Author Topic: Rear brake disc  (Read 298 times)

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
  • Membership Level: Active
Rear brake disc
« on: June 06, 2019, 12:07:28 am »
Well on another thread I posted about some decomposing EBC brake pads. EBC has been wonderful and replaced them free of charge promptly just like people here said. Go EBC. Now I am wondering whether my rear disc is good. I called and was told the bike has had the rear brake recall done, but I have no way to know if at that time they did anything to the rear disc. In any case, the bike has 30,000 miles and when I rotate the rear wheel in neutral, it seems to drag in one spot as though the disc isn't true. It also has some slight discoloring in patterns that make ti look like it is somewhat warped in that there are spots that are dark from carbon and spots that are light, as though it is wavy.

Your thoughts? I'm inclined to replace just from age though can't say if 30K is sufficient time to replace generally.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 26,000 and counting

Online Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
Re: Rear brake disc
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 12:35:20 am »
Well on another thread I posted about some decomposing EBC brake pads. EBC has been wonderful and replaced them free of charge promptly just like people here said. Go EBC. Now I am wondering whether my rear disc is good. I called and was told the bike has had the rear brake recall done, but I have no way to know if at that time they did anything to the rear disc. In any case, the bike has 30,000 miles and when I rotate the rear wheel in neutral, it seems to drag in one spot as though the disc isn't true. It also has some slight discoloring in patterns that make ti look like it is somewhat warped in that there are spots that are dark from carbon and spots that are light, as though it is wavy.

Your thoughts? I'm inclined to replace just from age though can't say if 30K is sufficient time to replace generally.

By rear disc are you referring to the rotor or the pads? I assume you're meaning the rotor. I'm at 57K miles on my C-14 and my rotors are good / true on front and rear. I understand the need for replacement of the rotors can be dependent on your driving style and the type of brake pads used... for what it's worth. There are others on this forum who are knowledgeable than I in such things.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 12:36:36 am »
All my 4 Kawasaki's have a spot on the rear disk that seems to drag when spinning in a certain spot. I call it normal.

:beerchug:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:43:05 pm by gpd323 »
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Moped
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 02:18:13 am »
Yes, disc is rotor is disc. Seems to me that if my rear is rubbing only in one spot as I rotate the rear wheel then clearly something is off.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 06:35:59 pm »

The creation of this second discussion, leaves everyone in the dark about the original discussion, and creates the need for jumping all over, to get the complete story... in the future, if you start a thread, please keep the other input in that same thread, so duplicate responses can be minimalized.. thanks in advance,

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/rear-brake-pads-crumbling/msg669251/#msg669251

now, show us a photo of what you see, please.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Moped
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 08:26:40 pm »
Fair point, MOB, I hesitated myself. I guess we either muddle one discussion with many partially related topics, or start multiples that require browsing.