Author Topic: Right angle valve stems for late model TPMS  (Read 342 times)

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12548
  • Membership Level: Active
Right angle valve stems for late model TPMS
« on: July 23, 2018, 06:50:06 pm »
I know there was a right angle valve stem that would fit the early model TPMS units, but has anyone found a stem that fits the newer TPMS unit? Thanks!
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Right angle valve stems for late model TPMS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 11:15:44 am »
^^^I understand your frustration, I put a 90deg on my rear and it really helps A LOT...not such a big deal in the front, but the rear is very much worth it. I have a Honda PN home for the 90deg adapters that I bought, but alas, I have a 2009 so I cannot help if the newer TPMS won't work. I know they make the adapters that screw on externally, but then you should probably remove them after filling the tire...

This guy is a BIG help too:

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Fill-Chuck-08-0602/dp/B01CGKI3OG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533039282&sr=8-5&keywords=motorcycle+tire+chuck

...a bit pricey, but you only buy it once.
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:40:09 am »
Gonna subscribe to this, as I'm going to have the old TPMS sensors replaced along with tires next month.

I seem to recall, the newer sensors are sealed, and you cannot add right angle stems due to that fact, unless you do the screw on type.  As NYBIO mentioned, those have to be removed after filling, so not really a great option.

Better off going with the angled air chuck such as the one he linked in.

If anyone knows better, please post up!

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 01:45:24 pm »
After not having any success finding a 90° stem that, with certainty, would fit the TPMS unit, I did end up buying the motion pro 90° air chuck. I had thought about the screw-on 90° adapters, but I was concerned with how much air would be lost in the process of unscrewing it after the fill up. It doesn’t take a lot to drop the front 3 or 4 pounds. In order to use the 90° air chuck from motion pro on the road(the reason I wanted it), I had to put a 1/4” NPT to schraeder valve on it. They’re sold to charge pressure tanks in plumbing systems. Now, I can put it on the tire and put the gas station air chuck on the other end. Not as sweet as a 90 degree valve stem would’ve been, but at least I can put air in the tire without having to unpack my emergency pump.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 01:58:35 pm »
Staylo, (As we all know, the tire chucks you find on the road won't fit the bike)
So, I added a 90* screw-on adapter to my Tool kit and have used it several times on the road.
It looses surprisingly little air when I remove it.
NOTE: I put in extra air before removal and use a pressure gage to lower the pressure to the desired setting.
            Not a perfect solution, but works fine for the road.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:52:56 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:49:38 pm »
Gonna subscribe to this, as I'm going to have the old TPMS sensors replaced along with tires next month.

I seem to recall, the newer sensors are sealed, and you cannot add right angle stems due to that fact, unless you do the screw on type.  As NYBIO mentioned, those have to be removed after filling, so not really a great option.

Better off going with the angled air chuck such as the one he linked in.

If anyone knows better, please post up!

gr

If you have the old sensors, just solder in new batteries and consider yourself lucky to have that option- even if you are getting new replacement sensors under warranty, don't just toss them... you could sell them to a COG'er here. Also, the replacement batteries, with the tabs, are only a couple bucks.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:09:44 pm »
Waaaaaaaay ahead of you.  ;D

Dealership has already agreed to replace under warranty, and let me have the old ones.
Apparently mama Kaw's rule is, warranty parts get "held" at the dealership for 90 days.

What happens after that, if MK doesn't ask for them back, is up to the dealership.  :great:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 06:15:15 pm »

Dealership has already agreed to replace under warranty, and let me have the old ones.
Apparently mama Kaw's rule is, warranty parts get "held" at the dealership for 90 days.

What happens after that, if MK doesn't ask for them back, is up to the dealership.  :great:

gr

Maybe you can get someone here to give you a set of depleted NEW sensors that you can give the dealer instead of the old style ones...don't be surprised if someone here would give you $250 bucks or so for them...having to replace the new style every 3 or 4 years will cost a lot more in the long run, although I've "heard" that the new style sensors last longer than the old style...but I don't know for sure??

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 06:27:48 pm »

gr

best of luck with that dealer, I would jump for joy if you can keep them...
sadly, I've never seen any dealer willing to hand them back to you, they all seem to say they "must" be returned to the factory ( I suppose to prove they actually installed the new ones...).

When I had mine replaced in 2012, they wouldn't let me have my old ones, I even offered to buy them.. for $50... no go... bummed me out.
Good news was tho, they were replaced ( under KPP extended warrenty) with 'new' "old style" ones, and they have been fine so far...  I know I just jinxed myself... 6 years now on mine, these outlasted the originals (4-1/2 years), so I have no complaints, and can do the battery when they die..

:great: :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Gscott

• Bicycle
  • 09 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12413
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 11:24:29 am »
Had my fork seals replaced Kawasaki pays 1.4 hours for 1  side, 1.9 hours for both. Dealer asked if I wanted the sensors changed at the same time, I told I changed the batteries in them and they worked fine (bike is a 09). So he asked if I wanted a set of new sensors in the box so he could get more labor paid to the dealer and mechanic. I asked doesn't Kawasaki want the old sensors was told not really. Ended up with new type sensors with the nuts you must have and my old sensors still in bike.