Author Topic: Rear Diff Oil Change Tool  (Read 1832 times)

Offline David W -C14

• Big Wheels
Rear Diff Oil Change Tool
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:19:00 pm »
I am having trouble getting the rear Oil fill cap/nut off the rear cavity. Are there any special tools required?

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:00 pm »
No special tool required.    Take care as the cap is not that strong and its pretty easy to break if you over torque it. Ask Slybones! :)    As long as you have the correct size socket and a breaker bar it will undo, you may want to have someone brace the bike just in case.    Colin Prior  Cogmos Administrator  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767  
Selling my ZGRX - C10 with a ZRX1200 Engine - Details Here
Colin Prior

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:17:00 pm »
Colin, Are you talking C10 or 14?  I was about to answer till I noticed what thread this is in.  I was not sure but I hope someone will be along soon that is.  ----------------------------------  South Central Area Director  Email scad@cog-online.org    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7011
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:56:00 pm »
David,,Do you have a C-10 or C-14??     I live about 20 min from you and have plenty of tools, call or PM me and maybe I can come by and help.             Norm    Edit to add: I just checked your profile and its a C-14,,let me know if I can help.  CT AAD  COG #7011-A  2003 Concours-Mary Ann  1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes    
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:59:00 pm by norm9688 »

Offline David W -C14

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:11:00 pm »
Sorry guys on the Bike, I know have a C14 08'. The rear Diff Cap/Nut is a heavy modled Platic nut that has a single slot in it. I did not want to mar the opening with a narrow screw driver, so I tried a wide circular saw blade tool. but it just bends the tool.    Any help would be appreciated.    Also the color of the fluid I am getting out if Black dark green, it almost appears it was changed at teh 500 mile mantenance.  

Offline Finesse

• Training Wheels
  • With a one way ticket to the land of truth
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:35:00 pm »
That filler plug is supposed to be torqued to 18 inch pounds. That is one and one half foot pounds. Should be very easy to remove. Unfortunately hamfisted grunts like the one that overtorqued mine would rather give it all they got instead of looking it up. The slot looks really nice all deformed now.  

Offline Bob

• Bob
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1398
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:40:00 pm »
A quarter in vicegrips worked for me. I would guess a large washer would work also.  Bob Skinner  COG1398  

Offline David W -C14

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 11:20:00 am »
Thak you all for the help. I eventually had to use a long wide flat hear screw driver at an angle to get it to budge. I did mar it a bit, but will replace later.    David  

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:02:00 pm »
fyi  a hefty sized flat washer that fills the groove fully, and a pair of channel locks is the combo for those not wanting to invest in the $20 tool from MotionPro.    Rich Riczinger  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...