Author Topic: Radiator clean up?  (Read 203 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Radiator clean up?
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:15:16 pm »
Have any of you cleaned your radiators? I noticed mine is looking pretty clogged up with road grime and want to let it breath again. What have you all used? I was thinking some Simple Green and water as it should get the crud out with out damaging the aluminum>
Jeremy
2016 C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Radiator clean up?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 07:10:00 pm »
I would not suggest Simple Green, the spary type you see in the automotive stores and such, to be used on the radiator.
Even tho they say it's safe for metals, if you read the container, and also their FAQ's specifically about Aluminum....
you will understand...

https://simplegreen.com/industrial/faqs/

pick the one for aluminum...
it has a tendency to corrode, and cause oxidation when it gets into small cracks and such, and then subjected to heat and further moisture...
and does require some kind of surface 'protectant' to bare aluminum after use...
Too many fines and crevices for my choice of cleaner.
(same thing goes for cleaners like 409, and Fantastic)

The best stuff I used, was from a guy that services air conditioners, and it worked super, and left no residue... I need to ask him for some more, I think this was the stuff
https://tinyurl.com/ycorm9d8

Simple dish soap solution is probably safest, applied with a spray bottle, and rinsed with LOW pressure hose...
just make sure any water or air you spray, doesn't start bending fins, they ar a biotch to straighten, eveen with a 'fin comb', always direct stream 90* straight into the face of the radiator, and not at an angle...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:02:36 pm »
With the radiator warm, I like to use water only to wet the front of the fins then after a few minutes of soaking and softening I use garden hose water pressure from the back side to persuade the bugs and crap out the way they came in. ..
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...

Offline P07r0457

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:34:53 pm »
When I did my valve adjustment I pulled my radiator out and used a garden hose and rag to clean it.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White