Author Topic: oil quantity 2015 C14  (Read 831 times)

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
oil quantity 2015 C14
« on: October 26, 2018, 09:43:17 am »
hello, I'm getting all sorts of different oil amounts. how much oil should i put in this bike if I'm doing the filter as well. thanks jim

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: oil quantity 2015 C14
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:57:47 am »
Jim, I find that 4 qts plus 5-7 oz's get my '10 up to the full line with a new filter.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:07:07 am »
I put 4.7 quarts in mine since new.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 11:09:43 am »
Does anybody read or own an owner's manual these days???  :-[

I know MY bike came with one.  Following the Manufacturer's recommendations (car or bike) within the guidelines of the owner's manual will save you ALL kinds of headaches in the long run.

And just for the record, the owner's manual will also tell you how many miles between oil changes.... :D

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:15:50 pm »
^^^^^^^  +10

Reading the manual is the first thing I do when I get a new vehicle, of any type.  Just RTFM.

Props to the OP though, for coming to the next-best info source...

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 12:40:06 pm »
Does anybody read or own an owner's manual these days???  :-[

I know MY bike came with one.  Following the Manufacturer's recommendations (car or bike) within the guidelines of the owner's manual will save you ALL kinds of headaches in the long run.

And just for the record, the owner's manual will also tell you how many miles between oil changes.... :D

gr

....and you can download a free one and keep in on your phone from the Kawasaki website in case you don't want to lug around the 8 oz. paper copy in a bag....  :motonoises:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 09:01:34 pm »
from prior posts by o/p, he isn't apreciating the silly stuff sometimes... so lets help him along, eh?
being a new owner and not knowing the bike I figured i`d reach out to the experts. I really don't get this weird sarcasm. Jim

download the users manual... it's all in there.... and I'll even give you the link.... doh.

https://www.kawasaki.com/ServiceManuals/Manual/ZG1400EFFL

that was easy....
 :-X
personally, I remove filter and oil, install new filter, and pour in 4 quarts, and 20 ounces, and cap it... done.

good luck on getting that filter off tho, if it's the one from the factory... it's torqued on to like 13 ft/lbs, and it will be a beast to remove... if the filter wrench you use spins aand strips, STOP.... do not continue till you get a set of these...

filter pliers, from Advance auto, or any parts store...
any other wrenches are a waste of money, I've ruined a dozen doing C14 filters for people...
do not torque the new one like that, tighten it by hand, one hand, till it wont turn, then give it a half to 3/4 more with a wrench... and call it tight....tighten it using a normal filter wrench/cup wrench... that's fine.

that should preclude the other questions I know are coming, like how to set the clock, and what the warning lights mean, and even tire pressures and such...
just don't ask what tires are recommended, or what BRAND of oil... because it will make your head spin again.
best of luck, ride safe.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:28:23 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 09:50:37 pm »
I use this one. 3/8 drive and a short extension. I put a small strip of rubber on the inside so it gets a good grip on a filter body.

Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 10:06:25 pm »
I use this one. 3/8 drive and a short extension. I put a small strip of rubber on the inside so it gets a good grip on a filter body.

I'm hearing ya, and I toasted one of those also once, along with another strap wrench like it with plier handles, and 4 cup wrenches, and an expensive 'aluminum flat specialty end wrench, and ended up jambing a cup wrench on, and shooting a Tek screw thru it into the filter, to remove it when it was tightened to 13 ft/lbs...the strap wrenches end up crushing the canister, smaller and smaller each time you add more rubber..

It was my own fault tho, I did it when I was Tech Editor, and found that torque value wayy to high, and set out to "test it"... which resulted in the failures about six months later when i tried to remove it again... never repeated that test...

it cost me $50 in wrecked wrenches for that 'experiment', so I share that as a caution...

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:24:43 am »
 Mine has worked years and years on bikes and cars. Sorry you had different experiences.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 06:35:40 pm »
I have never had issues removing mine, using a oil filter socket. Though I sometimes simply use the, spin on until gasket touches, then tighten 3/4 turn, I also have torqued it according to the manual, and it always comes off easily. A torque wrench designed for that range is essential though, or it will be over-torqued and hard to remove.

As for the old strap type oil wrenches, I stopped using though about 36 years ago.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 07:48:28 pm »
I have to note once again, I'm not saying any wrench type including a good strap wrench, isn't fine for normal filter changes, It's just been historically noted many times, that as delivered, the filters were all excessively tightened from the factory, and the torque spec in the book of 13 ft/lbs, is way out of line. During my first filter removal back in '07, I had a really hard time, and when I installed it like normal, never had a problem, but the experiment I made, using the 13 ft/lb figure, showed me that at that torque, the gasket is completely compressed, and the filter canister's metal "rim", was even tightened to the point it marred the face of the flange... and after a few months, the next attempt to remove it is when I trashed all those wrenches...
I did send a couple emails back and forth with the "Kaw Tech dudes" I was in contact with back then, as Tech Editor, and they responded with "we will look into it, and advise a revision to the factory manual for the next print revision".
 :-\

I guess it never went any further...  >:( ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :-[

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 08:22:45 pm »
Like Phil I use a filter socket I got at Walmart and have not had a problem including the factory installed filter removed 10 years ago. Had I not bought a filter socket I probably would have stuck a screwdriver though it too.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 11:18:50 pm »
I use a filter socket. It works great!

