Author Topic: Replacing engine bracket bolts or not  (Read 831 times)

Offline Ethan

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Replacing engine bracket bolts or not
« on: June 16, 2012, 02:37:30 am »
Kawasaki recommends (I think more than that) the engine bracket bolts to be replaced if they are removed. Why can't we just apply a non-permanent locking agent and move on for the first removal at least?
What is the logic behind it?

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Replacing engine bracket bolts or not
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 03:05:54 am »
They recommend to change the hardware because the thread locker is applied to the new bolts and that is the only way to get that type of thread locker. Using new bolts is most mfg's method of assuring a clean bolt is used with the correct thread locking material.

Yes, you can clean the bolts and use an aftermarket thread locking agent with loctite being he best known but other brands such as Permetex will also work. Most of the hardware on the bike does not even need any thread locking material anyway. Proper tightening will keep a fastener from backing out under vibration (not over-tightened, just correctly and modestly tightened).

Brian

Kawasaki recommends (I think more than that) the engine bracket bolts to be replaced if they are removed. Why can't we just apply a non-permanent locking agent and move on for the first removal at least?
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Ethan

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 03:10:16 am »
They recommend to change the hardware because the thread locker is applied to the new bolts and that is the only way to get that type of thread locker. Using new bolts is most mfg's method of assuring a clean bolt is used with the correct thread locking material.

Yes, you can clean the bolts and use an aftermarket thread locking agent with loctite being he best known but other brands such as Permetex will also work. Most of the hardware on the bike does not even need any thread locking material anyway. Proper tightening will keep a fastener from backing out under vibration (not over-tightened, just correctly and modestly tightened).

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Yeah, I follow the specified torque tightening and was just wondering if there was another reason that I might have been missing for the replacement. Cleaning and applying a locktite would save me time and a few bucks.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:59:20 am »
I replaced 3 of the 6 bolts when I did my valve lash because they were pretty chewed up...but the rest I just tossed back in and torqued,   Didn't even use threadlocker,  I'll check them next time I have the fairing off, but I would be willing to bet they didn't budge :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Ethan

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:25:52 am »
I replaced 3 of the 6 bolts when I did my valve lash because they were pretty chewed up...but the rest I just tossed back in and torqued,   Didn't even use threadlocker,  I'll check them next time I have the fairing off, but I would be willing to bet they didn't budge :)

Was it the first time you've removed them?