Author Topic: Rear brake pads crumbling?  (Read 537 times)

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
  • Membership Level: Active
Rear brake pads crumbling?
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:14:14 pm »
What a strange thing. I've changed I don't know how many hundred brake pads, but don't recall ever seeing what I am seeing. My pads are EBC Double H Sintered and I pulled my rear pads as I noticed some carbon and discoloring on my rear rotor. When I got them out, one of them had the whole side of it crumbled away. And was pitted in places on the face of the pad from crumbling. The other side was pitted with crumbling. They otherwise looked pretty normal, if maybe a little too shiny.

Besides defective pads or some such thing, anyone seen this? I'm replacing them just because, and though I've had good luck with EBC before this is giving me pause. Thoughts?
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 26,000 and counting

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
Re: Rear brake pads crumbling?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 07:40:20 pm »
What a strange thing. I've changed I don't know how many hundred brake pads, but don't recall ever seeing what I am seeing. My pads are EBC Double H Sintered and I pulled my rear pads as I noticed some carbon and discoloring on my rear rotor. When I got them out, one of them had the whole side of it crumbled away. And was pitted in places on the face of the pad from crumbling. The other side was pitted with crumbling. They otherwise looked pretty normal, if maybe a little too shiny.

Besides defective pads or some such thing, anyone seen this? I'm replacing them just because, and though I've had good luck with EBC before this is giving me pause. Thoughts?

Hmmm, wow ... I've not seen or witnessed this as (like you) have used EBC pads on numerous bikes over the years.

Sorry, I can't help, but maybe another here can.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 09:35:17 pm »
Contact EBC, their customer service is great.
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 11:24:28 pm »

something is miss here. have you had both recall upgrades on your rear brakes done on your '08?
sounds like the pads were overheated; severely.... and signs of this would be seen as discoloration on the rear rotor..

see the picture below, with regard to signs of heat damage, resulting from the recall issues...

Before you invest in pads, have a dealership run your VIN thru the Kaw system, to verify that both recalls have been done, and if not, or just one has been done, you can have this fully covered by Kaw, as it was an "open ended lifetime" recall.. notifications should have been sent out to you via thier network. None the less, it's still covered... and you should seek them to completely replace the pads, rotor, and even the rear caliper; the complete caliper... then, the labor and fluids, and all costs involved, thru a certified Kaw franchise.. they get paid from Kaw to do all this..    I had this issue, and that's how I can say without a doubt what they will do/ and have been stated as the complete "repair" when this issue came up.

EBC's, in general, have always been the highest quality pad made, but I suppose some glitch could have occurred in manufacturing.. I suggest packing them up, and sending them to EBC... I am positive they will replace them, and compensate you for the effort.
Contact them via customer service, and via phone, here thru USA channels, and they will probably give you a 'prepaid shipping authorization... use it... and definitely report back to us the outcome.

To give you more back ground, the issues were from the fact that a "small pebble/stone/piece of road debris" could be thrown up into the linkage to the rear master actuator/pedal assembly, and "lock" the assembly to a point where the lever did not return fully, thus "keeping the rear brake applied"... many instances, as I found on my bike, this was not noticed until the rear disc was glowing red hot, and began to slow the bike down... which is how I noticed mine, flicking the foot pedal a couple times aggressively, and allow it to "fling", would dislodge the offending pebble, but then.. after that.. there were zero brakes/or greatly reduced quality.. I limped back to my home, about 7 miles, after travelling 7 miles while it originally occurred, well, I knew it occurred about 5 miles away, and flicked the pedal, and the stone popped out, but I was 'on a mission', so I continued and returned, safely at that. I did have to "trailer my bike" to my dealership, luckily I had a close friend with a trailer, but everything else was completely covered.

more references;
http://www.arfc.org/motorcycles/kawasaki/concours_14/recalls/000047373001449776000000273/recall.aspx
http://www.arfc.org/motorcycles/kawasaki/concours_14/recalls/000047373000303629000000062/recall.aspx
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:05:15 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 01:53:25 am »
oh, Brian, I got your p/m, and if you have difficulties whatsoever, in getting a reliable Kaw dealership to assist, let me know.. i will offer my time to make sure you have been assisted..  :great:

ride safe,

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 02:24:14 pm »
 :character0029: :017: :popcorn:

Monitoring this to see what develops.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Moped
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 09:47:28 pm »
Hi gang,
Well I called today and evidently the brake recall had been done on my bike just before I bought it back in 2016. They said it was a rear master cylinder recall MC12-05. So assuming that is true, I sent a message to EBC today to see what they say about the cause and any warranty. I'll keep you posted.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 11:52:46 pm »
there were 2 recall's, did they tell you both had been done?
my recall notices are on my other machine, I'll dig them up to see which yours complies to.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 06:01:14 pm »
The recall on the 08 and 09 model year had nothing to do with the master cylinder but rather the brake linkage. The problem was rocks would get in between the rear brake linkage and the frame. This would cause the rear brake to not to completely release. The result was a damaged rear rotor which was indicated by turning blue.

The 1st recall on the brake linkage was to install a guard over the linkage. Ha! didn't work. Still had rear rotors burning up.

The 2nd recall actually fixed the problem. New linkage was installed. It was round so no rocks could stay on top of the linkage and get wedged between the linkage and the frame.

If you have a rear rotor turning blue then I would bet your linkage is not round. The 2nd recall should be preformed. That along with a new rotor and pad. Changing the brake fluid probably would be in order as well.

Now, there has been a problem with the ABS motor locking the rear brake up as well. If the brake pedal is stiff and not moveable the solution is getting another ABS motor. It appears the best way to keep the ABS motor happy is regular brake fluid changes. I know the brake fluid on the first time I flushed the rear brake the fluid that came out was dirty and appeared to have tiny pieces of rubber in suspension. The second and subsequence fluid flushes have been clear but slightly discolored as brake fluid does.

I also believe an occasional ABS activation helps keep the internals of the motor free.  I find a gravel road and hit the rear brake and let it activate a few seconds.  If you don't have an ABS model then don't worry.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:09:19 pm by TimR »
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 06:12:15 pm »
Thanks for sharing recall details TimR !
David L. Hamil

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 06:46:32 pm »
i had posted both recall notices in the tech area...
you can download and read them, and see visually which you may have currently...

http://forum.cog-online.org/wheels-tires-suspension-and-brakes-64/

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 07:16:04 pm »
i had posted both recall notices in the tech area...
you can download and read them, and see visually which you may have currently...

http://forum.cog-online.org/wheels-tires-suspension-and-brakes-64/

:great:; thank you!
David L. Hamil

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Moped
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 08:29:39 pm »
To button up this thread for now from my OP, I got replacement pads from EBC promptly and without issue. Great service. I was told by the dealer I called that the system showed I had no outstanding recalls on my VIN number. Thanks so much everyone!

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Moped
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 08:40:11 pm »
Oh, and those PDF posts from MOB are awesome! Many thanks.