Author Topic: Clutch Insights  (Read 744 times)

Offline barberman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Clutch Insights
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:58:08 pm »
Morning,  My 2012 14 has had that pesky, P.I.T.A. clutch bleeding problem since I bought it last March.  I did like 6 complete flushes, and bled like I was gonna' bleed out doing it. Two things I noticed were when I'd pull the clutch in -in gear, and revved it slightly, i could hear the driveline getting power (wanting to pull) Indicating more bleeding... I also noticed a bit of a "bump" when releasing the clutch on a downshift or hard excell. So after reading here that the clutch leaf torque springs may be compromised, I decided to open it up and replace them. But after close inspection I realized the torque springs weren't broken at all.  Well, when you remove the clutch cover inside (pressure plate) - the pressure is released from the clutch push rod and hydraulic pressure wants to push it out farther than normal.   Turned out that after pushing it back in a couple times (then re assembly) the clutch pressure was totally gone. So I bleed the top res. bleeder and get nothing. So I bleed the lower clutch slave cylinder -ONE pump, and the clutch comes back firmer than I've ever felt it. Now that little bump I used to feel is gone. And the clutch dragging is gone totally.  SO, my conclusion here is that I believe that slave cylinder can hold air more than regular bleeding can remove (even w/ a pump!). KJ

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Clutch Insights
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:47:46 pm »
Glad you got it worked out but im wondering if the slave was sticking on you. I mean maybe the piston wasn't going all the way back and after your pushing on the it from the other side via the rod it unstuck.
2016 C-14

Offline barberman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Clutch Insights
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:49:22 pm »
Strum, Sounds good to me. Thanks,KJ