Author Topic: removing heat deflectors  (Read 371 times)

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
  • Membership Level: Active
removing heat deflectors
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:11:13 pm »
my 2009 has the heat deflectors on the side of the bike just in front of your legs.  If I remove these, I'd just get some more heat on my legs right?

as the weather starts to get cooler here in WI, I'm thinking about cooler weather riding, and I'm tempted to pop these off until late spring to keep my legs warmer.

Anyone do this?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: removing heat deflectors
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:48:43 pm »
Yep... mine have been off since I did my valves a few years ago.. no complaints...
Take a close look at the inner surface of them when you pull them off... there is a foam block in each side, that "should" have an additional screw, to replace the long one you remove when taking them off... they were common on the 08-09 fairings, but at some point they stopped installing them for free...
Those screws replace the long ones up top.

Let us know if yours are there... :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline fordtruck

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12172
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:31:09 pm »
My 09 does not have the foam blocks or bolts on the back side of the deflectors. 
2009 Black C14
1977 KZ1000
2012 KLX250s

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:15:16 pm »
My 09 does not have the foam blocks or bolts on the back side of the deflectors. 
+1.
I posted some time ago if anyone had the part # of those replacement bolts. I did check Ron Ayers but didn't find anything. MOB, by any chance have you got the number? TYIA..

Norm
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:39:27 pm »
+1.
I posted some time ago if anyone had the part # of those replacement bolts. I did check Ron Ayers but didn't find anything. MOB, by any chance have you got the number? TYIA..

Norm

Don't have a p/n handy, as they were an "invisible gift" from mama kaw on the first 08's to hit the shore, mine being one of the first ones.. 7/7/07...
I'll dig thru my stuff, and find the length, but I don't think it will relate as those bolts had nylon washers, and a spefific head design like the other fairing bolt, with a barrel section under the flanged head...
I figure em out shortly.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 12:14:55 pm »
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/Motorcycle/2009/ZG1400A9F+Concours+14+ABS/COWLING+%28CENTER%29/parts.html

partzilla shows some of the parts.  I wonder if the shorter 35mm ones for the top would be the size you'd need for the bottom after removing the deflector. 

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:08 pm »
Bolt depot has any bolt you need that matches the Kaw bolts and you can buy in quantity. Shipping is a little steep but buy a bunch at one time. Then you don't have to look up Kaw p/n for bolts.

https://www.boltdepot.com/

BTW my experience when removing the deflectors is my legs were colder in cold weather.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »
Yep, I have them also but only the early '08's are supplied with them. The later '08's and all '09's lack those screws that used to be supplied inside the fairing.

Brian

Yep... mine have been off since I did my valves a few years ago.. no complaints...
Take a close look at the inner surface of them when you pull them off... there is a foam block in each side, that "should" have an additional screw, to replace the long one you remove when taking them off... they were common on the 08-09 fairings, but at some point they stopped installing them for free...
Those screws replace the long ones up top.

Let us know if yours are there... :great:
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com