Author Topic: Old Battery  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7914
  • Membership Level: Active
Old Battery
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:56:07 am »
Forum wants me to start a new topic.  My 2009 is still on its original battery.  It starts after sitting 3-4 weeks, but just a little slowly on the first cold start.  It gets 24 to 48 hours a month on a Battery Tender and before the next charge it shows 12.4 to 12.5 OCV, about 75% state of charge.  I'd like a reason to put a LiFePO4 battery in it, but it won't die. 

Anybody have one live this long?  Have you used a Battery Tender branded battery? 
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Old Battery
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:12:03 am »
Three to four years is about the life of a battery anymore...and, that's with a Battery Tender...

You probably should just go ahead and buy a new one... :truce:

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:34:41 am »
Agreed.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 07:29:59 am »
The battery in my 09 was doing fine like yours. Then on a ride 100 miles from home it wasn't. Time for a new one.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:17:53 pm »
While I agree that it's good insurance to replace a battery every 4-5 years with normal use, I disagree that life expectancy using a battery tender is the same.  I got 10 years out of my last lead acid filled Yuasa (not in the Kawi) using an Optimate Tender religiously - that NEVER would have happened without the use of a tender.

You can drive it til it drops, or you can replace for piece of mind.  Your choice.  Cheap insurance, IMHO.

As far as LiFEPO4 / Li+ Batt.'s, I tried to find a reason to switch to the newer technology last year when I finally replaced the 10 year old battery, and I just couldn't find a compelling reason to make a departure from the tried and true.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 01:38:40 pm »
Three to four years is about the life of a battery anymore...and, that's with a Battery Tender...

:goodpost:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 02:07:49 pm »

This makes me sad, if true.

So you think a Battery Tender doesn't effectively extend the life of modern batteries?

I admit, I've had a "meh" feeling towards my Deltran Battery Tender Jr's.  I'd probably try a CTEK or Optimate with my next battery.  But I was hoping for that to be a while down the road.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 03:22:43 pm »
I've owned bikes that had failed batteries after two years. That was decades ago.
Motorcycle batteries have come a long, long way.

I replaced a 4 year old YUASA YTZ14S in one bike, last summer.
It was an original battery, always on a Battery Tender, not week-on week-off but always when not being used
Showed no signs of degrading performance. It was simply 4 years old.

That 4 year old battery sits on my bench, trickle charged once a month as an experiment of battery life and it still holds 12.76v+.
Voltage indicates only part of the battery's performance but I believe it's still a good battery and it's now 5 years old.
"Remember? You're never too old to fall down."
Jay Leno

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 12:25:53 am »
Lithium batteries require a special charger (one that doesn't have an "Anti-Sulfation" cycle)...and, you will be paying a premium today for technology that most of America doesn't yet understand...all to save a few pounds...

Flooded batteries are not "black magic"...as many people would assume...the manufacturer puts a specific number of lead plates...at a specific weight...into a battery...they then know that a specific amount of battery acid, at a specific strength will eat away the lead plates in the battery at a very specific rate...that is why many batteries (for instance, for a car) with a 60 month warranty will go dead and not hold a charge after 66 or 70 months...it's not luck...it's a very precise ratio of the amount of lead being eaten away by battery acid of a certain strength over a period of time...

Battery Tenders...of many types have added to the lives of many batteries...but, yours is 9 years old...actually, I'm amazed your OEM battery lasted this long...that's phenomenal!  But, I would suggest you buy another battery...even if it is to put it on the shelf in the garage...just so you can determine when you should change yours.  It's better to do it on your terms than to be stranded in BFE with a dead battery and be dependent on whatever is available at the time...DAMHIK...

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:42:40 am by CRocker »

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 01:11:51 am »
If you want your new battery to last, read that peace of paper in the box.
Then follow the directions and you to can get 6,7,8 years of life.

Offline Frank

• Tricycle
  • 2010 C 14 2007 Vulcan 900
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 04:15:54 am »
I also have my original battery on my 2010. I store it in the basement and put a battery tender on it a couple of times a month over the winter. My last battery on a Kawasaki lasted 11 years.

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 07:19:05 am »
Pushing your lead/acid battery might give some bragging rights but the cost of having my 09 trailered home would have paid for 3 batteries. Fortunately at the time I had both AMA and ROK towing service. Now that they are combined I would have only gotten halfway home. There was No indication that the battery was failing in any way, it just simply died all at once and wouldn't even power up the bike when trying to start it. Apparently something inside broke. When I had it load tested the first two tests showed good but after giving it a very minor thump on the bench it showed 6.7 volts and failed to work the load tester. The cost a a battery would have prevented a friend from having to leave the group ride to bring my wife home, 100+ miles and I wouldn't have spent 7 1/2 hours getting the bike home.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 01:34:26 pm »
Pushing your lead/acid battery might give some bragging rights but the cost of having my 09 trailered home would have paid for 3 batteries. Fortunately at the time I had both AMA and ROK towing service. Now that they are combined I would have only gotten halfway home. There was No indication that the battery was failing in any way, it just simply died all at once and wouldn't even power up the bike when trying to start it. Apparently something inside broke. When I had it load tested the first two tests showed good but after giving it a very minor thump on the bench it showed 6.7 volts and failed to work the load tester. The cost a a battery would have prevented a friend from having to leave the group ride to bring my wife home, 100+ miles and I wouldn't have spent 7 1/2 hours getting the bike home.

