Author Topic: Prospective Concours owner with some questions  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Matt

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum (M)
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Prospective Concours owner with some questions
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:22:29 pm »
Hello all!

New member here and I have a few questions regarding which year Concours to buy...

I have an original 2006 ZX-14 which I am selling, and have been riding pretty much my entire life, so I'm no stranger to powerful bikes. I'm in my mid 40s now, and want the increased comfort and range of the Concours. I hope to pick up a new left over model somewhere, have done some research on here and still have a few questions...

I suppose my biggest question is whether the 2015 upgrade is worth the extra money? I'm seeing quite a few new left over 2014 models at great prices, as well as some low mileage used bikes. Also quite a few 2016 models for a few thousand more...  So, I wanted to see if anyone has time on both or can add any helpful info?

Thanks in advance!!

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Prospective Concours owner with some questions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:28:44 pm »
Matt,
Where are you located in the NE? There is probably someone near you that might let you test the different years to see for yourself. If you are near me I have pre and post '15's here now. Im right outside of DC. 
Matt here, I had a 2012 and now have a 2015. The linking on the brakes alone makes it worth the upgrade to a 15 or newer. The lower ratio first gear is the icing on the cake as it does improve low speed manners. Caution: My bike is not stock and will show you just how good a C14 can be with some $$$ invested in the right upgrades! 
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:08:33 pm »
Hello all!

New member here and I have a few questions regarding which year Concours to buy...

I have an original 2006 ZX-14 which I am selling, and have been riding pretty much my entire life, so I'm no stranger to powerful bikes. I'm in my mid 40s now, and want the increased comfort and range of the Concours. I hope to pick up a new left over model somewhere, have done some research on here and still have a few questions...

I suppose my biggest question is whether the 2015 upgrade is worth the extra money? I'm seeing quite a few new left over 2014 models at great prices, as well as some low mileage used bikes. Also quite a few 2016 models for a few thousand more...  So, I wanted to see if anyone has time on both or can add any helpful info?

Thanks in advance!!

I sold a 2000 R1 and a 2004 Harley Ultra classic to fund my 2015 C14.  Unless 2016 offers something special like a cruise control that many people want, I'd go for the 15'er. 

I put 6000 miles on it last fall and looking forward to doing that again in a couple years!  There's a thread posted in the ride section on my trip.

Theres a couple Arkansas trips as well in there.  I'll be heading to the Ozarks In may as well.

A friend that I go with always busts my chops about not having a 'small' bike to flick in the corners. And I always  end up, at the end of the day to be the one that is not as tired or sore. :)

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 10:34:15 pm »
I agree with MattC. I had the opportunity to dance with Ma Kaw at the 15 press intro. I rode my '11 and went a$$cheek to a$$cheek between the 2. The lower 1st (and low friction steering stem seals  :rotflmao:) is a plus for the parking lot manners and drive hitch, but now a days SISF's evo flash cured that problem so not a deal breaker. The linked brake fix on the '15 is a definite upgrade. On my '11 I don't touch the rear brake except in panic stops. The '15 has much better manners in the braking system. I punched the rear with no noticeable dive in the front compared to earlier models. The dollar comparison sadly is up to you. For a grand I'd go with '15 and above. Just easier to acclimate to when using traditional braking techniques. My .02.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen

Offline Matt

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 01:02:47 am »
Matt,
Where are you located in the NE? There is probably someone near you that might let you test the different years to see for yourself. If you are near me I have pre and post '15's here now. Im right outside of DC. 
Matt here, I had a 2012 and now have a 2015. The linking on the brakes alone makes it worth the upgrade to a 15 or newer. The lower ratio first gear is the icing on the cake as it does improve low speed manners. Caution: My bike is not stock and will show you just how good a C14 can be with some $$$ invested in the right upgrades! 
Matt

Thank you Matt! I wondered how much of an improvement was made to the brakes with the upgrade.  I remember seeing a comparison video on YouTube, where the linked brakes were criticized... Being used to traditional braking, I don't think I would like that at all...

Also, I'm in NE PA... Probably 4 hours from you,  and thank you for the kind offer!

Offline Matt

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 01:08:38 am »
Thanks guys!

I'm actually not seeing many new left over 15s in my area... A few, but many more '14s and '16s. I guess I'll assume that more 15s were bought up due to the upgrade that year...

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:55 am »
If you dont mind a very low mileage, used, one and to travel to get.

Southern New Hampshire, Craigslist Link, https://nh.craigslist.org/mcd/6055387035.html
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 11:42:50 am »
If you dont mind a very low mileage, used, one and to travel to get.

Southern New Hampshire, Craigslist Link, https://nh.craigslist.org/mcd/6055387035.html
That place always seems to have a bunch of Connies. And they are ALWAYS way overpriced!  :-\
A 2015  used should be @9k at this point in time. I didn't even pay that from a dealer for my '15 late last year! 
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Scaz

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 12:02:39 am »
I'm buying a 2014 this spring,0 miles full warrenty for 11k I couldn't find a better deal anywhere near me. Needless to say can't wait til spring!!

Offline JerBear

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 12:51:55 am »
IDK where your price/point is but here is a real nice blue 17 (new) for 12K
https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Sportland-2-2797500/listing/2017-Kawasaki-Concours-14-ABS-122210854
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 12:41:08 pm »
I would take the blue for $1K-$2K more.  Actually I did just that.  I have never ridden the older model, but I can tell you that I have absolutely no problems with the linked brakes on the 17, and when I open the vent in the windshield all the turbulence is gone.  And of course blue is the fastest color. :motonoises: 
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650