Author Topic: Is there a way to secure side cases?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Is there a way to secure side cases?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 01:01:52 am »
I’ve seen people pinning their cases, and I know that keeps them from flying away but short of drilling into the cases and pinning them with a bolt and nut, is there a way to secure them for when you walk away from your bike and not worry about somebody trying to steal the cases off the bike? I’ve seen older posts about Zteve’s retaining bracket which may be simple and provide security while riding and when parked but I don’t see him on eBay now. I’ve thought about using a trailer hitch pin lock and drilling the support brackets. That’d be like pinning but with added security. Any suggestions or ideas that may not lead to drilling into the cases?

The Kawasaki factory side cases have ALWAYS had a 3 -point securement, with a locking system.

Yes, anybody with a pry bar can get a case off same as they can smash a window on your car.

This thread, and many others forwarded on to Kawasaki NA HQ; misleading information presented/mis-represented by "authorities" of an Owner's Group. Misrepresentation and slanderous presentation of information.

There is a small group forwarding the presentation of such falsification of information(s) here, on a regular basis, as to present problems that do NOT exist. Copy/paste/snip it tools utilized, forwarded to the Kawasaki legal teams.   

sorry.
seems you are on a mission.

I shall not interrupt that.

just capturing your quote, for the benefit of those that make the rules here.
I look forward to the response from Kawasaki, corp.
Hope you did not step over the line of Libel/slander in your cut and paste documents.

Yes, you owe COG and KHI an apology.

It's not a mission, just observations of many reasonable and sane people; that's what the Inbox of PM s says.

My PMs Inbox says ..." Thanks for intervention of the drunken troller,  MOB ....." etc., etc..

How would I be over-stepping the lines of libel and slander, when they are simply quotes from your self and other Members of the Admin. here, your own words? Are you drunk again? Can you read your own words BACK to your self out loud, and understand that what YOU have written is YOURS?  :))

just documenting your words further.

thanks.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline BadgerApaches

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 01:22:00 am »
I’ve seen people pinning their cases, and I know that keeps them from flying away but short of drilling into the cases and pinning them with a bolt and nut, is there a way to secure them for when you walk away from your bike and not worry about somebody trying to steal the cases off the bike? I’ve seen older posts about Zteve’s retaining bracket which may be simple and provide security while riding and when parked but I don’t see him on eBay now. I’ve thought about using a trailer hitch pin lock and drilling the support brackets. That’d be like pinning but with added security. Any suggestions or ideas that may not lead to drilling into the cases?

The Kawasaki factory side cases have ALWAYS had a 3 -point securement, with a locking system.

Yes, anybody with a pry bar can get a case off same as they can smash a window on your car.

This thread, and many others forwarded on to Kawasaki NA HQ; misleading information presented/mis-represented by "authorities" of an Owner's Group. Misrepresentation and slanderous presentation of information.

There is a small group forwarding the presentation of such falsification of information(s) here, on a regular basis, as to present problems that do NOT exist. Copy/paste/snip it tools utilized, forwarded to the Kawasaki legal teams.   

sorry.

Hope you did not step over the line of Libel/slander in your cut and paste documents.

It's not a mission, just observations of many reasonable and sane people; that's what the Inbox of PM s says.

My PMs Inbox says ..." Thanks for intervention of the drunken troller,  MOB ....." etc., etc..

How would I be over-stepping the lines of libel and slander, when they are simply quotes from your self and other Members of the Admin. here, your own words? Are you drunk again? Can you read your own words BACK to your self out loud, and understand that what YOU have written is YOURS?  :))

thanks.

No need.

The chorus of members here who have tolerated your drunken trolling posting, have evidently been documenting your manure for as long as the membership declines have been documented as well.

The Keystone National should just be a hoot of a money loss? Awesome PR. 
Legal Services for Manufacturers world wide.

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 02:37:45 pm »
This entire pissing match is stupid
MOB, YOU"RE AN INTERNET BULLY AND YOU HAVE AN IDENTITY ISSUE
Ex-tech editor?
Get help and be nice, for once
In the meantime, go post elsewhere and infect some other forum

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
Gen James Mattis

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 03:08:25 pm »

sorry.

thanks.

No need.

The chorus of members here who have tolerated your drunken trolling posting, have evidently been documenting your manure for as long as the membership declines have been documented as well.

The Keystone National should just be a hoot of a money loss? Awesome PR.
This entire pissing match is stupid
MOB, YOU"RE AN INTERNET BULLY AND YOU HAVE AN IDENTITY ISSUE
Ex-tech editor?
Get help and be nice, for once
In the meantime, go post elsewhere and infect some other forum

I'm sorry.  I just read the whole thread again and I'm not seeing any bullying going on by MOB.  If you were looking to discipline MOB for bad behavior, evidence of such isn't in this thread.  Lighten up guys!  Geeeeez.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 05:35:03 pm »
Some may not realize there was a recall on the red latching hook for the 08's and 09's.  The recall changed the latching hook from red to orange. Bags were falling off.

