Author Topic: Ready to purchase, but first a question  (Read 788 times)

Offline Matt

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Ready to purchase, but first a question
« on: November 15, 2018, 11:48:29 pm »
Hello all, I’m currently a Honda ST1100 rider looking to purchase a Concours 14. I’ve found a 2008 model  I’d like to purchase, from a private seller, but I have some questions for y’all, if you don’t mind.
   I’m aware that there are recalls on that model year, so I asked the current owner if they had been performed. This is what he sent me, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this is correct? Or do  these repairs need to be performed?

He wrote “It does not have a trunk so the carrier platform repair is not needed today.  The headlight nob is if the bike is having the issue which I have not. There is nothing more to do in the way of recall because the bike does not have a trunk and the headlight adjustment is working”

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Ready to purchase, but first a question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:25:35 am »
Not quite sure about the carrier plate form is about. I replaced mine with a COG vendors rear rack that is most defiantly much stronger being machined out aluminum plate. I mounted my truck on the after market rack.

It could be the owner is confused with the side bag latch hook replacement. Original hook was red. Replacements are orange. 

Head light adjustment knobs. The knobs were falling off. The fix was to drill and tap, install a screw to hold the knobs on the adjustment shaft. The screw is covered by a small cap. Small cap in the middle of the knob means it's been done.

There was a recall on the rear brake linkage. The linkage would collect rocks which became lodged between linage and frame. Effectively left pressure on the rear brake and they would burn up. 1st recall put a guard on the linkage. Didn't work so recall #2 was the installation of round linkage. Problem fixed. 

I can't think of any more recalls. But if you take the bike to a Kawasaki dealer and the recalls have not been done, they should bring it up to speed. They will check by VIN number. Might have to wait on kits from Mama Kaw if not done. The recalls have all been pretty simple with short waiting periods  to get the work done by the tech. HTH's Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline BigK

• Scooter
  • COG#: 3642
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:59:47 pm »
The back plate was recalled but it is only an issue if you mount a trunk on it. And most decent trunks has its own plate.  There was also two recalls on the rear brake lever.
Kevin
Indy AAD

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:25:59 pm »
simply have any Kaw dealership you have near you, run the VIN thru their system, it will show exactly what recall items have been satisfied, and which have not.

all of these recall items are for the life of the bike, and done for no charge to any owner, during it's operational life however long that may be... none of them require "leaving the bike at the dealership" while awaiting the parts to arrive, so telling them the VIN, and asking they call you when ALL of the items come in, will allow you to have them all done at once, which should only take about 2 hours total time when dropped off.

do them all, save the next guy the headaches, and give yourself peace of mind and good Karma.

ride safe
YMMV

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 01:45:22 pm »
simply have any Kaw dealership you have near you, run the VIN thru their system, it will show exactly what recall items have been satisfied, and which have not.

all of these recall items are for the life of the bike, and done for no charge to any owner, during it's operational life however long that may be... none of them require "leaving the bike at the dealership" while awaiting the parts to arrive, so telling them the VIN, and asking they call you when ALL of the items come in, will allow you to have them all done at once, which should only take about 2 hours total time when dropped off.

do them all, save the next guy the headaches, and give yourself peace of mind and good Karma.

ride safe
YMMV

What MOB said!  :great:
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline konehead

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9065
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 02:19:32 am »
Unless the deal was just too good to pass up, I'd be looking at a 2010 or newer.  The rub with the '08+'09 models was in the heat management area.  The rider would get hot.  MA Kawi changed the fairing and heat related bits to keep the rider from cooking.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 04:47:58 pm »
Unless the deal was just too good to pass up, I'd be looking at a 2010 or newer.  The rub with the '08+'09 models was in the heat management area.  The rider would get hot.  MA Kawi changed the fairing and heat related bits to keep the rider from cooking.

THIS ^^^

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home