Author Topic: Rear Preload and Fob (yes, I will link these two into the same post)  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum Subsc
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
I bought extra emergency fobs today and the dealer was too swamped to program them.  I've read that there's a serial number to be associated with these and I could not find anything in the packaging that indicated a serial number.  They were individually wrapped in Kawasaki parts bags and had the part number on them.  The parts guys were not sure of the serial number and will make a call.  First question:  Is there indeed a serial number included with these that is needed for programming and where/how is it typically included (on separate paper, on fob, etc)?

Also, I wanted to play with the rear preload and noticed the black knob does not move at all.  I didn't want to force it too much for fear of breaking it.  While at the dealer, I went up to three floor models to test and the knobs moved with a little effort and clicked with each portion of a turn.  Is this something I should be ginger about turning?  If it is locked is this something that would normally be covered under warranty?

TIA,

Alf

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Rear Preload and Fob (yes, I will link these two into the same post)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:33:36 pm »
The code is on the original bad that the fob was shipped in but according to Cory (he goes by Rembrant here) you do not need any code to program the bike to recognize RFID types fobs, which is what 'emergency' fobs are. These fobs only work when held up against the ignition switch housing; if you have RF fobs that work at any distance away from the bike, then you do need that unique number that was on the original package. It does not appear anywhere on the fob so without the original packaging, another bike cannot be coded to recognize an RF type fob.

By the way, the fobs are not programmed, the bike is programmed to recognize them. Same thing with the TPS wheel sensors- the bike is coded to recognize them; the sensors themselves are not programmed.

Yes, the rear preload knob should turn easily. They sometimes seize though. And yes, if the bike is under warranty, that would certainly be a warranty item. You may have to push a bit harder to get it to move in the first place but it should move easily once moved at all. If it remains stiff (easy boys!) or will not move at all, a dealer should fix this at no charge to you.

Brian

I bought extra emergency fobs today and the dealer was too swamped to program them.  I've read that there's a serial number to be associated with these and I could not find anything in the packaging that indicated a serial number.  They were individually wrapped in Kawasaki parts bags and had the part number on them.  The parts guys were not sure of the serial number and will make a call.  First question:  Is there indeed a serial number included with these that is needed for programming and where/how is it typically included (on separate paper, on fob, etc)?

Also, I wanted to play with the rear preload and noticed the black knob does not move at all.  I didn't want to force it too much for fear of breaking it.  While at the dealer, I went up to three floor models to test and the knobs moved with a little effort and clicked with each portion of a turn.  Is this something I should be ginger about turning?  If it is locked is this something that would normally be covered under warranty?

TIA,

Alf
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:44:14 pm »
The code is on the original bad that the fob was shipped in but according to Cory (he goes by Rembrant here) you do not need any code to program the bike to recognize RFID types fobs, which is what 'emergency' fobs are. These fobs only work when held up against the ignition switch housing; if you have RF fobs that work at any distance away from the bike, then you do need that unique number that was on the original package. It does not appear anywhere on the fob so without the original packaging, another bike cannot be coded to recognize an RF type fob.

Yup, what BDF said.

Spare FOB: Kawi #21175-0256 will not require a code to register.
Main KeyFOB: Kawi #21175-0726 WILL require a code to register. (Previously Kawi #21175-0296).

However, code or no code, don't throw away any of your packaging until after they're done.

If you're having a new Spare FOB registered, then the existing one(s) you have will also have to be re-registered. They should all be done at the same time. You can check the operation of all of them before you leave the dealer. (You can't check the 'emergency' operation of the main KeyFOB unless you remove the KeyFOB battery.)

HTH,
Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:09:59 pm »
That makes sense.  The bike is programmed to recognize the spares and there's no identifying information other than their RFID, which is programmed into the bike.  Thanks. 

I'll try to work the rear preload with a a little more umph and see what happens.  I have to make another trip to the dealer for programming anyway.  They can check it if I can't get it to move.

Alf

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:14:52 pm »
Alf,
I had to have my rear shock assembly replaced (under warranty) after the preload adjuster seized on it.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:53:37 am »
OK, it's not seized up.  I removed the bag and had more leverage.  It was dialed all the way to hard and I could adjust it.