Sometime I don't know when for sure the at some point the bottom mounting forks (if you will) were made longer. The is an obvious difference between a bag from a gen 1 and a recent gen 2. The Gen 2 bag is easier to pin because there more area to find a spot to drill and pin.

I have become brave and not pinned the bags. What I do is visually check to make sure the locking latch is in fact latched. Assume nothing.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »
I think we all need to chill and discuss the idea.
I'm seen reports that others have had a bag fall off while riding on both the original and the newer style latches.

Like Tim, I haven't pinned my bags.
   NOTE:  I do use Zteve’s retaining bracket's.
              Those brackets have fallen off the bike many times {when I raised the handle without remembering to grab them}
              They are also a PITA and I don't have a lot of trust in them...
               I've had a near miss or 2, when I didn't properly secure my bags. {So far, I've bee lucky}

That said. I plan to pin mine.

Would someone please attach the pinning instructions? I tried. Haven't found it yet.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:22:06 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 07:08:08 pm »
Here ya go Ted

bag pinning...re-dux

place the bags on the bike, observe the location I showed with relation to the "ribs" on the bag lower yoke, spot the position. pre-drill the first hole using a 1/8" dia bit, this allows you to spot the hole, drill the guide hole, and remove the bags for drilling thru the mount easily with the correct bit.
before you drill anything insure the 2 screws that hold the plastick "puck" onto the mount are securely tightened, this insures a good and consistant assembly.

Drill to final diameter using a 3/16" diameter bit, do not get "sloppy" and rotate the bit and drill around, drill straight thru, this insures a tight interface to keep the pin in it's happy spot. The pins have a ball detent to reduce the chance of backing out, but after hours of banging around they do move...just check them occasionally, and push them back in firmly if they move.

I got these pins from McMaster-Carr, a great source for "stuff" you may need to fix a bike, modify anything, or get any freaking tool you need....they ship fast, cheap, and sometimes for free...I have had parts from them delivered within 36 hours of ordering...they rock!

I ordered 4, just because I wanted spares.....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#98320a020/=ci7v7g

98320A020 4 Each Zinc-plated Steel Ring-grip Quick-release Pin, 3/16" Diameter, 2.0" Usable Length
they are now $1.47 each, if you buy 2, shipping is the same as if you buy 4....

I got these for IIRC $8 delivered, within 40 hours of calling.

note:
I'm sharing this from a re-build on "the other place"...
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1152.msg11081#msg11081
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2019, 07:14:29 pm »

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 07:19:59 pm »
 :great:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 07:43:43 pm »
Pin's ordered.   :great:   Thank you.  :great:

Here is a thought {for the original question from Wayne} for help make the bags more theft-proof...
On the other Forum, a Member put a soft steel wire thru the hole and bent it over.
  {His wire is nearly invisible and not as EZ to remove as the pins}.
I think another person put a cable or a lock thru the hole.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/bag-pinning-re-dux/msg108849/#msg108849

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2019, 10:20:24 pm »
nobody want's the bag... just what may be inside..
the pinning was never about "theft proofing", just about keeping the original "bag-parting-company-during -bumpy-road-travel" at a minimal occurrence... wayy back when it was "common", and reported as an issue..

think of it this way Ted... a destroyed bag "on bike" is insurable... short of a logging chain like BDF uses... (joke), this is the tool you worry about....

bang
open
empty or full...empty now...
done.

leave it parked in public and it won't occur...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I carry a half dozen plastic coated "cable lock" cheapo units with me always, in the trunk, and also a BIG 1/2" x 4 ft lg. MasterLock coated cable lock (which I wrap around the seat, thru the frame, and rear wheel) when overnight parking in Lodgings I stay at.. and while it doesn't sqve my bag... iot makes sure MY BIKE is where I left it when I went to sleep... and also cover the bike with my COG bike cover..(kinda like saying "Nerd bike... nothing here worth stealing...") to remain lower profile.  soo far so good, even using the big cable to secure my Aerostich, and helmet to the bike... on HOT days in Hot places..

all this hubbubb about the contents of a bag is moot... if someone rolls your bike away, tosses it in a truck, and you never see it again.. bags?  come on.

:)) :)) :)) :truce: :nananana: :truce:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:47:19 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 01:15:06 am »
i think its a deep rooted issue...
https://youtu.be/ylXR3C7SwuM

but then.....

sorry, my wife is Dona...

hey, if you can't laugh... well just weep...... :-X :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:19:50 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 06:15:28 pm »

After a lot of years of "I'll get around to it", today "I got around to it".
        I drilled and pinned my bags today.  :great:

MOB, are ya proud of me?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 06:47:50 pm »

After a lot of years of "I'll get around to it", today "I got around to it".
        I drilled and pinned my bags today.  :great:

MOB, are ya proud of me?

Ride safe, Ted

:-\
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com