Author Topic: Rotella T6 formula being changed?  (Read 483 times)

Offline Rico

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12496
  • Membership Level: Active
Rotella T6 formula being changed?
« on: November 17, 2017, 12:33:31 pm »
So I read that Rotella T6 will be coming out in a new formula.  I am not very good when it comes to understanding oil formulas. Question time....
1. Anyone know if the new formula will still work? I heard it might not be good for our clutches.
2. If you use Rotella and are going to change, what will it be?
3. How is everyone doing today?

I read this on a car forum, by the way.
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Rotella T6 formula being changed?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 01:25:36 pm »
I assume you are talking about the new CK-4 formula.  According to the label it still meets the requirements of JASO MA/MA2.  I just changed my oil to the new T6 CK-4 formula for the winter about 800 miles ago,  and have not noticed any difference/performance in shifting or clutch use.   I was using the Rotella T4 15W40 which is my summer oil, but it is also the new CK-4 formula.
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 03:48:37 pm »
The most important thing that fleets need to know about CK-4 oils is that they are fully compatible, and there should be no concern if the two are mixed. “However, full performance benefits of API CK-4 oils will only be realized when the engine is fully transitioned from API CJ-4 to CK-4. The primary benefit will be fuel efficiency, which will help reduce CO2 emissions. However, there are other real performance upgrades that are being introduced as well. API CK-4 will deliver greater oxidation stability to meet the needs of hotter running engines, benefiting not only the new engines, but also existing engines that are running at very heavy-duty cycles.”

“CK-4 will provide significant improvements in wear protection, deposit control, shear stability and oil aeration control,” says Mark Betner, heavy-duty product line manager for Citgo. “These engine oils will also have up to 60% better oxidation resistance compared to API CJ-4, which aids in extended service intervals. CK-4 is designed for both over-the-road and heavy equipment and is also backward compatible. CK-4 engine oils will be a direct replacement for the engine oils fleets are using now,” says Dan Arcy, global OEM technical manager for Shell Lubricants. “You’ll be able to buy the same viscosity grades and oil types [conventional, full synthetic, synthetic blend] you’re using now, and they’ll be ‘backwards compatible’ to all current vehicles."

Source: http://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/demistifying-new-engine-oil-categories-compatibility-ck4-fa4/

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 03:50:22 pm »
This right here
JASO MA/MA2
is the key to ANY oil you use in the C14 or another wet-clutch motorcycle.  The JASO MA/MA2 designation means that it's made without the "friction modifiers" (read that friction REDUCERS) that are commonly added to automotive oils now.  This is what causes issues with the clutches in many bikes.  The oil is too slippery for the clutch to work properly and it will often slip.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 01:52:46 pm »
The new CK-4 spec oil has been out since December 2016. There are no updates to T6 since.  Use it!!!