Author Topic: Overseas Shipping, Good News and Bad  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Overseas Shipping, Good News and Bad
« on: March 19, 2018, 04:32:57 pm »
The good news. My C14 (and household goods) will finally be delivered tomorrow. :)  I shipped everything the first week of December.

Now the rest of the story. I personally delivered the bike to the shipping company in Santa Clara, near San Francisco. I also helped build the enclosed crate the bike was in and was there when it was closed up. The ship left CA the second week of December and was due in Bremen, Germany on 1 Feb 2018. So far so good. The ship arrived on time and everything went into Customs. Now it hits the fan. The shipping company neglected to add the motorcycle to the Bill of Lading. What that means is it can only be recognized by the German authorities as a box of spare parts and NEVER ridden on the road or registered. Got that snafu fixed. The original Title was left in CA and not forwarded by the shipping company. Got that snafu fixed with the certified true copy I had made before surrendering the original. All of this means that my bike and other stuff sat in Bremen from 3 Feb until 6 March accruing Port Fees. When the local delivery company contacted me today to confirm delivery I was informed there was an additional $555.22 charge for the Port Fees. My contract states that all port fees are included. Six emails and a 27 minute Trans Atlantic phone call later I will not be paying any additional fees. They tried, really tried to convince me that a PDF was sent to me that superseded the original and stated Port Fees were not included. I held my ground and they caved.
  The point of all this is keep good records, save all emails, texts and make notes of phone calls with date and time notations. Even though I contracted with a reputable international company sometimes sh*t happens. I do not recommend this company.

Inter Movers, LLC
Licensed & Bonded International Carrier
FMC Lic # 022245NF
www.inter-movers.com
Tel: 1-646-753-8323
Toll free within US 877-287-8874
New York/NJ - Washington DC - Chicago - Los Angeles -Miami - Houston - Boston
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:36:58 pm by Deepsea »
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7914
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Overseas Shipping, Good News and Bad
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 04:40:38 pm »
So, eventually, you will be able to ride your USDM C14 in Germany without restrictions?  Have you modified it?  Are the mods allowed? 
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 05:34:51 pm »
I find out when I go to the TUV (DMV) for inspection. I have modified many things including a full Area P exhaust but already know that will pass. The only thing I'm not sure about is the Red Strobe light I installed for an extra brake light. I'm going to reprogram it for steady light instead of flashing and hope for the best. The other thing is the Spot Driving lights.
  It's going to take a week or two before going to the inspection. I intend to do a valve adjust and lots of other maintenance as soon as I get set up for work.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:18 pm »
  the same story everywhere... if you're going to deal with some pencil pusher, have all your paperwork in triplicate, and expect it to not go smoothly.  I'm sure you were mentally prepared for that  :-[  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:09:09 pm »
I find out when I go to the TUV (DMV) for inspection. I have modified many things including a full Area P exhaust but already know that will pass. The only thing I'm not sure about is the Red Strobe light I installed for an extra brake light. I'm going to reprogram it for steady light instead of flashing and hope for the best. The other thing is the Spot Driving lights.
  It's going to take a week or two before going to the inspection. I intend to do a valve adjust and lots of other maintenance as soon as I get set up for work.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
You better put a strip of black tape over the Shoodaben sticker on your ECU... or they will confiscate it..... :rotflmao: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:28:48 am »
Not just triplicate, certified true copies in triplicate.

The polizi here ride BMW's so the ECU is safe. I hope. This is one of the reasons I kept the 09, EU emissions standards and modification restrictions are easier than if it was newer.

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 11:35:19 am »

You can't make this stuff up!
  Yesterday I talked with the dispatcher about having the delivery done with a truck that has a lift gate and a pallet jack. Today the truck shows up, no lift gate. I look under it for a ramp, no ramp ::) . I asked the two guys how they intend to unload the crated motorcycle. Duh, what motorcycle? They were not told about the bike :truce: . The truck bed is 42 inches high. Called the dispatcher and he wants them to lift one end of the crate down then lower the other end. I laughed and said ok, go try to lift one end. They tried. :rotflmao: Next idea is uncrate the bike in the truck and roll it down a ramp borrowed from a local place. (There is no battery in the bike) They go get the ramp and it's about 5 foot long, way to short. Now I explain what it means having no battery.
  They will be back tomorrow with a different truck and a pallet jack. Felt really sorry for the two guys. Looks like they were set up to fail. Hopefully I'll get my C14 tomorrow. At least I got my tools and other stuff to play with until then. :-[

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 12:12:54 pm »
Hi,
       Well...The Germans don't play, and they have 20 million laws on the books!

I was on a ship running from Bremerhaven and Hamburg, going through the Kiel Canal to the Bering Sea.

The German Pilot in the Canal brought his own Wheelsman to steer in the Canal instead of one of our Able-Bodied Seaman.

While in transit through the Canal, we had an "oil mist" detection in the main engine and it did an auto shutdown...

While this no power was going on we actually bumped the edge of the Canal and all Hell broke loose with the Germans.

Our engine had to have a bearing crankcase inspection and after we passed, the Company was informed by the Germans that if that happened again...

We would NOT be allowed to use the Canal!!! Ha!!!

