Author Topic: Running Cool  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum Subsc
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Running Cool
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:57 pm »
My 2012 C14 seems to run cool and I wanted to ping the collective here to see what your gauge reads when you're underway.  Mine does not seem to stay at 2 bars but is frequently showing only one bar.  My previous bikes seem to obtain a usual temp and stay there so long as I'm not at idle speeds.

I'm wondering if I have a thermostat stuck open

Alf

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Running Cool
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:32:19 pm »
My 2012 C14 seems to run cool and I wanted to ping the collective here to see what your gauge reads when you're underway.  Mine does not seem to stay at 2 bars but is frequently showing only one bar.

By 2 bars, do you actually mean 3 bars? There are 6 all together. 3 bars will put you in the middle of the gauge.

Just wondering if you're counting the very bottom bar?

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum Subsc
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:42:22 pm »
Nope.  I'm not.  It hovers with the bar just below the midline being empty. 

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:50:32 pm »

Ok, if the bar below the midline is empty, then you're at two bars. Midline is 3 bars. So are you saying that the gauge actually goes down to only one bar? 

I do a lot of cold weather riding, and my temp gauge usually stays right on 3 bars (middle) when it's cold, and then will bump up to 4 bars on the hotter days. Stuck in traffic is a different story...I'll see 5 bars from time to time.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline mehush

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11038
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:29 am »
These things should have come with a numeric gauge. I feel your pain. Mine (2011) tends to range 3 to 5 as well. Whenever I stop and the airflow ceases across the rad the temp climbs quite quickly. If yours stays put at 2 bars there is likely an issue somewhere. Maybe thermostat, maybe temp sensor. Let the dealer look at it while it is still under warranty if you suspect a problem.

Offline JerryR_WA

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 1273
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:52 am »

Ok, if the bar below the midline is empty, then you're at two bars. Midline is 3 bars. So are you saying that the gauge actually goes down to only one bar? 

I do a lot of cold weather riding, and my temp gauge usually stays right on 3 bars (middle) when it's cold, and then will bump up to 4 bars on the hotter days. Stuck in traffic is a different story...I'll see 5 bars from time to time.

Similar here although at times I do go to 2 bars, but it is generally as you describe.

2010 C-14 (current), 1991 C-10 (sold), 1986 Seca 750 (sold), several dirt bikes (sold)

Offline Dave

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 02:11:11 am »
I think that if your thermostat was having issues one of the following would occur:

1 - If it was stuck closed you'd overheat not too far down the road

or

2 - If it was stuck open it'd take longer to warm up however would eventually reach normal operating tempurature.  I'm making an assumption that you're not riding in 20 degree weather.  If you are then this could be the cause however not in the summer. 

Just my 2 cents.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:24:01 am »
For most vehicles, I do not think that is quite right; if a thermostat sticks open (the usual failure mode), the engine will never reach normal operating temperature. The cooling system has more capacity to cool the engine than is needed and the thermostat is there partly to keep the operating temperature up in a desirable range (the other job of the thermostat is to warm the engine more rapidly from a cold start).

Brian

I think that if your thermostat was having issues one of the following would occur:

1 - If it was stuck closed you'd overheat not too far down the road

or

2 - If it was stuck open it'd take longer to warm up however would eventually reach normal operating tempurature.  I'm making an assumption that you're not riding in 20 degree weather.  If you are then this could be the cause however not in the summer. 

Just my 2 cents.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline JamesM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12553
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 06:08:07 pm »
I just picked up a 2013 in March 2014. Mine does the same thing, normally 2 bars, even on the highway. Slow speeds it gets up to 4 bars at times.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:30:04 am »
I came from a ZX14, so I don't worry about the temp gauge on the C14. That engine is hot running anyway. More so in the ZX version.

Putting Engine Ice coolant in (total replacement, not additive) dropped average temps by 1 bar across the board, pretty much.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:53:58 pm »
Most of these vague temp scale gauges are a glorified idiot light. Any wheres in the 'normal range' is good. Mine too runs 2 to 4 bars, about 5+ fan comes on. Stays near 2 when in cold temps. 3 to 4 when summer is here and moving...slow traffic or load the motor in the mtns or twisties, add a bar or more...
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...

Offline Cboothe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 03:08:08 am »
Ive learned the magic temp is 70 when below its at 2 bars when 70 or more its at 3 of course when stopped it climbs fast :beerchug: