Author Topic: Rattling noise in the nose cone area ?  (Read 333 times)

Offline Slingblade

• Moped
    • Motorcycle Touring in Pa
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12163
  • Membership Level: Active
Rattling noise in the nose cone area ?
« on: April 11, 2017, 01:26:20 pm »
This has me flummoxed.   >:(

I have a weird rattling noise that seems to be emanating from the nose cone area but only under certain circumstances.  Any time the nose is pointed into a choppy headwind I hear it.  From the sound of it - in my minds eye it seems to be a lose metal washer that is rattling around.  The noise has nothing to do with RPM's and everything to do with headwinds.  Lower temps make it much more pronounced too.  Last night as a passed through two of the Turnpike tunnels it was acting up really bad - as soon as I entered the tunnel it was silent - as soon as I got out of the tunnel and back into a chilly heading - rattling.  It's not a huge deal but is is quite annoying.

I have looked all over and just cant see anything that would be the culprit - other than missing fairing screws that go right behind the two from marker lights. I will fix this is soon as I identify the screws needed. 

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:09:34 pm by Slingblade »
2013 Concours14
Central Pa "Bitter-Clinger" ; )
Romans 8:38-39
http://www.pa-mag.com/motorcycle-touring/
https://www.facebook.com/PaMotorcycleTours/

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Rattling noise in the nose cone area ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:28:05 pm »
Soft tie from strapping down still wrapped around the lower triple tree?

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline SWOJO95

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 190
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 02:33:02 pm »
This has me flummoxed.   >:(

I have a weird rattling noise that seems to be emanating from the nose cone area but only under certain circumstances.  Any time the nose is pointed into a choppy headwind I hear it.  From the sound of it - in my minds eye it seems to be a lose metal washer that is rattling around.  The noise has nothing to do with RPM's and everything to do with headwinds.  Lower temps make it much more pronounced too.  Last night as a passed through two of the Turnpike tunnels it was acting up really bad - as soon as I entered the tunnel it was silent - as soon as I got out of the tunnel and back into a chilly heading - rattling.  It's not a huge deal but is is quite annoying.

I have looked all over and just cant see anything that would be the culprit - other than missing fairing screws that go right behind the two from marker lights. I will fix this is soon as I identify the screws needed. 

Any ideas?

I had what sounded to be a similar noise, kind of a buzz noise, but only happened intermittently, since my bike was new. It drove me nuts for several years because I could not seem to pinpoint where the noise was coming from, but I eventually figured it out. It turned out to be the plastic cowling just above the headlight. Under ideal conditions, I'm guessing, it would vibrate against the plastic below it and cause the buzzing sound I was hearing. I took a small piece of adhesive backed foam and gently pulled the cowling up, the pointy area above headlight, and adhered the foam under it.  I did this about a year ago and have never heard that buzzing sound again.  This may not be your issue, but worth checking?

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:08 pm »
There are two screens, one in each air intake below the headlights.  Check that one of them isn't loose and is buzzing in the wind.  Also directly underneath the air intakes is a thin panel that can be loose especially if the plastic push pins didn't get engaged to it properly.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Slingblade

• Moped
    • Motorcycle Touring in Pa
  • COG#: 12163
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 02:42:32 am »
Thanks for the suggestions and insights!
2013 Concours14
Central Pa "Bitter-Clinger" ; )
Romans 8:38-39
http://www.pa-mag.com/motorcycle-touring/
https://www.facebook.com/PaMotorcycleTours/

Offline RS

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 9763
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:23:36 am »
Check for the 2 bolts that hold the entire headlight assembly to the steering tube on the frame. I had that issue years ago and recall that it was fairly common (loose or missing bolts)
Richard