Author Topic: Question for the "Lowered" guys, or not lowered...  (Read 413 times)

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12654
  • Membership Level: Active
Question for the "Lowered" guys, or not lowered...
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:33:26 pm »
Hello Folks,

Quick questions for anyone that has lowered their C14.  (Or not lowered for that matter.)

Have you ever hit your lower fairing on anything since you lowered your bike?  Like for instance, a speed bump.

Just curious.  I lowered my C14 last year, and haven't bottomed out on anything yet, but man that fairing looks low.

Thanks!

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Question for the "Lowered" guys, or not lowered...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 11:28:06 pm »
only thing people have reported as 'damaged' were on '08-'09 models, which had a little protective 'protrusion' by the drain bolt of the oil pan... it was changed in '10 and up to today's models, to not have that protrusion...
I haven't heard much after they switched pans.. so can't comment on anything else being 'smacked' by a speed bump...

depending how much you lower it, makes a difference on later models possibly..
we have seen some fractured right handlbar castings, where people lowered the front to a point where the fork top rested on the bar castings, but that's all we have so far..
Time will tell as far as the result on the rear quadralink, and it's effects on driveline failures... I suspect we will see some associated to it, but who can really say what caused them.  There have been a couple, and I say that toungue in cheek, just a couple, that went wayyy overboard on lowering, and had tires hit the inner rear fender line.. but the company that made those links folded up.. so we are safe... unless someone goes too far.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:49:18 am »
Hello Folks,

Quick questions for anyone that has lowered their C14.  (Or not lowered for that matter.)

Have you ever hit your lower fairing on anything since you lowered your bike?  Like for instance, a speed bump.

Just curious.  I lowered my C14 last year, and haven't bottomed out on anything yet, but man that fairing looks low.

Thanks!

Not sure this is of any help what so ever...

I have not lowered my C14, so I have never bottomed out my bike.
What I have done is lower my legs (lengthened them) by removing the foam from my seat.
I can now touch the ground, or drag my feet as I ride.

How did I get on the bike and keep the bike upright before doing that? I have no idea.

All I know is that my legs got longer by about 2 inches so that I can now touch the ground.

It's all relative I guess.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Please buy my Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 03:43:02 am »
No problem .Never bottomed out.

Offline Ronnie

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 05:42:58 pm »
My bike has a Muzzy lowering link and the front was dropped to match.  I have scraped and whacked the bottom fairing numerous times.  So far no damage, even though it has sounded terrible each time it has happened.  Speed bumps are the worst......I either try to go around them or ease over them ever so slowly.  On the plus side....once you whack/scrape it real good a few times you start remembering to watch out for it.   :great:
Ronnie

"I swear, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of  stupidity."

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 11:52:57 pm »
Ronnie, I also have the Muzzy's {drops the seat 1" to 1 1/2" depending on how stiff the rear spring is set}, I also lowered the front 1", weigh about 220#, have a trunk on the bike, and have never drug the fairing.

Wondering if you have set your spring sag?
   ie; Have you increased preload?

I suspect your suspension is set too soft.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:59:36 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 12:38:30 am »

OK, but not helpful for the rest of us.  Have much did you lower it and was it front or rear or both?

I lowered my front only, by raising the forks, by 0.6 inches. 
Clear positive handling impact, no front fender issue, no problem with sidestand, and helps slightly with getting closer to flat-footing it.
Rear at stock height.  If I had it to do over again, I'd try 0.9 inches in the front (50% more).
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 02:53:20 pm »
Thanks for the input folks!
I installed T-Rex lowering links, which lowered the rear about 1-1/8", as best I could tell at the time.  Then I slid the front fork tubes up 1-1/4".
I believe I may have hit the lower fairing on a speed bump, however there's no visual evidence that it actually happened.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 06:36:06 pm »
Might be a bit low for the front. I believe the geometry is to lower a bit less in the front than the rear. I'm sure an engineer geek will chime in here! Also, you might hit the fender on a harsh bump. I lowered mine 7/8" and have never had a problem.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 09:52:22 pm »
as I asked in my prior post, about you guys dropping the front end... do all of you have 'bar risers' blocks installed? I'm probably the sole person that has not added riser blocks, because the bike as delivered fits me perfectly 'hand/arm/shoulder' wise...

so, back to the bar riser thing... without added bar risers, the fork protrusion when lowered becomes a slightly important thing to observe, we have seen a few people have the front lowered with no risers, and when the actual fork tube is in contact with the casting of the bar holders, it WILL cause extra stess on that casting, and result somewhere downstream, in a fracture of the cast part... just make sure when you are doing the front drop, there is absolutely no contact of the fork tube, and the casting on the grip riser.. I'd say visually leave an 1/8" gap there... can't say how much that relates to the actual drop dimension, as I've not dropped my front.

ride safe.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 12:11:50 am »
as I asked in my prior post, about you guys dropping the front end... do all of you have 'bar risers' blocks installed? I'm probably the sole person that has not added riser blocks, because the bike as delivered fits me perfectly 'hand/arm/shoulder' wise...

Yep, I added riser blocks before lowering the front.  I'm pretty sure my fork tubes would be hitting the handle bars if I didn't.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 12:28:25 am »
Yep I added risers.