Author Topic: Quick question, should both headlights be on when low beams are on?  (Read 241 times)

Offline Charliedog

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
It was getting dark on my way home today, and I noticed when I pulled behind a pickup truck at a stop light only the right headlight was on.  When I turned on high beams, both lights came on.  i know on some sport bikes only one headlight is on with low beams, so I was wondering if that's the case with the C14, or should I replace the bulb.  TIA

Online robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Quick question, should both headlights be on when low beams are on?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:01:02 pm »
Yes both should be on. Sounds like you need to replace the left side, probably a good time to upgrade to LEDs if you haven't done so. Easy to do, just turn the handlebars to get access to the headlights.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline Charliedog

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:57:35 pm »
Thanks.  I'll think about the LED's.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:11:46 am »
Yes both should be on. Sounds like you need to replace the left side, probably a good time to upgrade to LEDs if you haven't done so. Easy to do, just turn the handlebars to get access to the headlights.

SEND HIM A CHECK...

for the O/P, yes, both should be lit hi or low beam...

go to Autozone, PepBoys, Advance, or NAPA and buy a new pair of lamps... save the lamp that was functioning correctly as a 'spare', and be done with it.

you can upgrade lamps, if you wish, to higher outputs in draw, and resultant output, NAPA 80/100 w lamps were always the standby (for us older dudes that had C10's), but I'm not 'keen' on using them in a plastic housing.. just saying... and I have problems doing away with a common bulb, and going to LED tech, or even HID tech, not knowing where, how far from home, you ride.

tossing $$$ in upgraded lighting has benefits, downfall is having an 'on road failure' and resolving it for the next days ride..

"buy the ticket, take the ride".. famous words from Dr. Hunter S. Thompson....

I did a 'comparo' on the NAPA 80/100,(still a cheap $ investment) and the commercially available Silverstar, and other "better" (meh) bulbs, and found the only difference in reality, was what you spent, for the light.. not much difference on the latter.. but big 'up front $' based on choices.

I sure wish that one of the OEM lamps, on my bike since 7/7/07, would fail, so I can realistically test the endurance of the other bulbs I have in my collection... but alas, they keep on working. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline konehead

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9065
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:12:33 am »
Does anybody know if the led set up would work with the headlight modulator? I really love led lighting , but my standard bulbs and my modulator really catches the eye of the oncoming cages, so much so I've had cars pulling over thinking I'm an emergency vehicle...