Author Topic: Rubber scuff protectors on saddlebags  (Read 799 times)

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Rubber scuff protectors on saddlebags
« on: January 11, 2019, 02:38:28 am »
In searching for used Connies I've notice several have rubber scuff protectors on the saddlebags like in this photo.  Personally, I think they're fugly, so would want to remove them if I find a bike that I like otherwise.

Do these come off relatively easy without pulling the paint off too, or are they designed such that once applied they're on for good?

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Rubber scuff protectors on saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 03:00:12 am »
They're made by Tech Spec. I like mine, but to each his own. Supposed to come off easily with a little heat from a hair dryer.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 05:37:05 am »
tank slapper film has C14 bag protection which is clear. I would use the 3M product.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:52 am »
You can also buy that 3M clear tape/film in short roles on Amazon and probably eBay. There is this place, too.  https://www.lamin-x.com/

2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:57:22 pm »
I bought a full kit of the 3M film pre-cut for my C14. It includes the film for the top of the hard bags. Did the same for my Z900RS.

Works excellent and is somewhat easy to apply.

http://thetankslapper.biz

In the early days kits were hard to come by so I bought film in rolls from XPEL and made my own shapes to apply to earlier bikes.

Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:50:56 pm »
Worth every dime on my right bag, for sure!
"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
Gen James Mattis

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:36:09 pm »
They're made by Tech Spec. I like mine, but to each his own. Supposed to come off easily with a little heat from a hair dryer.

Thanks ron.  Certainly didn't mean to offend ;D!  I can see their value.  I'm actually checking out the bike from the pic tomorrow so who knows - maybe they'll grow on me!

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 11:41:07 pm »
Thanks all for the clear film options.  I've put a few boot scuffs on my Bandit's Givi top case, but have never owned a bike with saddlebags and can imagine its nearly impossible to miss them with the boot.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 12:07:42 am »
until you spend your hard earned money, on a brand new pristine motorcycle, and the first day it's parked in your parking place at work and a co-worker wants to "mount" it.. and because of your pride you respond with "sure"... and they scuff a bag.... you won't understand the reasoning... that said, I've scuffed mine many times.. then learned to stand on the peg, and throw my leg over, and even now occasionally after 11 years, will slip up.

if the bags are pristine, even more reason to keep them that way.. if not, well, when you peel off the protectors, you will see why they were installed.

best of luck, and my response was directed to someone that has not owned this specific bike, and had to deal with the circumstances I noted.. if you buy one, you will understand.

best of luck in your purchases. :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 01:13:10 pm »

Thanks ron.  Certainly didn't mean to offend ;D!  I can see their value.  I'm actually checking out the bike from the pic tomorrow so who knows - maybe they'll grow on me!

Didn't take it that way at all. It's all  good!   :great: :great:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 06:45:15 pm »
Well worth the 3m for the top of the saddle bags. I still scuff mine occasionally but they mostly buff out. Don't ask me about the 3M film for the other parts of the bike. Not so easy to install. I had fun doing mine >:(

Phil
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 02:24:01 pm »

Didn't take it that way at all. It's all  good!   :great: :great:

In person, they're not bad and they're growing on me.  Ended up buying the bike, and since this is my first bike with bags I'm learning there's a lot of technique - and maybe doing yoga wouldn't hurt either  ;D - to getting on and off without catching them with your boot.  So I'm keeping 'em.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 05:18:10 pm »
I learned to step on the left foot peg first, stand up then bring the right foot over. Wax will polish scuff marks out. 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 02:44:41 am »
I learned to step on the left foot peg first, stand up then bring the right foot over. Wax will polish scuff marks out.

Thanks Tim - that sounds reasonable.  Once I've slimmed down and have that beach body I've always dreamed about, I'll give that technique a try.  I'm guessing good wax would also reduce scuffing in the first place.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 12:43:24 am »
Yeah at first I thought the TechSpec protectors looked fugly in the pictures of my bike before I bought it.  Now I love them!  Not only do they look much better in person, but in addition to the protective value I like the grip they give when opening/closing the bags.  In fact, rather than trying to get them off I've got a message into TechSpec for suggestions on how to reattach the corner of one that's peeled back a little. 

Ah, the irony ;D

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 01:56:24 am »
Yeah, that was kind of my progression, too. I was sort of "what?? but got the first ones because my wife kept kicking the bag. Now a couple  of years later, I do. So I added the rest of the set (front/back) and I like them.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 05:20:28 am »
If you can kick off Tank Slapper 3M film protectors I would be impressed. The 3M film is pretty much bullet proof and doesn't affect bag appearance.

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Bicycle
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: 12916
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 10:45:55 am »
Yeah, that was kind of my progression, too. I was sort of "what?? but got the first ones because my wife kept kicking the bag. Now a couple  of years later, I do. So I added the rest of the set (front/back) and I like them.

I think they look sharp, especially on a red Connie with black wheels. Accents the total "black & red" package. Very sharp and functional :great:

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 10:50:02 am »
Has anyone done the full Tankslapper kit?  I'm giving it serious consideration.

Craig

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 07:33:51 pm »
Has anyone done the full Tankslapper kit?  I'm giving it serious consideration.

Craig

I did, its a nice kit. It takes some practice to install, but you may have a local installer in your area that can do the kit.  It covers all leading edges and bags and tank and headlights and signals, but you know that. I installed one on my new Z900RS and even though it has WAY less plastics to cover it still took me 4 hours.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 07:48:07 pm »
I did one for my 09. I bought the Tank slapper film. Easy to apply on a HOT day. Follow directions and there is a learning curve. But the overall paint protection is very good. There are even pre cut film to protect the painted areas of the mirrors and under the windshield. Some areas really need 3m film and it's harder to install. (high wear area's on the tank)  I never did get the film installed to protect the head lights.  3M for the top of the bags is bullet proof and any scuff marks left on the outside edges will buff out with wax. 

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 09:45:58 pm »
Hot or warm day for install for sure. I did mine in my garage with space heaters running and a low speed fan in the winter. I got the garage up to mid 50's maybe almost to 60. But the fans were moving a lot of air and windblown particles so just a few pieces of lint, and specks made it under my film. You cannot see them unless you know where to look. But I see them all the time as I am OCD I think.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 10:44:00 pm »
Is the tankslapper film adhesive or static cling?

Craig

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 10:52:01 pm »

Craig

They do make a removable protective material that you cut to shape and then spray a water film on the surface and then squeegee the water out and it sticks fine. The 3M is a sticky film that is not permanent as you can remove it if you want, but its glue if you want to call it that is activated by rubbing alcohol solution and stays in place like a magnet. It will not move unless you grab it and peel it off.

Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 12:15:39 am »

Craig

The Tankslapper film is held on by static cling. The 3M stuff is held on with a sticky side.