Author Topic: pending battery death????????????????  (Read 5174 times)

Offline 1gopokes1

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
pending battery death????????????????
« on: October 17, 2015, 08:20:10 pm »
My 09 Connie with 10,000 miles which I have had for 3 yrs

I meet my wife in town for dinner one evening. After dinner I go to start the bike it turns over 1x and then just flat dies.... Nada- nothing. I think maybe my FOB battery is dead so I get my credit card Kpass thing that I keep under the seat. I hold it to the ignition  and it starts and off I go. But trip odometers and clock are all zeros??????? interesting.  Replaced FOB battery at home.

Today I decide to go for a day long ride in the Mtns, at the 2 hr point we stop for coffee. I start the bike up and no dash panel....blinkers work, tachometer and speedo work ???? . So I decide to head back to town to the dealer to show them. About 1/2 way back to town the dash slowly starts appearing again???? I might as well go home nothing to show the dealer now. I have  started it a couple times and it seems OK now.  On the ride back after the panel came back  I scrolled through the functions and they all seemed to work, voltage read 14.3

is this an indicator my battery is flaking??

Anyone else have this happen???

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: pending battery death????????????????
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 08:34:48 pm »
it indicates either the batt is crapping out, or terminals and connections have formed an invisable resistive coating.... remove them all, and abrasively clean them all, and reeinstall. especially the ground points on the frame.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline bearbait

• Bearbait
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8920
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:28:58 pm »

I meet my wife in town for dinner one evening. After dinner I go to start the bike it turns over 1x and then just flat dies.... Nada- nothing. I think maybe my FOB battery is dead so I get my credit card Kpass thing that I keep under the seat. I hold it to the ignition  and it starts and off I go. But trip odometers and clock are all zeros??????? interesting.  Replaced FOB battery at home.

Today I decide to go for a day long ride in the Mtns, at the 2 hr point we stop for coffee. I start the bike up and no dash panel....blinkers work, tachometer and speedo work ???? . So I decide to head back to town to the dealer to show them. About 1/2 way back to town the dash slowly starts appearing again???? I might as well go home nothing to show the dealer now. I have  started it a couple times and it seems OK now.  On the ride back after the panel came back  I scrolled through the functions and they all seemed to work, voltage read 14.3

Ok...what is a credit card Kipass thing???
2009 C14 ABS, Muzzy exhaust with Power Commander V, and best of all the Corbin Seat!
Past bikes:
1962 Honda Super 90, 1965 Honda 305 Super Hawk, 1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1973 Hodaka Road Toad 100, 1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat 125, 1970 Husqvarna 400 Motocross, 1975 Honda 360 Scrambler, 1980 Kawasaki 250 Enduro, 1978 Honda 750 Four, 2000 Kawasaki C10, 2006 Kawasaki Z750S

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »

Volt meter test on battery terminals wont tell you anything more than a voltage reading, which will likely read normal.

You have to load-test a battery to know if it's bad.  But it sounds like yours is bad.  I would bet it's older than 3 years if you bought the  bike used.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 11:03:18 pm »
Sometimes when you park the bike in the full sunlight, it will heat up the LCD display enough that it will fade out until it cools back off. That may be what happened to your display and why it slowly came back.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 11:38:15 pm »
I think maybe my FOB battery is dead so I get my credit card Kpass thing that I keep under the seat. I hold it to the ignition  and it starts and off I go. But trip odometers and clock are all zeros?

Jim are you aware with the big FOB (the one with the battery) if the battery dies you can remove the key and hold the felmale notch to the same notch you would hold the CC sized fob to and get to start the bike that way too? It seems to me you have a problem with either bad battery connections or a dying motorcycle battery or both.

Fred is right about the dash in the sun light.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 11:50:43 pm »

Ok...what is a credit card Kipass thing???

Big active w/passive chip and small passive only

Offline henerythe8th

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12226
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 01:26:00 am »
It sounds like you may have poor connections at your battery terminals and/or the other end of those cables...
2013 C14

Offline 1gopokes1

• Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 01:44:20 am »
Thanks for input guys

well I put the bike in the barn where the tools are and pulled the battery

It is  Deka   part # ETX 15  AGM battery 220 CCA....no date????

but when I pulled it there was no battery tray, no battery hold down strap, no battery top cover.....the crap the PO pull....Oh extra parts throw them in the trash :-[

so it has kinda just been bouncing around in there.....Humm think that could be an issue???????????

So I went on Fleabay and found the missing parts and they should be here in a few days

I am thinking I might as well put in a new battery to make it right   any suggestions there

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 09:00:54 am »
Jim,
Dont forget to clean ALL your battery contact points as per MOBs comment! Better safe than sorry.

Norm
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 10:06:11 am »
Thanks for input guys

well I put the bike in the barn where the tools are and pulled the battery

It is  Deka   part # ETX 15  AGM battery 220 CCA....no date????

but when I pulled it there was no battery tray, no battery hold down strap, no battery top cover.....the crap the PO pull....Oh extra parts throw them in the trash :-[

so it has kinda just been bouncing around in there.....Humm think that could be an issue???????????

So I went on Fleabay and found the missing parts and they should be here in a few days

I am thinking I might as well put in a new battery to make it right   any suggestions there

I assume nothing was loose ?

New battery will likely fix the problem as well as getting the rest of the parts to hold it in place wont hurt !

