Author Topic: Places to get a new wheel?  (Read 587 times)

Offline parttimer`

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Places to get a new wheel?
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:20:21 am »
Last night I managed to find a nice pot hole and chunk of asphalt to hit at 60MPH.  I'm sure the cars behind me thought they were at the rodeo the way I caught some air and bounced around.  Managed to stay upright and figured I got a flat.  Flipped to the tire pressure page and saw 2psi on my front so I pulled over.  Sadly, it's not flat, the rim is toast.  I got a tow, I didn't know the factory warranty doesn't include roadside so I'm out $150 already.  I'm waiting for my insurance agent to open to call and see if it's covered, if so the tow should be covered as well.  If it's not, i need to shop for a new front wheel for a 2017. 

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Places to get a new wheel?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 10:53:40 am »
Your front rim looks like my back rim looked after hitting a trailer hitch going 70 mph.  Front wasn't as bad, but still toast.

I got new / used rims off ebay.  The front rim of a ZX14 is the same as the C14, I have one on mine now.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline parttimer`

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 10:55:28 am »
Thanks for letting me know the substitution!  I found a full rear, and bent fronts, who buys bent fronts, I have one already!

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:50:05 am »
I have had rims bent worse than that repaired for well under 200 bucks. Frame Straight, Watts Wheel, there are several places. ZX-14 crossover still helps open up the playing field.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:05:47 pm »
Your front rim looks like my back rim looked after hitting a trailer hitch going 70 mph.  Front wasn't as bad, but still toast.

I got new / used rims off ebay.  The front rim of a ZX14 is the same as the C14, I have one on mine now.

Thanks for the info on the C14 and ZX14 rim interchange.   I have both a C14 and ZX14r and if I need parts off ebay I will search for both makes to find parts when the same.  At least I did when getting brake rotors of ebay.  Usually there is more selection, lower miles, and cheaper price on the ZX14 stuff.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 08:13:58 pm »
Better check it out real good and make sure that's the only damage to the bike.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:24:53 pm »
Last night I managed to find a nice pot hole and chunk of asphalt to hit at 60MPH.  I'm sure the cars behind me thought they were at the rodeo the way I caught some air and bounced around.  Managed to stay upright and figured I got a flat.  Flipped to the tire pressure page and saw 2psi on my front so I pulled over.  Sadly, it's not flat, the rim is toast.  I got a tow, I didn't know the factory warranty doesn't include roadside so I'm out $150 already.  I'm waiting for my insurance agent to open to call and see if it's covered, if so the tow should be covered as well.  If it's not, i need to shop for a new front wheel for a 2017.

You really need to read, and understand the coverages Kaw does provide, which includes tow service up to $250, for a tire issue...no charge....

https://kpp.kawasaki.com/Terms-And-Conditions

Well, now I went searching, and even tho the KPP extended policy does cover that, I can't find the tire thing in the factory issued 36 month original warranty.... which is odd... now I need to speak with them and ask why..... I assume its because the KPP is an additional purchased thing, but still find it a bit difficult to swallow if so... bummer...
 >:(

Prior knowledge is very important,.in order to make intellegent rapid action when something occurrs, hindsight is 20/20, but after the fact contracting something out to a tow service, will not result in satisfaction, or peace of mind.. let alone trying to get "a refund" to cover it.

Sorry to see you had the problem, might want to see what Kaw does cover, and print it out for future reference.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:32:47 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 11:25:49 am »
AMA membership comes with reportedly awesome Roadside, not just for your bikes but any vehicle for any household member.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:30 pm »
I was going to say jump on that $89 wheel until I read the full description. "Has a wobble but rides good". I wouldn't touch that. I am also looking for a used front wheel here in Germany. They will not allow me to use the CF wheel that's currently on my C14. I found one in Lithuania for $225. The real bummer is I have the original wheel in CA in storage.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline parttimer`

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 12:14:36 pm »
I called the dealer, for a new wheel installed I am at 1020, he also said if I hit something that hard I should replace the tire since internal damage to the tire could have happened.  I called insurance who is covering all towing, both to my house and then to the dealer.  I let the dealer know if the tire is up for replacement I'd like to get a different tire.  I've got 3k on them, might as well upgrade. 
I called the Kawaski roadside number and was told the standard warranty does not include towing.  I was going to, at some point add the extended plan but I still have 2 years left on the factory warranty.  But to get free towing i may as well buy it now!

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 12:37:14 pm »
Check to be sure the extended warranty towing will be in effect while the standard warranty is still active.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 12:48:30 pm »

You is lucky.

A friend of mine bent both of his front and rear wheels and raked off the brake calipers hitting a piece of concrete in the fog.
It's just a testament to the engineering that goes into these bikes that allows for a safe stop.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 05:57:10 pm »
I called the dealer, for a new wheel installed I am at 1020, he also said if I hit something that hard I should replace the tire since internal damage to the tire could have happened.  I called insurance who is covering all towing, both to my house and then to the dealer.  I let the dealer know if the tire is up for replacement I'd like to get a different tire.  I've got 3k on them, might as well upgrade. 
I called the Kawaski roadside number and was told the standard warranty does not include towing.  I was going to, at some point add the extended plan but I still have 2 years left on the factory warranty.  But to get free towing i may as well buy it now!

I do think the KPP extension is a great thing, but in reality buying it now just gurantees there will be no "lapse" at the point the OEM 36 months runs out... and I'm not sure it would "add" the towing to the current factory protection... might want to contact Pete, at Ultimate Cycle, in the sticky post I started about the reduced price extension plan, and specifically ask him to speak with Kaw, and report back if it does infact "act as an adder" for benefits.... he will do that for you..

As for towing, as noted, AMA has a great plan, had it for 15+ years, covers EVERY vehical in the household...  worth the price for sure, which is $0 when you join AMA and choose automatic updates.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 11:22:50 am »
I've been reading all these pot hole incidences , can't imagine pot holes that big to cause that!

That's one good thing about our flat boring roads , not to many road problems because we don't get cold enough to freeze , scary.
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 09:22:48 am »
If you are still looking for a front wheel, I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Kawasaki-Concours-ZG1400-Front-Wheel/142807368810?hash=item213ffb846a:g:JlEAAOSwcNxa4d4M

Unfortunately there is still a couple of days left before the auction ends.   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki