Author Topic: Rear caliper rubbing on disc, wheel not in frame properly?  (Read 591 times)

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Rear caliper rubbing on disc, wheel not in frame properly?
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:56 pm »
I stand corrected.
Concave, not warped?
 I don't recall ever hearing of that before..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 11:40:29 pm »
wonder if the tire installer bent the rotor?

Never ever heard of this before, but we did have a C14 guy a long time ago stating that his front brake lever was always limp and he had to pump it up the get the front brake to work while riding. Turned out to be  a bent rotor caused during a tire change.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 12:28:36 am »
Yeah...how the hell did this happen? Would have been hella noticeable before changing tire, if you ever use rear brake or just it needing to move. Could have overheated the pads and the crumbling occurred. Oh sweet mystery of bikes at last you've found me!!!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 01:01:28 am »
well, back when I mentioned about overheating of the rear disc, and thee crumbling of the pads and such, coupled with that last picture showing the extreme blueing color of the disc, like the ones i originally responded with of my own... it seems clear now...

If that rotor warped that badly, and again as I noted in my original post about the brake recall, and all of the stuff i went thru... I'd be rebuilding that caliper also... as ll of those seals saw the same temperatures it took, to warp that rotor.. this was in fact, a case relating to the defect in engineering, that caused both recalls... and sorry to say now, it was clearly evident (now seeing the blue color on the rotor) it should have been the burden of Kaw, to cover it all... the recall was  "non time/mile" thing, and was to be covered for the life of the bike. When I posted the pictures of my rotor, I had hoped to see something telling me yours were not over heated... that never happened.
Hindsight is pretty clear now.
glad you fond the issue, now seek compensation from Kaw.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12507
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 03:33:10 am »
I just got home and took off the rotor and here are pictures. It looks to be a full .25" off the plane. I have no idea when or how this happened. Under my watch, I have never had any troubles with the rear until the recent change of pads that noticed the EBC crumbling that I posted on separately. Now that looks like it could be related to an overheating issue. But why did my pads before not have this trouble? I have done nothing to that rotor, use my rear brakes as often as most Connie folks, which is to say often but lightly, and when I change my tires I'm on carpet and exert nothing resembling a force sufficient to bend metal.

So if as MOB fears it is the fault of Kawi for not changing out the rotor at the time of the original recall work, then I've been driving on that for about 20,000 miles. One of the recalls is to place a new stone guard on the push rods, and though the dealership told me all recalls had been done, I've looked on my bike and there is no stone guard of any type. But now my bike is not rideable. Am I going to have the dealership tow my bike there and ask them to do all this? That doesn't sound possible at this stage.

I'm glad I've entertained everyone with a bizarre example of rotor damage. In all my years of wrenching I've only ever seen warped rotors, never one uniformly and smoothly bent in one direction.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 26,000 and counting

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 03:38:05 am »
And I'll add that if the warping was due to any blunt trauma or force from being placed on the ground or anything on that side, wouldn't it be bent the other direction! Away from the outside? It also seems to me that if the brakes were dragging on the inside, if that side was heated when the other wasn't, then you could get metal expansion on the inside that would possibly push the warm side to the outside as it is. We can only speculate.

For what it is worth, the caliper pistons operate smoothly, the rubber looks pristine and yet I agree with MOB that anything that may have experienced that much heat is suspect.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:48:57 am by Salish14, Reason: typo »

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 12:33:49 pm »
I dont know which direction mine was bent or how much but I am sure it was from a minor accidental hit while mounting a new tire. I knew it right away as I always give the wheel a few rotations to check for smoothness whenever I re-install a wheel.  I believe the second recall for the brake rod  deleted the shield from the first recall(which was ineffective) and installed a round shaped, machined rod bracket in place of the square, folded, flat steel bracket which was catching the pebbles.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 02:00:47 pm »
I've never seem one warped like that either.
Does it appear to be blued? Were the pads worn to match the angle?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:02 pm »
I've never seem one warped like that either.
Does it appear to be blued? Were the pads worn to match the angle?

Ride safe, Ted

Yes, the rotor was discolored, which i hadn't noticed before (which by itself baffles me as I have to believe I would have noticed that in all my work on the bike, or if it happened more recently, how the hell?), and yet the prior pads were having crumbling issues but not worn in any clear pattern. Anyway, I'm happy to put this behind me.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 01:40:59 am »
well, the pads clearly crumbled due to being "cooked", the "blue" rotor was at that time surely visible as 'not normal"...

the brake recalls, both of them, are here, make sure the latest one applies... as I say, if it wasn't done... it's on Kaw...

http://forum.cog-online.org/wheels-tires-suspension-and-brakes-64/

download and compare...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 03:42:06 pm »
Thanks again MOB. Yes, the latest brake recall was done. It has the new push rod and no guard anymore. So either the disc had been warped from before any repairs, or something bizarre has happened. I don't ride my darn rear brake, and hardly use the thing except lightly and as part of normal OP. I'm an MSF instructor so it is just impossible to not maintain the habit of lightly touching the rear when I come to a stop :)