a bit of difference on the adjustment.

Scott

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:23:38 pm »
If the micrometer zeros properly (this can and should be checked, carefully, on new micrometers) the shims are off if they and the mic anvils are both clean and the measurement is done properly.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline Ethan

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:49:00 am »
This is a new micrometer and I will try to zero it and check. I have 9 existing 33s measuring exactly 0.09217 and their size on the manual is given as  0.09154. Things change if I put these numbers differently to the excel calculator. The only solution would be measuring the new shims before purchasing I guess. Weird situation.

Offline Finesse

• Bicycle
  • With a one way ticket to the land of truth
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 02:27:42 am »
You typically won't find them in stock locally. I would calculate the nearest size available to what you need and order it. The conversion between inches and metric does take time and creates problems for me. When rechecking after you are done, I would definitely use metric feeler gauges, and you will sometimes have to stack them, no body sells a complete set for the range we need. Here is a list of the available shims and sizes for Honda shims. I use them in my Kawa and in my Yamahas too, as they are cheaper and available in all sizes.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435765

Offline Ethan

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:19:58 am »
I am so ashamed to tell you guys that I didn't know how to correctly read a 0.0001" micrometer until 5 minutes ago. Please ignore this thread since the shims and my micrometer are accurate. I was the one being stupid enough to add the numbers on the thimble behind the analog indicator.
So, if anyone doesn't know how to read a mic correctly, please learn how to read it before you waste your precious 2 days looking for a "more accurate tool".  :-[

Offline Nick

• Bicycle
    • Super X Owners
  • COG#: 8891
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 02:50:15 am »
Ethan, glad to see you are doing your valves. After you get it back together, we need to get a ride scheduled.
Iron Butt Assn - Saddle Sore 1000, Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles/22 hrs) and 50CC (Coast to Coast-2481 miles/46 hrs)

Offline Ethan

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 02:52:46 am »
Ethan, glad to see you are doing your valves. After you get it back together, we need to get a ride scheduled.

Yeah, most of the valves were off spec (tight) so this was a good call. We definitely schedule a ride. I miss my connie more when she is not running  :motonoises:

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 12:14:06 pm »
Here is my guess.

The numbers on those shims are VERY hard to read and sometimes part of them gets faded or rubbed off. I found several times when I was trying to read them, it was hard to tell an 8 from a 5 from a 3 or a 0. Several times when I examined the shim stamp closer, I found it wasn't the number that I first thought it was.

I would bet that the shim you think is a 30 is really a 33 and part of the number is missing. Same thing with the other shim. I bet it is a 35 and not a 33.  Look at the number under magnification with a real bright light. The measurements you posted appear to be just about one shim size off, and this would explain it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:36:41 pm by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »
I am so ashamed to tell you guys that I didn't know how to correctly read a 0.0001" micrometer.........So, if anyone doesn't know how to read a mic correctly, please learn how to read it before you waste your precious 2 days looking for a "more accurate tool".  :-[

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

yes, it pays to know the function on the tool...
as for expensive tools, you can get a very affordable and accurate micrometer for under $25, good to .0001"  (actually with practice it's good to .00005", if you read beytween the lines on the thimble scale)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#2114A41
$23 and if you order it on a weekday before 10am, it will likely be in your mail box within 48 hours.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...