Author Topic: Overheating issue 2012 Connie  (Read 407 times)

Offline lars

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12204
  • Membership Level: Active
Overheating issue 2012 Connie
« on: June 02, 2018, 02:04:59 pm »
Went for a ride yesterday,  Temperature 75 degrees +/-  Engine temperature went up and down as I went along.  That is, until the last mile before home.  It's a dirt road with curves, 30 mph is about as fast as you'd want to go,  the engine temperature went from about 220 up to about 240 degrees when I got home.  I turned off the engine with the kill switch and left the key ON so the fans would continue.  The temperature climbed to 255 degrees and I got the HOT ENGINE warning.

Background:  I tore it down this spring to adjust the valves and install a real digital water temperature gauge (That's how I know the numbers I reported above)  I also wanted to change the coolant.  Rather than just unbolt the radiator and let it hang, I removed it completely (which was a good thing, I found out that the left cooling fan didn't work).  I finally got it back together last weekend and have ridden it several times since then.  The engine temperature would go up and down, but yesterday was the first time it got that hot.

Took the plastic off,  radiator is full of coolant,  reservoir is still full,  no evident leaks.  Anybody have any ideas what is going on?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Overheating issue 2012 Connie
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 02:21:33 pm »
At 30 mph you are not moving enough air though the radiator to keep it cool. Then if there is any fan issue, both fans coming on?  I've had my 09 get to 4 bars once running around town with speed limits of 25 mph. Ambient air was a bit more than just a cool 75.  ;) then if I hit the highway that runs through town, it's posted at 40MPH and she cools right down.

As a member of the American Legion Riders, we do a number pf parades during the summer. The 09's fan will be singing but it stays at three bars. I'm about due for a coolant change again. When you undo the drain bolt on the water pump get ready to get wet. Tim
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:58:35 pm by TimR »
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 02:54:39 pm »
yes, pretty clearly a fan issue. There could be other issues, but fans not coming on is #!. Steve

C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline lars

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 03:02:37 pm »
I replaced the faulty fan (ouch!), and both fans were running the whole time.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 03:31:03 pm »
Could there be air in the system??

Offline lars

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 06:56:13 pm »
I think I found the problem.  During reassembly I couldn't find the harness that powers the cooling fans.  Talking with the parts guys at the dealer, the harness comes as a part of the entire wiring harness and isn't available separately.  After studying the wiring diagram and looking around I found the connector on the right side engine for the fans.   

Got some 20A waterproof connectors from McMaster Carr and created a new harness to power both fans.  Not factory quality, but serviceable.

Today in going through the Service manual I discover that there is a connector on the left side of the engine as well.  Ding!  The light comes on, SFSF hits his head on a nail.  Although both fans were running, they were powered only with enough power to run the right fan so they were running slow.

Time to get more connectors and connect the left fan to the connector on the left.

Thanks for you suggestions

L

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 10:26:54 pm »
My 08 regularly hits 4 bars in traffic. Fans do kick on though and it never gets to 5 bars.