Author Topic: Not your typical oil filter thread....  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Dave

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Not your typical oil filter thread....
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:53:11 am »
Last week I went to the auto store(well-known/nationwide not Mom n Pop store) to pick up an oil filter for my lawn tractor(16hp Kohler).  It ended up taking a WIX 51348 filter.  I then went to change the oil in my girlfriends Toyota 4Runner(4.0L V6), it takes a WIX 51348 filter.  Those that buy the WIX filter for the Concours know that it also takes a WIX 51348.

I'm assuming the filter is identical for all 3 engines since they are all using a WIX 51348?

If so, then I'm really curious why if I go to the same auto store and buy the WIX filter for the 4Runner it costs me $6.99 however if I go to the same store and buy the filter for the Concours it'll run me $13.99.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Not your typical oil filter thread....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:53:39 am »
Hi,
         Uh...I would not put a "Wix" on my C14?  :-X

YMMV! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:12:19 pm »
Hi,

YMMV! ;D

Really? Read this:

http://www.wixfilters.com/AboutUs.aspx?ct=auhi

Offline Goldenhornplayer

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12530
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:31:33 pm »
Hi,

YMMV! ;D

Well, I would! AFAIK, Wix filters are known to be good quality and highly recommended.
2014 C14 RED, EVO Flash
Also, '13 Honda F6B & '16 BMW S1000XR
COG Member 12530

Offline Dave

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:20:26 pm »
Hi,

YMMV! ;D

Uh, not where I wanted this thread to go....

Offline BlueZX10R

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11715
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:37:14 pm »
I would think they are the exact same filter.  I'm surprised that the same store would charge you a different price for different vehicles.  I'd say buy one of each next time, and compare them.  Or compare them at the counter before you buy.
-James
2013 Concours 14, 2007 ZX10R, 1981 CB750, 1977 TS250B

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:51:18 pm »
The Wix 51358 is listed by Wix as appropriate for the ZG1400/Concours 14:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=36412

But I'm sure a Wix 51358 is a Wix 51358 regardless of what vehicle it's installed on.  They just list the one with that model number, obviously.

I've not tried one but at $6.99 I'd probably try one.  Wix is a well known filter company and I see them all the time on trucks and other equipment.  It's likely that Wix makes filters for other companies to put their name on.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 02:40:33 pm »
Hi,
        Maybe I mixed up WIX with FRAM???? :-[

Saw this!

Note "Conclusions" write up at end of article! :o

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 02:52:56 pm »
That is what I was wondering, if you had wic and fram mixed up.  That came out long time ago and I think even Fram has improved.  I have run a few since then without issue.  Usually because ordering something else delayed my getting back on the road.  Still it is hard to know any filter is doing its job better or worse then another.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Dave

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 03:15:02 pm »
I would think they are the exact same filter.  I'm surprised that the same store would charge you a different price for different vehicles.  I'd say buy one of each next time, and compare them.  Or compare them at the counter before you buy.

I do know they are physically the same size in fact I just put the one I bought for the Toyota on the Kohler engine and everything fit.  It's more the principal of charging double the price if I say it's for a motorcycle instead of a car that I have an issue with.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 03:15:14 pm »
That is what I was wondering, if you had wic and fram mixed up.  That came out long time ago and I think even Fram has improved.  I have run a few since then without issue.  Usually because ordering something else delayed my getting back on the road.  Still it is hard to know any filter is doing its job better or worse then another.

Hi,
        I used FRAM for years on my trucks in the 80's and never saw a problem, but....

I've slowly come around to doing a little research and use the better parts on my vehicle, if I can afford it!

Sometimes these days we want better quality in something (non-Chinese!) and it just does not exist!!! :(

Offline BlueZX10R

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11715
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »
I do know they are physically the same size in fact I just put the one I bought for the Toyota on the Kohler engine and everything fit.  It's more the principal of charging double the price if I say it's for a motorcycle instead of a car that I have an issue with.

Well since you know they are the same thing now, you can just buy the one for the cheapest vehicle.

I think it would be fun to buy one for each vehicle, and then when the clerk rings them up, ask why they are a different price.  Make sure to ask for the manger to maximize the fun.
-James
2013 Concours 14, 2007 ZX10R, 1981 CB750, 1977 TS250B

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:44 pm »

Well since you know they are the same thing now, you can just buy the one for the cheapest vehicle.

I think it would be fun to buy one for each vehicle, and then when the clerk rings them up, ask why they are a different price.  Make sure to ask for the manger to maximize the fun.
That does sound like some fun, and something I would do.   :beerchug:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 10:11:40 pm »
I used Fram filters more or less the whole time I had my 2000 F-250, V-10. It used a quart of oil between changes when new and it used a quart of oil between changes when I got rid of it 15 years later @ 235,000+ miles. I changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles myself. I also used a K&N air filter for 200,000 of those miles (same one, btw). Changed the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Never had a problem with any of it. I DID have two spark plugs blow out but that was a Ford problem.

I liked the Fram because it had the "Tough Guard" anti-siphon back flow valve (so it said on the box...) and had a cool rubber cover on the end that was easy to grasp because it was up behind the header pipe -sort of.

Yes, I'm shallow..but in the end it seemed to make no difference.   :)

2014 C-14

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 02:16:00 am »
Reminds me of  a cartoon posted in a marine store. A customer goes up to the clerk at the hardware store and says "I'd like to buy this washer". The clerk says "That will be 10 cents". The customer says " It's for my boat." Then the clerk says " That will be 12 bucks."