Just sayin, not a lot of "give" with the German authorities! ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:18:51 pm by seagiant1 »
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 12:38:42 pm »
Unlike the US the Germans actually enforce their laws to the fullest extent.

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 07:51:49 am »
This just got even better (worse). It now looks like the US shipping company that "Forgot" to put the motorcycle on the Bill of Lading made an attempt to defraud the US Customs of the required customs fees that I prepaid. When they corrected the BoL they listed the motorcycle as a non riding show bike and parts. Fortunately (intentionally) I have photo's and video of the motorcycle being crated that clearly show the CA license plate, proving it is in fact a registered street bike and not a box of parts. Now the German Authorities and US Customs are getting involved and the Germans are pissed. Not at me but the shipping company. Status of my bike at this time is unknown.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 11:50:33 am »
This just got even better (worse). It now looks like the US shipping company that "Forgot" to put the motorcycle on the Bill of Lading made an attempt to defraud the US Customs of the required customs fees that I prepaid. When they corrected the BoL they listed the motorcycle as a non riding show bike and parts. Fortunately (intentionally) I have photo's and video of the motorcycle being crated that clearly show the CA license plate, proving it is in fact a registered street bike and not a box of parts. Now the German Authorities and US Customs are getting involved and the Germans are pissed. Not at me but the shipping company. Status of my bike at this time is unknown.

:popcorncouple:
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 12:38:24 pm »
 :38: :c002:

:popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 12:41:19 pm »
Good luck with your issues with the shipping company and I hope soon you get your bike back and get it ready to ride! Are you still going to the Alps 2 rally in July?

:motonoises:   :motonoises: 

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 12:47:14 pm »
I had to cancel for the Alps Rally, supposed to be in So. Africa at that time working on another LSR project.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:43 pm »
If you are not in So. Africa,,, come ride with us!!
  {We'll talk  :motonoises: to anybody}.

Ted
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:22:42 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 01:59:21 pm »
 :iagree: :13:

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 04:44:31 pm »
" {We'll talk  to anybody}."

Even a salty old sea dog? Your morals are lower than whale s***. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

If Im here I'll definitely try to meet up for at least a days ride.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 05:27:03 pm »
You may recall; I'm a retired Navy Airedale... So, your right about the Morals...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:28:53 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 06:10:59 pm »
Yeah I was an Airedale  :rotflmao:  then I grew up to be UDT/Diver  :great:   If you have to be on a Birdfarm  :-\  then the only place to work is the "Roof"  :nananana: . Trouble Shooter/Final Checker A7E and S3A, AIMD/Depot Level CER Testcell Operator ADJ-1 when I changed to MM and got a real job. Working underwater is a lot more fun than working "Flight Quarters". I got to blow stuff up with C4 and play with really neat toys. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:14:11 pm by Deepsea »

Offline kv5e

• Roll miles, Keep smiles
  • Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
  • COG#: 5063
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 06:43:02 pm »
Yeah I was an Airedale  :rotflmao:  then I grew up to be UDT/Diver  :great:   If you have to be on a Birdfarm  :-\  then the only place to work is the "Roof"  :nananana: . Trouble Shooter/Final Checker A7E and S3A, AIMD/Depot Level CER Testcell Operator ADJ-1 when I changed to MM and got a real job. Working underwater is a lot more fun than working "Flight Quarters". I got to blow stuff up with C4 and play with really neat toys. :)

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :PDT_Armataz_01_37:
South Central Area Director

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 08:17:18 pm »
Round 2.

The bike is scheduled for re-delivery tomorrow at 9 am. Not holding my breath.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 09:42:05 pm »
That's ok. The rest of us are....

Ride safe, Ted

Offline kv5e

• Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 10:45:00 pm »
Round 2.

The bike is scheduled for re-delivery tomorrow at 9 am. Not holding my breath.

Awesome! Hope all goes smooth and you are dragging pegs and grinning soon!  :motonoises:

Craig

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 05:16:04 pm »
Scheduled for delivery today between 9 am and 10 am. At 8:34 am I get an email saying the truck scheduled for today is held up at another customers site. My response was "Once again your company has failed to deliver as promised". If you know anything about Germans you'll understand. They take great pride in their work. About 1 1/2 hours later they say the bike is now being loaded in lift gate truck. 12:30 a delivery van pulls up, no lift gate or ramp. Three of the biggest Germans (Green Bay Packers Linemen) I've ever seen get out. First they make a ramp by stacking pallets then take apart the crate inside the van. These three giants then pick up the bike and walk it out :-\  set it down and roll it into my garage. Reconnect the battery to frame ground, after sanding it of course and hit the go button.....
  Well, wouldn't you know after all the snafu's it started right up :) .  Now for the valves, some wiring work and misc. maintenance while waiting for the rest of the required documents, insurance, etc. for TUV. Just a few more days and I'll be terrorizing the neighborhood.

Lessons learned, many. Rear tire tie down strap (homemade) worked as intended. Front tie down straps attached to lower triple tree bolt with adapter worked as well. This allowed the suspension to be relaxed and absorb shock during transit. Everything looks great, no damage of any kind.  :great:  I am once again a happy camper.

Offline kv5e

• Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 05:20:45 pm »
That's great!  Have FUN FUN FUN on the Autobahn.

https://youtu.be/gChOifUJZMc

Craig