This can also be said about a variety of preventative maintenance items. Stuff is a lot easier to deal with on your own terms versus the wait 'til it breaks regimen.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:30 pm »
+1 SteveJ.
A few things come to mind, especially brake fluid as one that is often overlooked or just ignored.

Offline Ronnie

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 08:48:49 pm »
My 2012 is still on the original battery and never been on a tender before.  However, I do ride year round so the bike never sits for more than a few days or week at most.  I've been milking it but will replace it next week before I get on the road to Daytona.  Like has already been said, $60 is cheap piece of mind. :motonoises:
Ronnie

"I swear, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of  stupidity."

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:40 pm »
My 2009, bought new in 2010, is on its original battery as well. I use the Battery Tender Jr. at home, since the bike sits while I travel for work.  On trips of course it isn't on a tender, and six months in 2016 and six months in 2016, I lived away for work and took the bike. It sat outside, not on a tender, and the battery held up fine. It still shows no signs of going bad. I do keep the terminals clean. I will be looking into a new battery this year...most likely.

My bike has been used mostly for long trips, generally at least 700 miles at a time per day, so that perhaps has helped since it rarely sees short trips.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:29 am »
My 15 year old yellow top Optima in the 323GTX still starts the engine, been on a tender its whole life. My 2013 C14 battery is still fine, BT all the time when it sits. But I really like the Big Crank AGM so maybe before my trip in May I'll put a AGM in it just because.

KLR AGM is 5 years old, still fine. ZX14 is over 5 years and still starts super fast. All on BT's no matter what.

My 7 year old wet acid battery in the MazdaSpeed6 still going fine, its always on a BT when it sits.

Woo boy, I sure have a lot of BT's!!  My neatest one is the Ctek, it has multiple modes to include a recovery mode for older batteries.

I have 2 deep cycle wet cells for my RV and they sit on BT's. I have a 20 year old red top Optima I use to power my tire air-pump for all the vehicles, its been on a tender all the time.

BT's for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!   :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Frank

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 02:57:14 am »
Any suggestions for a new battery? What is the difference between the stock FB FTZ14-BS battery and a Yuasa YTX14-BS battery? I did notice that the original FB has 14 AH as opposed to the Yuasa's 12 AH. Will the Yuasa work as well?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 03:11:08 am »
When the dealer replaced the OEM battery under warranty  they replaced it with a Yuasa YTX14-BS battery which worked nicely for about 6 years until I replaced it last year with the same.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Frank

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 03:34:21 am »
When the dealer replaced the OEM battery under warranty  they replaced it with a Yuasa YTX14-BS battery which worked nicely for about 6 years until I replaced it last year with the same.

Thanks for the quick info

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 02:31:14 pm »
It's beginning to look like some people can get exceptional life out of there batteries.

They must be living right. Or know something about maintaining there batteries.

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:40 pm »
It's beginning to look like some people can get exceptional life out of there batteries.

They must be living right. Or know something about maintaining there batteries.

Batteries can last longer than expected if they are kept in a temperature-controlled environment, are not overcharged, and are not deeply discharged.  There are also variations in manufacturing so that some batteries will die early even if treated well.  I predict that most of the people reporting very long life on their battery would keep the bike in a garage rather than stored outside.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:57 pm »
But Steve, mine goes to bed in a garage and my OEM battery only lasted two years. The replacement then lasted 7.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 03:25:26 am »
Last summer I took a 320 mile ride and was 2 miles from home when I shut it off to fuel. Hit the starter and it "crapped the bed". It was a 4 year old battery and I will never run one that long again. I have it on a tender at all times when its parked but when they get old they are not a good bet when you are 150 miles from home. Even 2 miles from home was a major hassle at 106 degrees at the end of that full day ride. Just not worth it to me to squeeze an extra year out of my battery. If it had died on me when I stopped for lunch that day at 150 miles from home I would have been screwed. Lesson learned.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 11:37:47 am »
Forum wants me to start a new topic.  My 2009 is still on its original battery.  It starts after sitting 3-4 weeks, but just a little slowly on the first cold start.  It gets 24 to 48 hours a month on a Battery Tender and before the next charge it shows 12.4 to 12.5 OCV, about 75% state of charge.  I'd like a reason to put a LiFePO4 battery in it, but it won't die. 

Anybody have one live this long?  Have you used a Battery Tender branded battery?

The battery should have been replaced in 2014.

Change it.  I'm not a fan of other than sealed lead acid batteries in motorcycles.

For a few pounds you wont notice ?  I'll just use the standard battery.