Author Topic: No slack in throttle  (Read 939 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
No slack in throttle
« on: July 21, 2018, 08:30:13 pm »
Many are familiar with somewhat jerky low speed throttle response C14 has.
Make sure throttle cables have absolutely no slack after adjusting.

Cheers...

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: No slack in throttle
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:27:21 pm »
Please no. You need to have some freeplay in the cables. It’s there for a reason. Just follow the manual on this one.

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 12:31:25 am »
Agree, zero slack works for mine as well...
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 02:47:23 am »
About 6 months ago there was a post on here by Steve SISF in  regards to this. I tried a search but couldn't find it. He and others suggested it for this bike so I adjusted all the slack out of mine as he recommended and it works great. All bikes I've owned in the past I had a small amount of slack but I'm liking this on mine now.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Not So Wild Turkey

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10559
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 08:20:55 pm »
Plus one here.  I'm now a no slack guy and am loving it.  So far if Steve  says it I do it.

Of course those that know me still consider me a slacker.
2012 Concours Arabian Red & 80 Suzuki GS1100E
2003 VTX1800R Black / 1979 Suzuki GS1000E / 1969 Norton Commando
Yamaha DT3 250 / Kawasaki 100 G4TR

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 03:51:03 am »
I adjusted my throttle just as in the thread, I had to give just a tad of the slack back as it made mine a little sticky but with much less slack than Kawasaki gave it. Taking most of the slack out helped a lot adding Steve's Mt Rider flash made the sloppy drivetrain feeling nonexistent.  Funny because I would have swore that feeling was caused from sloppy bevel gears, If the bike wasn't brand new I to thought it was broken.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Smitty

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 05:03:45 pm »
SISF post about adjusting the slack in the throttle cables:

I've been working on the question of driveline slack... why some folks report none and others are frought with it. To date there's been nothing concrete to point to, but I think I made a breakthrough today.

I set up my datalogger and went riding today, specifically working on shifts and on/ off response. I have something i'm working on, so this was a good time to experiment. After the ride, I evaluated the running datalog at 1/10th speed, and found that coming from a closed throttle, I could see the rpms rise and intake vacuum drop, indicating an opening throttle, but there was zero movement registered from the tps.

I've seen this before "back in the day" with toyota's. Basically the TPS is poorly adjusted, and doesn't respond for several degrees of throttle opening. This affects fueling, timing and secondary action... all the stuff that has to be spot on for best performance.

Now the right answer for this is to recalibrate the TPS on the bike... but nobody is going to do that without the proper equipment (kds).

If you think about it, throttle quality has long been connected to properly adjusted throttle cables. so I thought about for a bit, and decided to try REALLY tightening the pull cable. Not enough to bring the idle up, but close.

I has a very small bit of play already. Less than you'ld want even on carbs. I adjusted that out completely, and then tightened the adjustment barrel one more complete turn.

Wow, what a result that had. Even when I try to overthrottle I really can't. Just smooth shifts and smooth power. Understand my bike is already really smooth, so to have driveline lash issues I kind of have to jack around with the throttle to get it... but now I can't even do that.

So if you've read this far, please go do the adjustment as I outlined above and report your findings. We may have something here.

Steve

'08 Kawasaki Concours ABS; Decel Flashed by SiSF ("Gazelleda")
'09 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive ("Super Scoot") [sold]

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:25:02 pm »
   I've modified how I do my adjustments after more examination. Now I will take the slack out and stop there, or maybe tighten the adjusting barrel 1/4 turn max. I've never had any inadvertent / unexpected throttle opening, but safety must be considered. Also I find that if the cables are preloaded to much, you get a feeling of having applied to much throttle when coming back on after a shift. HTH, steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline None

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 10:29:13 am »
All I can say is "WOW" ! I've been thinking I didnt know how to shift my bike but after tightening cable it's a whole new bike!