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 11:24:48 am »
As long as you're putting in a new battery, you might want to consider one of the new Shorai lithium based ones.  I've had one in my bike for over 4 years now, and it has performed flawlessly, and I don't have to keep it on a trickle charger anymore.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 11:26:55 am »
As long as you're putting in a new battery, you might want to consider one of the new Shorai lithium based ones.  I've had one in my bike for over 4 years now, and it has performed flawlessly, and I don't have to keep it on a trickle charger anymore.

I'm considering this when it's time to replace mine as well only because of the weight savings.  I'm concerned about the heat factor here in TX.

Lets not thread jack though.  Different thread =D  I see you are in TX.

Offline 1gopokes1

• Bicycle

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 12:06:03 am »
Hi,
       The DEKA is suppose to be a good battery?

I would have to get it load tested just because I'm that way. ;D

Of course, it bouncin around in the battery compartment probably wasn't good! ::)
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 12:38:47 am »
http://www.amazon.com/WPS-Featherweight-Lithium-Battery-HJTZ5S-FP-IL/dp/B00DX894B2/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1445226132&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=LITHUM+BATTERY#Ask

anyone use one of these

price looks right

I wound up purchasing the Battery Tender 240cca for about $100, I realized that the battery you/I referenced is probably too small. I did purchase the 120cca version for my boys 90cc ATV and it has held up well over the last 6 months and it cranks over real strong. Installation should be happening soon into the Connie...should the Kawi dealer be correct in their assessment about my injectors being the source of all my problems over the last 3+ months she's been down...

Being from the southwest, the biggest "negative" of purchasing a Li+ battery really doesn't apply- referring to cold weather performance.

G/L
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline Ninja

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11900
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 11:20:16 am »
http://www.amazon.com/WPS-Featherweight-Lithium-Battery-HJTZ5S-FP-IL/dp/B00DX894B2/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1445226132&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=LITHUM+BATTERY#Ask

anyone use one of these

price looks right

Yes, excellent batteries comparable to Shorai for sure.I like them because my dealer carries them at a reasonable price. I have one in my track bike right now.

PS. Go Pokes!!!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:35:41 am by Ninja »
2015 BMW S1000R - Replaced 2015 H2
2014 ZX-6R (track bike) replaced 2011 10R
2015 C14 - Fastest Color "Candy Lime Green"!
2005 KDX 200, 1984 Honda V65 Magna only 10K miles and immaculate and a 1983 Honda V45 Interceptor (Restoration project)

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 07:13:57 pm »

anyone use one of these

price looks right

Yes, excellent batteries comparable to Shorai for sure.I like them because my dealer carries them at a reasonable price. I have one in my track bike right now.

PS. Go Pokes!!!!
Ninja, is that the correct number for our C14s?
I also read it works on standard car chargers & tenders??

Norm
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 11:59:13 pm »

anyone use one of these

price looks right

PS. Go Pokes!!!!

Norm

That one is too small at only 120cca
I ultimately went with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A240C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPJ8S/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1445388847&sr=1-2&keywords=wps+lithium+battery
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline wyomingpat

• Concours 14 newby
  • Scooter
  • I look nothing like Gyneth
    • My Martial Arts website
  • COG#: 11232
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:27 am »

I'm considering this when it's time to replace mine as well only because of the weight savings.  I'm concerned about the heat factor here in TX.

Lets not thread jack though.  Different thread =D  I see you are in TX.
I have Battery Tender lithium in both my bikes. Excellent batteries, lighter and leaves space for your sandwiches!
Pat

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 11:48:55 am »

anyone use one of these

price looks right

PS. Go Pokes!!!!

Norm

That one is too small at only 120cca
I ultimately went with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A240C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPJ8S/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1445388847&sr=1-2&keywords=wps+lithium+battery
Ah, thanks NY!!
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline 1gopokes1

• Bicycle
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 02:42:42 pm »
I ordered a 240 CCA Battery Tender Lithium off fleabay for less than $90  and the lithium charger from a separate vendor for around $30

I checked both local battery specialty shops and local motorcycle shop and internet was about 50% cheaper...brick and motor can be expensive

What sold me was the weight savings...I know that sounds crazy on a 600+ Lb bike  but it all adds up

will keep you posted when all the parts arrive and get installed

Thank you for the inputs

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 03:40:02 pm »
So far so good on my Earthx ETX 24C.  I also picked up the Jump Pack.  With the Battery Management System not allowing a discharge below 9 volts, and the ability to give it a quick jump from the battery pack if I ever goof up and leave the bike on, I think I will be starting my ride for a long time.  I expect to get a full 8 years out of this battery.  Not a cheap solution, but neither is getting stranded.  Great cold weather performance too. 

http://earthxmotorsports.com/our-batteries#technology
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline wyomingpat

• Concours 14 newby
  • Scooter
  • I look nothing like Gyneth
    • My Martial Arts website
  • COG#: 11232
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 02:01:32 pm »

Here is a good treatise on batteries http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures
Pat

Offline Nighthawk

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9678
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 03:16:04 pm »
I think I'm gonna need a new battery also. Mines been out of the bike for a month while I'm adjusting the valves, bike won't start & I have sulfation the neg post where it meets the case. Anyone try the new gyz from Yuasa?
Mark in CT
2012 Arabian Red
17000mi.