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 10:38:21 am »
Dave,
I'm a little confused... you mean the same store charged you different $$ depending on whether it was for the bike or the SUV, or different stores charged you different, the motorcycle store more?
If it's different stores, then it's marketing: you expect to pay more for a motorcycle filter, and they will happily meet that expectation - LOL.
There may be more to it than that, the auto parts store buys more filters, so they will pay less.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 05:25:18 pm »
I use the Baldwin B1402 extended length oil filter on mine. About 7 bucks at Williams Oil filter in Tacoma WA. Amazon can't touch that price unfortunately. The B1400 is the one listed as fitting the ZX14 and C14. The 1402 is a little longer version. Oh, and Murphs oil filter protector fits on the B1402 no problem.

Descriptions:   Lube Spin-on
Contains:   Anti-Drainback Valve
14 PSID By-Pass Valve
Fits:   Dodge, Eagle, Ford, Honda, Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Plymouth Automotive
Replaces:   Chrysler MD135737; Ford F32Z-6731-A; Mazda JEYO-14-302; Nissan 15208-31U00
Thread:   M20 x 1.5
O.D.:   2 9/16 (65.1)
Length:   3 1/2 (88.9)
I. Gskt.:   [1] Included
Related To:   B1400 (Short Version)
B1431 (Long Version)
UPC:   791440012059
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »
I use the Baldwin B1402 extended length oil filter on mine. About 7 bucks at Williams Oil filter in Tacoma WA. Amazon can't touch that price unfortunately. The B1400 is the one listed as fitting the ZX14 and C14. The 1402 is a little longer version. Oh, and Murphs oil filter protector fits on the B1402 no problem.

14 PSID By-Pass Valve
Fits:   Dodge, Eagle, Ford, Honda, Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Plymouth Automotive
Replaces:   Chrysler MD135737; Ford F32Z-6731-A; Mazda JEYO-14-302; Nissan 15208-31U00
B1431 (Long Version)

Hi,
        Baldwin is a VERY nice filter!

Actually surprised you can get them that cheap!

It is what we use on the "smaller" Detroit Diesels we run, where spin on filters are called for! ;D

Offline Dave

• Training Wheels
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 11:27:57 pm »
Dave,
I'm a little confused... you mean the same store charged you different $$ depending on whether it was for the bike or the SUV, or different stores charged you different, the motorcycle store more?
If it's different stores, then it's marketing: you expect to pay more for a motorcycle filter, and they will happily meet that expectation - LOL.
There may be more to it than that, the auto parts store buys more filters, so they will pay less.
Yes, the same store.  I just never got two at the same time and it finally dawned on me that me I've been paying different prices.
I'm going to go in and get one for the Concours and one or the 4Runner at the same time and see what they say...this could be fun...

Offline IngolfStern

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 08:03:37 pm »

14 PSID By-Pass Valve
B1431 (Long Version)

on your bike?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 10:19:59 pm »
Dave,

Yes, the same store.  I just never got two at the same time and it finally dawned on me that me I've been paying different prices.
I'm going to go in and get one for the Concours and one or the 4Runner at the same time and see what they say...this could be fun...

I'm gonna have to try this tomorrow, when I go into Advance auto parts, ecause I still can't get my head around how the "price" is being arrived at when at the counter paying...

I can only assume it is because people today, walk in, and up to the counter, and ask some kid for a filter to fit "my 4 Runner" or "My ZG1400" motorcycle, and accept what the "kid ..." tosses on the counter and rings up...

I may be old, but Caveat Emptor, and Semper Fi, both are something I cannot dissuade...

I walk in, go to the oil filters, pick up the book or books there, look for the number, and pick it up and walk to the counter.. it is a freaking oil filter, man are people that simple that they cannot look up a filter in a book, and buy it? Without asking someone to look on their computer screen and give you 17 different choices and prices.....?

What is this world coming to....?
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :truce: :-[ :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

Semper Fi kids...don't buy land in florida, or don't buy a bridge.... just saying.....

But, ShamWow is always a good deal... :)) :))

In closing, here, have fun with this list.....

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/51358
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:53:09 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 12:48:54 am »
OK Dave, I got it...
Did yo uhappen to keep the receipt for the last Concours filter purchase?
Buy three 4Runner filters, take one back with the Connie receipt, and keep the other two.
Clearly seems unethical... yes sir, I have many bags of King Arthur flour, will you be using it to making bread for $2.50 a bag, or to make German Chocolate Cake, for $6.75 a bag?

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 11:07:01 am »

14 PSID By-Pass Valve
B1431 (Long Version)

on your bike?

Yes and the ZX14 for 11 years now.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 02:12:57 pm »
I would question the manager too.
Hopefully he doesn't raise the price on the Lawn Tractor model..

I also use longer filters on mine.
Not sure which brand I currently have on it.
Never heard of a Baldwin?

I like the K&N because of the hex at the end.
Makes it easier to remove.
But, I haven't found a longer K&N {in stock} to fit the C-14.
Does anyone happen to know a longer K&N part number?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 04:48:18 pm »
I have been running Fram Tough Guard oil filters for years on my bike with zero issues. If they were as bad as some complain they would have been out of business years ago. I also run Royal Purple synthetic motor oil in my bike. I had a guy a few years ago tell me he ran RP in his Chevy truck and the engine blew up. Guess what? his blown engine had nothing to do with the RP synthetic oil. There are lots of good oil filters out there.       
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!