Author Topic: Of Mice and Motorcycles  (Read 1395 times)

Offline klrider

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1887
  • Membership Level: Active
Of Mice and Motorcycles
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:55:00 pm »
This tip from Foster Mooney, Chisago City, MN, in the August 2009 issue of "Fur-Fish-Game":    "To keep mice out of gear during the off season, pack it away with a sheet of the fabric softener that goes in a clother dryer. I put a sheet under the hood when I park my snowmobile each spring. It even keeps my barn's feed room rodent-free. They can't stand the smell."    FWIW. I'm gonna try it.       ;)    Pat  COG 1887   IBA 5830  NRA LIFE  VSSA LIFE  Assorted bikes own me.
Pat  COG 1887 
IBA 5830  AMA LIFE  NRA LIFE  VSSA LIFE VCDL NTA FTA VTA, DRZ-400SM K9, YAMMIE KODIAK

Offline Juscruizn

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
Of Mice and Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »
Interesting!    

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
Of Mice and Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:33:00 pm »
Another item that repels mice is mothballs. I prefer a three pronged approach myself, I use traps baited with peanut butter, rat/mice poison in concealed locations, and moth balls or dryer sheets in the bike in a couple spots.  
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Gerry B

• Moped
  • Condoms prevent minivans!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 6037
Of Mice and Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:17:00 pm »
Yeah Fred but who has time to trap all those male moths?  ;)      Aging is scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker!
Gerry Barnett 
Enfield, CT 
COG 6037

Offline C14 Jeff

• Tricycle
Of Mice and Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:20:00 pm »
We have three cats to catch mice. Since we live in the country, even with three cats, we need to set traps in the Spring.  

Offline Boburns

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Of Mice and Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:10:00 am »
I have a Coleman tent trailer that gets put up or the winter. I used the fabric softener and rat poison when I closed it up for winter. When I opened it up, there was all kinds of evidence of rodents getting inside the trailer, not the least which was holes chewed into the tenting, and toilet paper shredded for nesting.  
Bob "Flylooper" Burns  COG #5887  Former Editor, The Concourier  E Clampus Vitus, YB#1; '04 FJR 1300

millerized

Of Mice and Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:27:00 am »
We have three cats to catch mice. Since we live in the country, even with three cats, we need to set traps in the Spring.
   I have 17 now.  10 inside, 7 outside.  I still have mice in the house.  I think the outside ones play with them until they're tired, then chase them inside, and the inside ones play with them until they get bored, and send them back outside.    I can't tell you the number of tunnels in the insulation I've found over the years.  Looks like I'm running a mouse rescue mission.  http://millerized.com/pegs  I'll be in the garage  COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g  

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Of Mice and Motorcycles
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:43:00 pm »
you must have them thar W-By-God-Va kittys there Jim...  I have had a bunch of feral cats living in the SkUnKwErKz for the last couple years (along with Feral chickens... and have no problems with rodenta...and when one does make it inside "MY Cat"(and Dona makes no bones about reminding me it's MY cat) just chews the legs offa them, and plays hockey with them till I toss the crawler out for the other Zombie's to consume...now if I could just get the cats to chase them damned possums offa my porch I wouldn't have to waste shells on them....  oh, at least you don't have a ROOSTER that eats chicken flavored cat food on your porch every morning "greeting you"....argggggggggg      now back to the critter thang, never had any luck with the dryer sheets, all flavors...nope.  Moth balls (when you get them..tweezers and microscope?)(joke) don't do it either...and if they sit on the plastic anywheres in the bike, will melt the plastic (wireing harness included....) so if you try this put them in tin foil...  best bet is multiple poisen rodent traps strategically located around the garage, out of reach of pets. But remember, any poisened animal will seek water outdoors, and may become consumed by any other animal (pets included) with sad result...  

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...