Author Topic: Paint & Lifting  (Read 832 times)

Offline The Wanderer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8863
  • Membership Level: Active
Paint & Lifting
« on: September 07, 2009, 10:34:00 am »
Howdy,  A couple of questions.  1) I have a Shad 42 on my black 09.  Has anyone tried the Krylon paint for plastic on one yet?  I'm thinking of painting the top of mine gloss black.  I think it would match the bike better.  2) I'm having a hard time getting the 14 on the center stand.  With the bag on there just doesn't appear to be anything to grab on to, any advise on this one?  Thanks,  Norm  

Offline Kevin

• Training Wheels
  • 2012 Concours 1400 ABS
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 145
Paint & Lifting
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:47:00 pm »
Norm  The C14 is actually fairly easy to get up on the center stand once you figure out the technique.  The owners manual says to lift by holding onto the grab bar next to the saddle bag, but I couldn't get good leverage until I figure out what I was doing wrong.  The key is how you position your body and right foot.  Unlike the C10 where you face forward and lift with your right hand from the handle next to the seat, on the C14 you want to face to the rear and lift.      Hold the left handle bar hand grip with your left hand and step on the center stand foot pad with the toes of your right foot and body facing to the rear of the bike while holding onto the grab bar with your right hand.  Balance the bike upright while holding the center stand down  with your right foot, then push hard with your right foot and leg while lifting the grab rail with your right hand and the bike should snap right up on the center stand.  The left hand and left leg are used for balance.  I find doing it this way its much easier to raise than the C10 even with the bags loaded.    Kevin  

Offline Cold Streak

• Cold Streak
  • Moped
  • 952-215-2264
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8811
Paint & Lifting
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:59:00 pm »
The C14 is the heaviest bike I've ever owned and also the easiest to put on the center stand.  Just make sure both feet of the center stand are touching the ground before you push down hard with your foot.  It's a little un-nerving to lean the bike over far enough until the second foot touches but that makes it sooooo much easier.  Then just follow Kevin's advise and you'll be amazed at how easy it is.  
COG #8811
14 Kawi KLR650 NE
08 Kawi Concours
75 Kawi H1

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Paint & Lifting
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:26:00 pm »
As for the Krylon paint, I've had great success on a Givi lid in flat black, haven't tried gloss though.  As with any painting, prep work is the key and lots of light coats.  A friend of mine who does custom paints suggested the green self etching primer, worked fine for me.     HTH  
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.