Author Topic: Final Drive Leak, Are They All The Same?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Jes

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 3157
  • Membership Level: Active
Final Drive Leak, Are They All The Same?
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:30:03 pm »
Hello everyone.

The final drive on my 2008 C14 developed a considerable leak this week on my way home from a trip to Yellowstone. I was losing about 50ml every 300miles.

I’d like to buy a used final drive to fix the bike for now and then take my time and rebuild my original one.

Are the final drives the same across all C14 model years? From the eBay ads I’m not seeing a consensus for which final drives will fit my 2008 C14.

Kind regards

Jesal

2008 C14 "Duchess"
COG #3157

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Final Drive Leak, Are They All The Same?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 09:04:53 pm »
ALL years are common,and interchange; did you overfill it? or have you found where it's actually leaking from?

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jes

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 09:31:51 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply! That really helps my eBay search.

I don’t believe I over filled it. I haven’t taken the final drive off of the bike to inspect it yet. It’ll be a messy job. I figure I’ll swap it out for another final drive and clean up the wheel and tire so I can ride the bike and turn left with confidence. As a winter project I’ll inspect the leaking one and order the parts needed to rebuild it.

Cheers

Jes
2008 C14 "Duchess"
COG #3157

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:30:56 pm »
Your leak is probably one of two "O" rings. Get an FSM and replace them. Won't need to rebuild much. I have often thought a spare final drive would be handy to have on the shelf. I discovered I had a final drive leak on my 09 the night before leaving for the 1013 National in Idaho Falls.  Borrowed a friends bike which is another story. The final drive was repaired under the extended warranty when I got back.

Replacing one "O" ring doesn't look to bad to do. The other appears to be a little more involved. Good luck.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Bud

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 12:32:57 am »
Final drives are cheap on ebay.  Think we got one for $50 with 18k miles IIRC.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 09:58:04 am »
For the time spent removing and replacing with a spare, I'd think it'd be more time and cost efficient simply to remove the original and replace the seal(s).  But that's just me.

And as for ME.....I'd take it to the dealership and get it repaired under my extended warranty!  ;D

But I get you have your reasons.  No judgement.

Good luck, and keep us posted as you work through that.

**Btw -- Isn't riding through Yellowstone this time of year somewhat Risky, weather-wise???**
I did it 6 years ago, and got hailed / rained / snowed on!!

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Phil

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 04:05:31 pm »
For the time spent removing and replacing with a spare, I'd think it'd be more time and cost efficient simply to remove the original and replace the seal(s).  But that's just me.

And as for ME.....I'd take it to the dealership and get it repaired under my extended warranty!  ;D

But I get you have your reasons.  No judgement.

Good luck, and keep us posted as you work through that.

**Btw -- Isn't riding through Yellowstone this time of year somewhat Risky, weather-wise???**
I did it 6 years ago, and got hailed / rained / snowed on!!

gr

It's a 2008. Even with all the extensions, the warranty  would be done.

Offline Jes

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 03:13:37 am »
Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

I ended up getting a final gear case off of a 2013 from eBay. $55USD final cost delivered to me. It was easy to swap out, I put a new rear tire on at the same time. I’ve done 100miles or so and there are no signs of leaking with the replacement final gear case.

Winter will settle into Calgary and end my riding season any day now. When that happens I’ll look into replacing the seals in my original final gear case.

(Early observations) It appears that the front seal is leaking around the pinion nut. All the moly grease is gone and the splines are wet with gear oil. There is a pile of heavy grease and dirt caked on the bottom. I guess the rubber bellows doesn’t keep this area very clean. The propeller shaft was dry so there isn’t oil leaking from the front bevel gears. The ring gear seal isn’t leaking, there is only the usual grease in the area where the wheel fits onto the splines.

Cheers
2008 C14 "Duchess"
COG #3157

Offline Nate

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 13067
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 05:06:42 pm »
That o-ring around the drive shaft splines, which goes into that slip joint, seems to be back ordered everywhere I look, and it is what appears to be letting gear oil past it into the area the rubber boot protects from dirt. 

