Author Topic: Ridiculous Right Side Seat Panel Issue  (Read 593 times)

Offline cyberswine

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Ridiculous Right Side Seat Panel Issue
« on: April 15, 2017, 05:54:04 pm »
OK, I tried searching, frustration level in the red zone.  Long story short, I'm playing with LEDs and want to change the flasher unit on my 2015 Connie.  My bad, my manual is for gen 1, instructions say remove screws blah blah, then remove the three quick rivets under the panel and lift it off.  Well they don't seem to be the usual quick rivets, they look the same but the core is a metal phillips head screw.  I've been real gentle but the screws just rotate (either way) and do not depress.  I can't see any way to get under the frame tube to get at the interior..... HOW do I get these out?  I'm the original owner, they've never been touched and they are all the same.  Feeling pretty dumb right now!

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Ridiculous Right Side Seat Panel Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 06:28:00 pm »
The flasher is under the right side tail section,
You need to remove, the panel in front of the rear rack, 2 4mm allen screws, 14mm allen screw under the right side of the seat.
As well as 3 plastic screw rivits under the panel!
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline cyberswine

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:30:01 pm »
Thank you GixerHP but it's those three screw rivets that I'm having the problem with.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:30:08 pm »
Those are a real p.I.t.a. to get out, I really had an issue with them also, and still can't figure a "correct" method....
I'm not sure what the new model uses, I have an '08...
When I removed mine, I ended up using a long screwdriver placed against the inside of the center barb from the backside, and whacked it with my hand, to push the barbs out...when I reassembled them, I just pushed the body in, and smacked the center pin in to flare them...

The screwdriver tip on the rivet baffles me, because they do not unscrew, ever, even while prying up on them...
A real pain.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline cyberswine

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 09:40:14 pm »
Thanks MOB, now I know they are just a type of pop/push/quick rivet I'm thinking I'll go out tomorrow morning, put a screwdriver in the phillips head and give that a love tap with my favorite blunt instrument to try and drive the center inward.  Without breaking the plastic. :popcorn:

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:57:57 pm »
OK,
Take it or leave it. I just went outside and verified what you are talking about. The three screws that come through the bottom of the side panel and the inner fender skirting.
These ARE screws. They will unscrew but only if you are using super light pressure with the screwdriver tip. If you are pushing the tip in firmly it will not allow the screw to come out. These are use in cars as well and they can be quite a pain in the butt at times.
The screws as from the factory are NOT metal but the same plastic as the rest of the rivets are made of.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline NukeWorker

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11420
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »
I JUST did this on mine, when adding LED Aux lights.  Those things are a huge pain  >:(. Like mattchewn said, they are threaded. Not really screws and not really pop-in rivets, but some kind of bastard child of both.  The center part (which is plastic) screws our, allowing the arms to relax and move inward like the pop-in rivets. This is the part number: 92039-1256 RIVET. Ask me how I know  :hum: ? I wound up having to drill 1 out, and another, the screw 'head' was so destroyed I needed to replace it as well.  Good luck  :great:
2013 Concours 14 Black
Previous Bikes:
2002 V-Star 1100 Classic Silverado
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline cyberswine

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 01:28:57 pm »
All right then.  Thanks gentlemen for saving me from whacking something that should not be whacked :)   For the record and for anyone else running into this I suspect everyone's mileage might vary.  I tried the zero pressure screw thing, then added a little downward pressure on the outer body with a dental pick, then more with a flat blade.  In the end I muscled them out with brute force, no damage done and I should be able to re-use them for lack of an alternative to hand.
Sometimes, I dunno, sometimes...........

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »
Knowing how things like this come to be, I suspect the sequence of events went something like this;

The original designer specified a fastener that was easy to use and reuse, but cost an extra nickel.

The "Design to Cost" group found this poorly designed part shown off by a vendor, and said "look at this, it works perfect here at my desk, and saves a nickel every place we use it!  It's GREAT!  We'll get the "standardized parts group to specify it.  We can't just let engineering specify whatever they want, that's too expensive.'' 

When engineering found out about the change, they complained bitterly, but it was too late, 200,000 parts were already on order, with a huge cancellation charge written into the contract by the vendor.

We poor suckers must live with the consequences.

But hey
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 06:27:32 pm »
If you read my posting again, you will see that when I said I used a screwdriver and whacked them, I also noted I did this from the BACK side, and pushed the center pin outwards...
I tried to make that clear, I guess it sounded confusing...
And originally I tried all measures of "lightly" attempting to unscrew them, and also used a dental pick to pry up on the screw head during the attempt

I have no idea why they simply didn't use the same type push pin rivet they used elswhere on the bike... would have been a logical choice to keep all the hardware common...
Doh.. >:(

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline NukeWorker

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11420
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 09:54:06 am »
Think they might be a different size hole.  Now, why the hole is a differnt size, that's a different question  ::)
2013 Concours 14 Black
Previous Bikes:
2002 V-Star 1100 Classic Silverado
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline cyberswine

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:12:43 am »
It's all good MOB, your post was clear and your solution is clearly good.  My near mistake was to try punching the screw core inward like the regular quick rivets and that would have been disastrous.  Force them out from the inside, outside or drill 'em, whatever works......