I always torque the oem filter and I've noticed that the o-ring compression is controlled by that torque. The filter housing feels like it bottoms out right at 13ft/lbs. Anything less feels like the 0-ring isn't compressed sufficiently.

13ft/lbs is not a lot of torque.

Next oil change, remove the filter and remove that o-ring. It's not flat, at all.

The K&N kn303 filter torques the same also, bottoms out right at the 13ft/lbs. It has 17mm hex that is convenient. Matches the drain plug.
"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Mike Tyson

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 11:56:02 am »
Just exactly HOW are you guys measuring the TQ that is applied to a Filter???

Are you somehow managing to fit a proper torque wrench on to that special filter wrench, and measuring it THAT way?? 

I find it hard to believe anybody is going to this extra length to physically attain the torque ratio on such an item.
I certainly have never done so, and don't see how it's possible to get one under the bike to perform such a measurement.

Do share.   :beerchug:

gr

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 06:52:41 pm »
I'm done...
go ahead and Torque 'em up to 13 ft/lbs....  ::) ::)

go search about Oil filters, and see how many times this has actually popped up...
It doesn't apply to people that bought bikes used, as likely someone else dealt with the original filter... or the people that bought newer model bikes... which I assume they backed off on that torque spec from the factory, but for the first 6-7 years of production, they were all over tight from the factory... and even today, people are having issues... like within the last 2 weeks or so.... so the new bikes till have the issue...

http://forum.cog-online.org/cog-web-forum-discussions/new-member-thanks-to-the-forum-contributors/msg651528/#msg651528

older posts...

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/oil-filter-wrench/msg281210/#msg281210

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/dang-that-new-stock-oil-filter-was-tight/msg227759/#msg227759

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/why-can't-i-get-my-oem-oil-filter-off/msg193012/#msg193012

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 10:02:07 pm »

Are you somehow managing to fit a proper torque wrench on to that special filter wrench, and measuring it THAT way?? 

It's quite easy!
Mike Tyson

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 11:39:16 am »

It's quite easy!

Ok, asked, and Answered.  :great:

However - I'm going to respectfully be disrespectful to your process, as I have never used a one of those end-cap filter tools that didn't "slip off" the end of the filter when trying to apply any relative amount of tq. to it -- be it 13 ft./lbs mol.  :-[

You're correct: 13 ft.lbs is really nothing, but in reality, hand tight on these things is MORE than tight enough, as the heat from the engine seems to seal them up more than good enough to keep from leaking.

I have YET to not destroy a filter (oem or otherwise) to remove it from the bike after a few thousand miles of use.  And yes, I have tried both the end cap removal tool, and I now have the "Jaws of Death" as pictured above!  :-\  And sometimes even the JOD don't quite work without some serious coaxing, swearing, and filter mutilation.
My next stop is a K+N filter with the Nut welded on the filter housing.

Each his own, I guess!

gr

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 02:54:49 pm »
Ha.

K&N

I have used these for 10 years now. Just not worth it to me not to. Had an extra from one of the cars I sold that cross referenced to the Kaw so I thought I would use it rather than throw it out. Stupid thought. Back to the K & N.

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 08:01:23 pm »
gr mob

This is all of the filters I've changed since APR 2017 on my new 2016 C14.
Never had an issue with any of them. Not one issue! 25k miles since new.
Never had an issue with any from my 2008 C14. Not one issue! 40k miles since new.
Same wrench, removed them while they were still hot.
I'm doing it correctly, even per Kaw spec's..
Why does my "process" work, time after time, dozens of filters, with a filter socket, and your process does not?
Why?

Mike Tyson

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 09:05:35 pm »
gr mob

This is all of the filters I've changed since APR 2017 on my new 2016 C14.
Never had an issue with any of them. Not one issue! 25k miles since new.
Never had an issue with any from my 2008 C14. Not one issue! 40k miles since new.
Same wrench, removed them while they were still hot.
I'm doing it correctly, even per Kaw spec's..
Why does my "process" work, time after time, dozens of filters, with a filter socket, and your process does not?
Why?

I honestly cannot say why...
all I can do is relate my experiences with them torqued at 13 ft/lbs, and the results I had... and many other people have, and had, on both this site, and on the ZG site...
there have been many...

I found my pictures, and the search I did on the ZG site popped up the numerous instances also...
I guess I had crappy wrenches... a lot of them....

In lieu of "pounding a screwdriver thru the filter, and ripping it in half" (which i have done in the past, on other machines..), my final solution was better...
note the "secret solution" shooting a self drilling screw thru the cup, into the filter....
that worked.... ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:11:13 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 11:36:03 pm »
FWIW, every filter I have taken off a new bike gets destroyed in the process. The factories over tighten for sure. On its first oil change my C14 filter can collapsed and then tore using a strap wrench. It was a mess. IIRC I ended up driving a screwdriver through it to get it to turn, no way the sheet metal would take the torque.
To the OP regarding oil level, the window will let you see where you are at in the fill. Go slow with the bike level and check with the window at eye level for accuracy.

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 12:57:38 am »
My experience since my 2013 new to me with 3200 on the clock. The oil filter was a b...ch to get off. Since then I hand tight and then a bit more. No problems. Use a cheap wally world filter wrench and it comes off. Only problem I have is getting down low on the concrete floor of the garage and doing the work! Must be the Shell Rotella T6 oil I use :rotflmao:

Phil
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"