Offline Jes

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 06:42:38 pm »
The gear oil appears to be coming through around the pinion nut and washer (92210 and 92200). I figure the gear oil is leaking past the seal (92049). I believe the o-ring (92055) is there to keep the grease on the spline in place and clean, and maybe to dampen movement between the splines where they meet up.
2008 C14 "Duchess"
COG #3157

Offline IBAJIM

• Moped
  • COG#: 12891
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 09:22:45 pm »
Jes :  How many miles on your Concours ?
IBA # 35372  BBG (5-2014)
Great Lakes 100  (2011 & 2019) 
All Other GRT LKS Rides x2  (2012-2018)
BB1500's x3  All Yooperland SS1K ( 2019)
Other SS1K's x8  (2009-2017)

Offline Jes

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 10:42:44 pm »
Jes :  How many miles on your Concours ?

It’s a 2008 with about 38,000 miles on it. (61,000km).

Cheers
2008 C14 "Duchess"
COG #3157

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 10:44:31 pm »
oops sorry, we hit the post button simultaneously.. you have more mile on it now.

Offline AZconserv

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 06:51:32 pm »
Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

I ended up getting a final gear case off of a 2013 from eBay. $55USD final cost delivered to me. It was easy to swap out, I put a new rear tire on at the same time. I’ve done 100miles or so and there are no signs of leaking with the replacement final gear case.

Winter will settle into Calgary and end my riding season any day now. When that happens I’ll look into replacing the seals in my original final gear case.

(Early observations) It appears that the front seal is leaking around the pinion nut. All the moly grease is gone and the splines are wet with gear oil. There is a pile of heavy grease and dirt caked on the bottom. I guess the rubber bellows doesn’t keep this area very clean. The propeller shaft was dry so there isn’t oil leaking from the front bevel gears. The ring gear seal isn’t leaking, there is only the usual grease in the area where the wheel fits onto the splines.

Cheers

Please let me know if I should have posted a new thread but seemed correct to continue on your post.

My '13 w/ 38k miles seems to have developed the same leak you're describing. Leaking from the front o-ring into the boot and running down/back. I found it after about a 200 mile fairly easy ride and it sat overnight. Fluid wasn't low at all but I'm of course scared to ride until I fix it.

That being said, I took the Ebay route as well and found a used on for $40, should be here in a few days. I've never had one off but it looks pretty cut & dry. Any tips or recommendations? What did you use to grease the splines?

I searched and couldn't find much for the remove/install. I did watch Steve's video. The best video I've found so far is the one linked below, looks pretty straight forward. Any help/tips is appreciated.

https://youtu.be/aIL_9iEvvIE

Cheers! :beerchug:

2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Current obsession)
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (Sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (Sold)

Offline Jes

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 12:43:26 pm »
Hello

Removal of the final drive is easy, just unbolt it. You might want to drain the oil from it before you remove it from the motorcycle.

I found “moly extreme pressure grease” at Canadian Tire to use on the splines. It’s sticky so it should stay put ok. I cleaned up the splines before applying the grease.

The final drive unit is heavy. I found the hardest part of the installation was getting the unit lined up correctly while positioning the spring that sits loose and goes between the final drive and prop shaft. It would have been easier with two people. One person to hold the unit in place and another to make sure the spring is positioned correctly while starting the bolts by hand.

Cheers

Jes
2008 C14 "Duchess"
COG #3157

Offline AZconserv

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 05:25:39 pm »
Hello

Removal of the final drive is easy, just unbolt it. You might want to drain the oil from it before you remove it from the motorcycle.

I found “moly extreme pressure grease” at Canadian Tire to use on the splines. It’s sticky so it should stay put ok. I cleaned up the splines before applying the grease.

The final drive unit is heavy. I found the hardest part of the installation was getting the unit lined up correctly while positioning the spring that sits loose and goes between the final drive and prop shaft. It would have been easier with two people. One person to hold the unit in place and another to make sure the spring is positioned correctly while starting the bolts by hand.

Cheers

Jes

Thanks - I thought it looked fairly straight forward. That was also my logic in just ordering a used unit instead of trying to replace seals and such. Now I'll have a back-up to rebuild if needed. Thanks again for the information.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Current obsession)
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (Sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (Sold)